It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Hell Real?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
To Hell and Back
There have been a plethera of threads on the idea of hell, here on ATS recently. I thought this may be an appropriate time and place to post this story. I'm not trying to troll here, well maybe a little, but this a sincere offering to ATS.

I grew up in a church exactly like the one in this story, so I can relate. My beliefs align somewhat with this preacher's belief. I say somewhat, because I question the deification, validity of the virgin birth and the ressurection of Christ. I believe that I understand the metaphysical implications of the story, but do not align myself with Christianity.

This is the story of Carlton Pearson. A Pentecostal Bishop with a Tulsa mega ministry operating through the blessing and backing of Oral Roberts.

As he studied the Hebrew and Greek translations of the Bible, he notice discrepancies in the King James version. He started to question God's wisdom and love when observing global and personal events. Through conversations with his Lord, his belief system was changed and he began preaching that Jesus died for the sins of the world, and unless he was unsuccessfull, his blood covers all sinners. He began preaching there is no hell, only grace and redemption. Anything less is to doubt the strength of "the blood of Christ."

That's when his own personal hell began, and those to whom he ministered, turned against him.

How do you ATSers feel about this guys story?

youtu.be...

youtu.be...

youtu.be...

youtu.be...

edit on 1-9-2011 by windword because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-9-2011 by windword because: l

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
It's as real as everything else in the Bible. Which is to say, it's not real at all.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I have always found the idea of hell completly insane.

I dont know what else to say, just never bought it from when i was too young to make up my mind, till the day i was given the option to not go to church anymore at the age of 12.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Now this is where I stopped beliving in this religious mumbojumbo because this so called all loving God allowed evil in the first place, if he did not he wouldn't create a place for people to suffer for howlong they've been put there
letting someone suffer for so long is hardly all loving... even if they did break some form of "rules"

so imo, it doesn't exist

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
No hell isn't real. It wasn't even a tennant of early christianity, it was added later on. Doesn't stop it being an interesting topic though!

Take a look at how other religions treat hell:
www.neatorama.com...

It's a purification process in most of them, and generally ends with the soul being allowed into paradise.
A not so subtle allusion to the suffering on earth being transcended perhaps?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by David291

I'd really recommend reading some theology if you don't understand how a loving god could allow evil.
Basically the jews believed that before this world there were othere worlds (The book of Zohar refers to these as the realms of the Edomite kings), of different balances between good and evil.
A world entirely composed of good isn't actually a good world, because people have no choice. Furthermore, if only good things happened, they wouldn't be good things, they'd just be normal things. The adversary serves as the yin to Gods yang. (Although to be honest its more a result of the Persians kicking the Babylonians in and the Jew's adding vast parts of Zorastianism to their own faith...)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Jesus mentioned hell many times in the N.T. so if He lied about that then he lied about everything

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I'm not able to watch the YouTube vids now but based upon this -

Originally posted by windword
he began preaching that Jesus died for the sins of the world, and unless he was unsuccessfull, his blood covers all sinners. He began preaching there is no hell, only grace and redemption. Anything less is to doubt the strength of "the blood of Christ."

I think he's spot-on. That is, I think there is a Hell, but I don't think it's what the mainstream Christian denominations say it is. Certainly not a place of eternal torment for what they tell you are the "unsaved". I'm looking forward to watching the videos later to see what else he has to say. I checked on a couple of articles about him i found through Google, and he sounds like someone with whom I have a lot in common.

Yeah, you're not going to make many friends in any established church hierarchy with scriptural truth. They're all about the dogma, the fear, and the control. For the most part. Gross generalization, but you know what I mean.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
if letting yourself die the same as suiside?

because jesus would be going to hell, now thats how you redeem mans sin!!

Jesus went to hell and back, thats way cooler sounding, christans: Just suckers for a good book

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by micmerci

Um.... any references for that? Been a while since I read that, but Im pretty sure he doesnt in any of the gosples...
(Willing to admit Im wrong if you have passages to cite, but Im not willing to go through all of the new testiment to prove you wrong lol)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

For those who can't or don't want to sit through a 40 minute documentary, the transcript is available at the link that I provided at the top of my original OP, "To Hell and Back."

