It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E-book... every step canning...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
This free e-book is the home caner's bible... do all tell all... usual reference cited when writing about canning...
The book is open-source and free to redistribute ... to big to just copy paste here so I'm going to send you to another site The Project Gutenburg eBook a great place for free e-books
CONTENTS
I. GETTING READY TO CAN
II. SOFT FRUITS AND BERRIES
III. HARD FRUITS
IV. VEGETABLES
V. SOUPS
VI. JELLIES, JAMS, PRESERVES, MARMALADES, FRUIT JUICES AND SIRUPS
VII. MEAT
VIII. FISH
IX. EASY METHODS OF CANNING IN TIN
X. INTERMITTENT CANNING OR FRACTIONAL STERILIZATION
XI. WHY CANNED GOODS SPOIL
XII. GETTING READY TO DRY
XIII. HOW TO DRY FRUITS
XIV. HOW TO DRY VEGETABLES
XV. EVERY STEP IN BRINING
XVI. CURING, SMOKING AND PRESERVING MEAT
XVII. PRESERVED OR "CANNED" EGGS
XVIII. HOME STORAGE OF VEGETABLES
XIX. HOW TO MARKET HOME CANNED PRODUCE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Click here for your copy

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Thanks DB! You can never have too much information on canning, especially this time of year!
Yea! Putting up Applesauce this weekend! lots of work but so worth it!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I have a copy of this book, it is very informative and a valuable addition to any library.

Good thread DB. I love reading your stuff.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

we had baked apples last night...
just core an apple fill the hole with butter and brown sugar, wrap it foil and bake in a water bath... yum...

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Thank you. I made my first attempt at canning last week, and only one of my jars of green beans came out where the lid didn't do the poppy thing, so any additional information I can get my hands on before I start canning my peas and tomatoes is extremely welcomed. After spending all that money on equipment, I am determined to make it work.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Thanks for the post, I was just lately considering canning some fruits and vegetables and was going to call my mom and ask her how to do it. She did a lot when I was a kid but that was a long time ago and I was too young to remember.
Did not know you could can soup so thanks for the recipes.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

Aside from sterilizing the jars, lids and rings ... always be sure to wipe clean the rim and threads of each jar prior to placing the lid and ring on, as even the slightest of 'spillage or leftovers' on the rim can and will prevent a good seal.

I had a batch of Md Crab Soup that didn't seal properly on 3-4 jars, and each and every one had the ever-so-slightest 'hair' of crab meat on the rim upon further inspection.

Initially, they did seal, but after a few days 3-4 'popped' their tops up... so to speak

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

dont want that...
if it doesn't seal it will start to ferment pretty quickly...
we top our jars with a thin layer of wax... that way we dont worry about over filling...

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Ah, thanks!. I think that's what must have happened. I sterilized the rim and lids, but I didn't wipe around the rim of the jar. Oh well, it was my first time, and I knew I was forgetting something.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

A cheap but near essential tool in canning, if you ask me

canning funnel

less mess when ladling in the contents, and it really helps to avoid spillage onto to rim/threads.

$2 +/-

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Now that's pretty slick....
I've just used a laddie ...
now I'm going to have to see if I can get one off Amazon...

See you guys ... even I learn something new every day...

thanks for the heads up

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Daddybare I have enjoyed your very practical threads.

I am fortunate enough to have a hard copy of this, be it falling apart at the seam's. You might already be aware of it, it is an excellent book. It was passed down to me by family that actually used it.

Here is a link, it is out of copyright and available for download.

Moore's Universal Assistant

Archive.org

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

the system is down right now But I'll be sure to check back later
Thank you...

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Thanks
that'll go nice on my device.. hope to get the chance to print it (need lots more ink
)

I know all things being equal the world could go in a direction that makes ebooks worthless unless printed, but for all other occasions I got myself a cheap ebook reader to store my library and a wind up USB charger should I ever find myself without power.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

Have to agree with Chiefs there, you can never have too much info on canning!!

Thank you DB for yet another very good resource on a 'survival' skill that a lot of people, I think, tend to overlook as it is 'old timey'... but I can attest to the fact that a well stocked panty of home canned goods can really help when money is tight and you still want to eat well! Not to mention you know where it came from and you know what is in it!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull

Thanks
that'll go nice on my device.. hope to get the chance to print it (need lots more ink
)

I know all things being equal the world could go in a direction that makes ebooks worthless unless printed, but for all other occasions I got myself a cheap ebook reader to store my library and a wind up USB charger should I ever find myself without power.

Walmart sells a small inverter to power a laptop... plugs into a cig, lighter in my car or truck...
have used it in time of power-outages to run a couple of lights and the TV for storm updates...

my little one cost like $35.... I also have a big one in the camper that will run a small fridge plus TV plus, plus plus...

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

What temp and how long? Thanks a lot friend

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by MarshMallow_Snake

Backed apples ...
1 Preheat oven to 375°F. Wash apples. Remove cores to 1/2 inch of the bottom of the apples. It helps if you have an apple corer, but if not, you can use a paring knife to cut out first the stem area, and then the core. Use a spoon to dig out the seeds. Make the holes about 3/4-inch to an inch wide.

2 In a small bowl, combine the sugar, cinnamon, currants/raisins, and pecans. Place apples in a 8-inch-by-8-inch square baking pan. Stuff each apple with this mixture. Top with a dot of butter (1/4 of the Tbps).

3 Add boiling water to the baking pan. Bake 30-40 minutes, until tender, but not mushy. Remove from the oven and baste the apples several times with the pan juices.

Serve warm with icecream on the side.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
DaddyBare thanks for all of the practical knowledge you post here, I tend to not post very often, but rest assured, I'm reading and saving these documents. I have a ton of them I've converted to pdf files. I just converted this one as I find it easier than having bookmarks to websites.

Every Step Canning

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Awesome thread.

I am into canning and preserving as well. I wanted to put up a link to my favorite supplier of equipment for this hobby...

www.territorialseed.com...

Thanks for the thread.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join