It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I can't get a council house and its driving me mad!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

Perhaps you should repatriate to a country outside of the EU, then re-enter the UK as an illegal immigrant. You'll have a 6 bedroom house in no time at all !

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Dunno What to say to you....

sadly this is how the UK works... if you work your life you get nothing (unless stupid ill or somthing), if you dont work all your life you get lots...

There are things you can do.. instead of getting a Council house, go to the job centre explain the situation and ask if you can have your rent subsisised, if you they allow that, (might be easier to get your other half to do that) if you can approach private letters and ask them if they will accept housing support money and explain there situation to them, it may work.

See you dont need a council house to get up to £350 for your rent if it is a justifiable scenario.. you may need to lie a little about you not having anywhere to stay once the child is born, but it might help you out a hole.

Does you other half work? if she does manditory Pay for Maternity works out roughly £540 a month, if she doesnt have a job at the moment, tell her to get one... i know it will be hard but its another £540 a month plus working tax credits afterwards and child benefit, you would come out around £1700 a month between u's with everything and you can live on that and pay you rent... i know this for a fact as me and my girlfriend have house (private) from her maternity pay, plus child benefits plus my wage we clear about £1800 and we can live on that, pay rent, pay tax, pay electricty, we have pets ( a few birds) we have a one year old, i drive (we have two cars but she's learning at the moment) and i have Decent broadband and satelite tv, we dont eat junk food or frozen pre made food, all our food is made from scratch using fresh ingredients and we have a (relativley) active social life.

And all of that on no other benefits than working tax credits and child benefit (when she goes back to work my mum watches the wee man three days a week during work hours)

Im not saying its always easy, we dont get to go out as much as we did because of the wee man.. but those sacrafices are worth it.

so as i said, your options are...

Get your lady to get a job, get working tax credits and child benefits.

Or private hire with an attempt at housing support money from the government but it will take a little bit of convincing...

i know it seems like a massive hill to clime but it is do-able.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

Originally posted by ALOSTSOUL
You seem to have it in your head that im some sort of lay about? I have just finish a 14 day (straight) over haul working between 12-18 hour days. I have tomorrow off then I have to work for another 7 days straight.

And you expect to raise a child?

he does have a partner

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
My best advise to you mate is to take your new family to a better country like aus or canada. the uk is f******ed.
My partner and i work all the hours god sends and we have nothing to show for it. this country is a joke. If i were younger i would leave this Sh******hole in a heart beat.
all the best to you.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
After having to leave my council house & go to a refuge with my 2 small children they would not get my husband out to allow us back in due to his violent threats of burning it down. I had to wait 13 yrs to get offered another in a very undesirable area which I had to accept as I was working 3 jobs to pay high private rent.
I recently heard about a Polish lady who not being in the country for long was given a council flat. It was also refurbished for her. Since then she has moved in with her boyfriend and rents the council flat out.
I think the system is unfair to its own.
I also enquired about some empty council houses only to be told they were reserved for people coming out of prison!

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Oh..... and the Polish lady owns property in Poland

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

If you owned a corporation would you put money into it to keep it healthy?.
Would you put money back into the corporation that the corporation generates for you?.
As for taxes, i guess your someone who believes you should have 24% of your wages taken from you and that you should expect nothing in return.
You have a fair and reasonable expectation to have something returned to you by way of a social net for the amount of money you put in.
As for the OP, Congrats on the baby, If you become Homeless the council will help you, but short of that they see that you are in accomodation at your parents house and as such are not currently Homeless.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I really do sympathise with you, and don't listen to the negative comments about you should have thought of all this before you became in the family way. I too work hard and no, get no govt assistance for any damn thing. Sometimes you think you;d be better off sitting on your @rse taking handouts left and right and having a lot of free time on your hands. But keep trying for a better life, at least it does your soul good to truly earn what you get. These days a lot of families are sharing for longer, which is just like the good ol days! I agree with sussy's comments about making do where you are instead of aiming for a govt house or flat. I wouldn't want to raise my children in some of those neighbourhoods. Maybe keep your eye out for a granny flat joined to a bigger house? As long as your folks are cool about it and your partner isn't at you to move out, stay where you are. And feel lucky you have family that can help you get a head start. Concentrate on that wonderful little bundle of joy and maybe plan to have inexpensive weekends away so you guys can have time out as your own little family.

Good luck my friend and cheers from DownUnder.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Paint your face black and forge your passport and tell them your a refugee from Somali and you'll be living in a £1 million pound mansion in no time. Or be honest and join the long cue...............

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Elvis Hendrix

Sorry to break it to you but Australia is just as full of rapidly breeding immigrants as any other civilised/ westernized/ developed country. The latest variety is male Afghani refugees that arrive by boat, having travelled though many other countries where they could have sought asylum. But no, they want to come and live with us infidels not with their muslim brothers in any one of the countries they have passed through. Why do you think that is?

They fill our government housing, welfare offices and public schools, get our public swimming pools to close so muslim women can swim privately without evil white men looking on, protest singing the national anthem at school, push to bring in sharia law, treat our laws with contempt and breed like ferals. Sound familiar?

Better off in Australia? Maybe, but not for long. We should never have cancelled the White Australia Policy. Having said that, I'm not completely against welcoming people from other lands, but that only works when you have a strong government that won't let itself be pushed around by minorities self-interests.

Good luck to you.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stovokor
IMHO, you should of thought about the financial cost of raising a child before you did the deed that results in baby making.

