It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College Is First in the U.S. to Ask Applicants About Sexual Orientation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

College Is First in the U.S. to Ask Applicants About Sexual Orientation

news.yahoo.com

The small liberal arts school, located west of Chicago, has become the first in the nation to add a question about sexual orientation to its college application.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
My first thought is why is this important enough to merit asking on a college admissions.

I can't come up with any reason this should be on admissions paper work, no mater how liberal the school.

Later in the article it claims its for scholarships on under represented minorities...

Is it me or does this sound like a case of separate but more than equal?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Eta: Just thought of this, if its for scholarships how do they check this? Id lie to get a scholar ship so how are they going to monitor that?
edit on 1-9-2011 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrlEta: Just thought of this, if its for scholarships how do they check this? Id lie to get a scholar ship so how are they going to monitor that?
edit on 1-9-2011 by benrl because: (no reason given)

Hell, I'll paint my nails and bleach my hair for a free-ride!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I've snogged boys and girls so what, can I get an application for being bisexual or even pansexual ?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Some colleges are trying co-ed dorms

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And due to the high risk of "hate crime" a college may want to avoid putting too many gay and straight people together?

I don't know their exact reason but that's my guess.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by derickonfire

For a third of tuition cost... I might do a lot more than that, college is damn expensive now days...

LGBT students will now be considered among other groups of underrepresented students for the financial award, which covers up to one third of the cost of tuition.

As Michael Keaton said in The Other Guys;

"I'm workin two jobs. I'm workin here and I got another job at Bed, Bath & Beyond. Okay, I'm doin that just to put a kid through NYU so he can explore his bi-sexuality, become a DJ."
edit on 1-9-2011 by benrl because: qoute

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
The answer to that question is easy, "not your darn business", that is what I will write if I was the applicant, but then again that is because I think that my sexual "orientations" is my personal business.

Still many young people have no problem expressing theirs, but then again is about personal choice, right?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I wonder if that college offers courses in sexual studies? Or, better yet, a co-op term in sexuality? Rawr.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Reminds me of my Navy papers when I enlisted.
The block said Sex:___ I put as much as I can

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
It seems to me they would want to be asking these days just for some idea of where incoming students fit for the resources being put out on any one of many programs geared toward the Gay community. I'm kinda shocked this hasn't been asked long before now, given the finances going toward those programs and other education/outreach efforts.

I personally think sexual orientation has no place in schools, in ANY way outside of biology or other classes where such topics may be a part of the material....but then where are normal folk asked their opinion about any of this, anymore?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack
reply to post by benrl

I've snogged boys and girls so what, can I get an application for being bisexual or even pansexual ?

Pansexual!!
I love it!

If anyone should be biased for this it would be a transgendered person like myself. I think its nothing but sexual affirmative action. I want to be protected from prejudice because I am both sexes but it should not make the playing field uneven!

The world has become crazier than me!

edit on 1-9-2011 by SeleneLux because: Long nails make it hard to type

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I don't get why it matters. The only thing is maybe for dorming purposes? Although if they have cord dorms, again I don't see the point at all. But then again, ever since I was old enough to know that people were discriminated against, I never understood why someone's differences mattered to another person.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruePatriot1685
I never understood why someone's differences mattered to another person.

You are a secure understanding person if you feel this way.

I guess It threatens them and there world? I don't know...I think people should love the differences of each other and see all the colors instead of just a few.

new topics

top topics

join