It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michael Phelps and what it means for America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I was quite heartened to see Michael Phelps give up his spot on the US relay team simply to allow a fellow team member and rival the oppurtunity to win a gold in the pool for himself. Phelps will also recieve his 6th gold as he participated in the prelims for the event. However, he gave up th oppurtunity for further glory and the breaking of a world record to help a teammate. In American sports these days this level of sacrafice has become rare. Phelps acted as a member of a team as opposed to acting as an individual. As a counter point one only has to look as far as the US Mens Basketball team. We have a team that is acting as individuals. The losses they have incured has been due to this.

What does this mean for our country as a whole? Too often we become bogged down in the me me me syndrome and do not think or worse even care what is happening to our society as a whole. I don't expect everybody to love thy neighbor, meerly be more aware of the consequences of the actions that you as an individual make. I for one am taking a look at decisons I make and thier impact beyond me and my family.

Ill step off my soap box and get back to posting now

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 03:24 AM
link   
hehe phelps is all about me me me. Remember his boasting before the olympic games?? he sure quietened down by his spin doctors and sponsors to help improve his public image and to make ppl think he wasn't being a wanker

It just goes to show when someone overestimates himself to see the reality of competition at the olympics. Neverless he has potential to be one of the all time greats if he just keeps up good sportsmanship and keeps down the arrogance

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Winning the 100 m freestyle has much higher value than all the gold medals of Phelps.

join