I find the videos to be very compelling, and toward the end, it brings a tear to my eye. I would love to hear about your opinions of his "Gospel of Inclusion," and your reaction to the decision by the church to expell him.
edit on 1-9-2011 by windword because: "

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by MaxSteiner

Matthew 5:22
But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of HELL fire.

Matthew 5:29
And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast [it] from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not [that] thy whole body should be cast into hell.

Matthew 5:30
And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast [it] from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not [that] thy whole body should be cast into hell.

Matthew 10:28
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 11:23
And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works, which have been done in thee, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day.

Matthew 16:18
And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of HELL shall not prevail against it.

Matthew 18:9
And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast [it] from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into HELL fire.

Matthew 23:15
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of HELL than yourselves.

Matthew 23:33
[Ye] serpents, [ye] generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?

Mark 9:43
And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

Mark 9:45
And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

Mark 9:47
And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into HELL fire:

Luke 10:15
And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted to heaven, shalt be thrust down to hell.

Luke 12:5
But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

Luke 16:23
And in HELL he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Early versions of the Bible contained no mention of the word hell. It first appeared in the 1600's. One reason for this descrepancy in Bibles may be the translation of the word hell. In english we just assume that hell is hell, but in reality, hell is a metaphore for damned places.

There may well have been a "lake of fire" in the vicinity of middle east civilations. We have all seen tar pits, if lightening strikes a tar pit, you get a lake of fire that will burn until the fuel is gone. In the 1960's, Standard Oil, near LAX, was struck by lightening. You could see the piller of smoke and fire from San Diego. Something like that would certainly create a lasting impression on anybody.

In biblical reference, hell may have been actually describing a place of saddness, loneliness, darkness, extreem heat, a snake pit, etc., then all these references all to the human condition and suffering were lumped together into one word.....hell.

I don't believe that Jesus actually threatened an eternal hell, but taught that certain acts lead to the suffering we wish to avoid.
Hell's Scholar's Corner

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Wowza, I accede the point to you in that case my good man!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by micmerci
Jesus mentioned hell many times in the N.T. so if He lied about that then he lied about everything

Hell doesn't exist my friend...

Look up the word hell in biblical terms...

www.sciforums.com...

Often ignored and overlooked are two things: the history and deeper meanings of these passages, and the passages which clearly refer to hell as a place of non-existence and bodily decay. To examine further some of the passages referring to hell as a place of torment, let us consider the following passages.

A word often used in scripture in reference to hell is Gehenna. Gehennas' true meaning has been forgotten by the passage of time. Gehenna was a well-known location in the time of Christ. Contrary to popular belief, Gehenna was not a place of other worldly fiery torment. Gehenna was a location just outside of Jerusalem.

Gehenna was a garbage dump. Used by Jews of the time to get rid of, or destroy things. Gehenna was a place to cast ones garbage, dead and diseased bodies, the bodies of criminals, and other refuse. In order to ensure complete and utter destruction, the Jews kept the fires of Gehenna always burning. Often fueling the fires with sulfur. Gehenna was a large valley often resembling, because of its size, a “burning lake of fire”. Many things aside from garbage were thrown into Gehenna. Often, the bodies of diseased dead people were thrown into Gehenna to ensure the diseases utter destruction and removal from populated areas. Also commonly thrown into the fires were the bodies of criminals, seen as a somewhat cleansing of society by utterly destroying the offenders. The fires of Gehenna were kept perpetually burning to utterly consume the corrupt things which were thrown into it.

When Christ was referring to Gehenna, He was therefore not referring to a place one goes after death. Gehenna would have been an inappropriate word to use to describe such a place. As those who would have heard him use this reference would not have associated it with an afterwordly place of punishment. They certainly would have associated it with the burning garbage dump.

See Matthew 10:28 28 "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in Gehenna.”

SO...

Live in fear of hell if you chose to... but heres a tip just for fun.

Having fear in your life affects no one but yourself.

try to remember that

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Sheesh - Hell seems to be a popular topic these days. I would say if there was a hell it is nothing like people claim with fire and brimstone and flesh melting and such. No, you'd just have to work as a call center guy making $10.50 an hour who lives in the basement with his mom who needs her regular washings and changings. Add to the fact the tin-foil rabbit ears on the tv, nothing in the fridge but loads of butter, and NO women in the whole place. For eternity.

CJ

new topics

top topics

join