Although I agree with the sentiment of the thread regarding government covering ones costs, i feel that this statement is the pits and sounds like something you'd expect from a psychopath or a teenager.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by sunshinesmile
reply to post by Elvis Hendrix

Sorry to break it to you but Australia is just as full of rapidly breeding immigrants as any other civilised/ westernized/ developed country. The latest variety is male Afghani refugees that arrive by boat, having travelled though many other countries where they could have sought asylum. But no, they want to come and live with us infidels not with their muslim brothers in any one of the countries they have passed through. Why do you think that is?

They fill our government housing, welfare offices and public schools, get our public swimming pools to close so muslim women can swim privately without evil white men looking on, protest singing the national anthem at school, push to bring in sharia law, treat our laws with contempt and breed like ferals. Sound familiar?

Better off in Australia? Maybe, but not for long. We should never have cancelled the White Australia Policy. Having said that, I'm not completely against welcoming people from other lands, but that only works when you have a strong government that won't let itself be pushed around by minorities self-interests.

Good luck to you.

Australia's population is rapidly shrinking. If we did not bring in immigrants the birth rate is way to low to support our current infrastructure, work force, military, or care for the elderly.

On the other hand, i have to agree with everything you've said about bowing to the demands of immigrants minorities.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gravity215

Originally posted by Stovokor
IMHO, you should of thought about the financial cost of raising a child before you did the deed that results in baby making.

Although I agree with the sentiment of the thread regarding government covering ones costs, i feel that this statement is the pits and sounds like something you'd expect from a psychopath or a teenager.

Are you suggesting all teenagers are psychopathic? I actually agree that people should consider the consequences before reproducing offspring. Creating a new life is a big deal and not to be taken lightly.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

Originally posted by ALOSTSOUL
You seem to have it in your head that im some sort of lay about? I have just finish a 14 day (straight) over haul working between 12-18 hour days. I have tomorrow off then I have to work for another 7 days straight.

And you expect to raise a child?

My hours aren't always like this, its really busy at work at the moment because of the grand prix season.

ALS

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by kindred

Paint your face black and forge your passport and tell them your a refugee from Somali and you'll be living in a £1 million pound mansion in no time. Or be honest and join the long cue..........

All the council estates around here are filled with WHITE ENGLISH people.

It's easy to blame immigrants, but the reality is far from the Daily mail headlines.

As for the OP, I really struggle to understand why you can't make it. In addition to your income, there are credits you qualify for. I grew up in a family where only my dad worked and then my mum once my dad left. There were four of us kids and we made it. It was hard, I remember the Christmas's that weren't and the nights lit by candles, but you know...it made me a better person, seeing my parents struggle to make ends meet. Your hard work and obvious love for your partner and child are worth so much more then any "stuff" they might be missing out on.

You have your pride, isn't that worth something?

My partner and I both work. A few months back I found my self unexpectantly pregnant. We could have terminated and been secure in our nice life, but..I am much older then my partner, and I knew this would probably be my last chance, so..we decided I would quit work and we would live off of his salary ( he brings home the same as you). It meant, no more holidays, no more long weekends, no more gadgets, no more fancy dinners out..ect; we would have had just enough to pay the bills, eat and buy ONLY the bare essentials. I don't' know where you live, but I live in the most expensive county in England, and working the numbers we could see we COULD do it, hard as hell, but possible.

My pregnancy ended up being Ectopic and I lost the baby so I'm still in work, but we dont' use BC and though it is highly ( drs said not gonna happen) unlikely I will get pregnant again, if I did we would go back to our initial plan and I would become a stay at home parent whilst my partner worked his butt to provide us with the essentials.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Mate where have you been? You are NEVER going to get a council house, for the following reasons.

1) You work
2) You're British
3) You work
4) You're British
5) You're a working family
6) You're British

It sucks, but mate, this is how it's been for the last 20 years! It was never like this in the 80's, but believe me it's like it now.

I remember when I had the same trouble a few years ago, I was told then that this is how it is. I've worked alongside councils, mate they all say the same thing.

Your best bet is to either live with a relative or studio flat or rent a room, possibly leave your mrs, she cant afford to stay in that place with the kid, she will be bumped up with her housing points, , get back with her. This is like fiddling the system, but I'm sick of workers getting thrown to the bottom in exchange for our own unemployable lazy ponses and unemployable immigrants! Sick of it!

Play the system mate!

As for people who say you should've thought about that before having a kid. So should the immigrants and unemployable, but no one ever says anything to them other than give them everything for free.

Good luck mate!

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
What do you do for Mclaren? £1100 is not alot, does your Patner work?
You should be able to find a 2 bedroom home for between £450-550 pmc in Northamptonshire. Now add the fact that you will recive help in the form of child tax credits and child benift its not looking so bad.

You need to go down to the job centre and find out what you are entitled to and stop thinking it's all bad. I'm thinking you are quite young and you are on a training program because you earn £1100 pmc. if so you are just starting off in life and maybe need to remember you can't have the best of everything and will have to buy cheap stuff.
I got most of my daughters stuff off ebay and family to start with, then just kept adding. In time i have built a nice home for my daughter and myself.

It gets better honest.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Merigold

Where do you live?

Believe me, that's an exception and it doesn't have to be a council estate! Council housing can be in the form of new developments, houses owned and leased to the council. Believe me, in my vast experience up and down this country, what you're saying may be true for your area, but it is not true for the rest of England (can't speak for Scotland, N.Ireland and Wales).

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
You work for McLaren ?
Get me a job mate and you can move into my house

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Merigold

I was simply being humourous, I'm single and unfortunately unemployed and on £260 a month and I pay £170 a month rent and I can manage, so I find it hard to believe that someone on £1100 a month is struggling. I'll trade you places.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join