It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spill of 275,000 gallons of heavy fuel oil in Mobile Alabama

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Another one... I bet the seafood and the water will just get better and better...

Spill of 275,000 gallons of heavy fuel oil closes Mobile River

About 275,000 gallons of heavy fuel oil spilled in the middle of the night at the Gulf Coast Asphalt Company's facility on the Mobile River.

An unknown amount of oil flowed into the Mobile River, according to Coast Guard officials, who closed the river to all traffic between the Cochrane Africatown USA Bridge and the south end of McDuffie Island. Officials said a large portion of the spill remained on land.

Oil could be seen floating across a broad area of the river's surface by 10 a.m. Containment boom could be seen floating on the river, though oil appeared to be moving past it.

Yay for oil!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Yay for oil!

I am assuming that you walk or ride a bicycle everywhere? I also am assuming by your statement that you don’t use pharmaceuticals and only a few non oil derived plastics.

Naturally you’d be a hypocrite if you did.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

well I actually don't own a car or take pills...but in any case what options do they leave people. Oil companies buy up and shelf any tech that would let us shake the use of oil for power...I don't think it's an option for many people to just not use it. People have to feed families and a lot of times working requires getting places...seems like damned if you do damned if you don't...

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike

Yay for oil!

I am assuming that you walk or ride a bicycle everywhere? I also am assuming by your statement that you don’t use pharmaceuticals and only a few non oil derived plastics.

Seeing that your bicycle tires are made of petroleum products and also the rubber of your soles, I guess no matter what people are hypocrites.

But it's not like they are left with many choices, seeing the oil companies just buy anything that threatens their profit margin.

Pred...

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Hopefully, the article is truthful and the bulk of the oil will remain on land where it can be better contained.

Here's wishing no *corexit* will be used on this one.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Not to far from me actually and it figures they keep spilling oil so much these days into the ocean and lands and just everywhere. They will not be satisfied til the whole place is tar and feathered forever.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike

Yay for oil!

Yeah well I drive as little as possible. And I grow some of my food at my home.

But really, oil is EVERYWHERE... you cannot avoid it... food you eat? Took oil to grow it/transport it. Plastic is in basically everything... And no I'm not taking pharmaceuticals.

Anyway, I think we should move to hemp instead of oil.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I live in Mobile. I will try to keep y'all updated. It's in the Mobile River, which is pretty much just a shipping lane/loading/unloading area for freight.It's been nasty for years. I live off Mobile Bay & have been eating crabs, shrimp & fish out of the bay and Dog River all summer. The way our currents push, this shouldn't be a huge problem. THOUGH, whoever was responsible should get the chair in my opinion.
It's not a PR thing in out area. The seafood is safe here & our rivers & bay are still beautiful. I see them every day.
edit on 1-9-2011 by bunnydisaster because: (no reason given)

top topics

join