It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks: Iraqi children in U.S. raid shot in head, U.N. says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

WikiLeaks: Iraqi children in U.S. raid shot in head, U.N. says

www.mcclatchydc.com

A U.S. diplomatic cable made public by WikiLeaks provides evidence that U.S. troops executed at least 10 Iraqi civilians, including a woman in her 70s and a 5-month-old infant, then called in an airstrike to destroy the evidence, during a controversial 2006 incident in the central Iraqi town of Ishaqi.

an autopsy showed the residents of the house had been handcuffed and shot in the head, including children under the age of 5

Ishaqi, about 80 miles northwest of Baghdad, not far from Saddam
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Kids handcuffed and then shot in the head?
Then an airstrike to destroy the evidence?

In any case i'm sure this is just the tip of the iceburg, i'm sure

But I don't see the use of handcuffing kids and shooting them in the head though, what purpose does that serve?

It's very sad, the wars need to end now
But despite all these findings things may not change
People will still vote for war-mongers/profiteers/sadists

But it CAN change
Your greatest enemy is apathy, remember that
Do not have a defeatist attitude, nothing will change then

www.mcclatchydc.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

ya we will never know the extent of our disgusting behavior.

leave it to the UN to shine a light on this.

and wikileaks.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Shocking if its true, especially since US troops are never held accountable for their actions...
Remember the heinous crimes which happened in Osaka? All those soldiers were let off scot free and just moved to another base (amongst them was stuff like murder and the rape of young teenage girls, talking under 14 years old here), almost resulted in the US base there being shut down.

The US seemingly doesn't recognise international law now.
Illegal regime change of soverign countries? Check
Arming insurgents ilegally? Check
Illegal assasination? Check and were so proud of it the president felt the need to take credit.
Use of rockets and bombs to kill individuals in hotels and hospitals? Check
Torture of prisoners in contravention of the Geneva conventions? Check.
Use of banned shotgun shells in warzones? Check.

All that is off the top of my head as well.
What makes it all worse is that they;re the first to complain about crimes commited at their own troops...
The world needs to super powers to keep each other in check, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

edit on 1-9-2011 by MaxSteiner because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
IF this truly happened the soldiers involved need to be tried by a military tribunal. Sick people join the military too... just have to realize what those sicko's will do when given basically free reign to make judgements on the fly.... Should the rest of the U.S. or its people pay for that person.... NO

The person(s) involved should pay, no one else... If a general was involved in the air strike decision, then they too should pay. The guy that did the air strike likely had no knowledge of what he was hitting, more or less just paid to hit a target.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

This is called terror. The very thing we claim to be fighting. It is, however an important strategy of war. (shudders to self)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Saddest thing is, that american public opinion will shut their eyes, or simply disregard it in their fear induced delirium.

Sick, I believe entire american nation is indirectly responsible for events like that.
And one thing for sure...this wasn't one-time incident.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Although the article says they were all handcuffed and shot in the head, the photographs of the "corpses" do not have head wounds. There are also other incongruences in the story and the photographs, if you look closely.

Just sayin'.
edit on 9/1/2011 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by longtermproject

Can you think of any US soldiers tried for war crimes though?
Ever?

They just don't seem to be held to the same standards we hold the rest of the world too.
(Same in the UK though, draw out the trial so that the media stops covering it, and then let them off and reassign them to non frontline duty...)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread already on ATS. But nice fins on the articel, some good info in that - which I borrowed to add to the other thread - sorry abour that! lol

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by longtermproject
Should the rest of the U.S. or its people pay for that person.... NO

Why the hell not? US foreign policy openly applies common responsibility, why Afganistan was invaded? Or why Yemen is being bombed? Or Pakistan? Why normal people have to pay such a dire price for actions of people whom often they don't even share the nationality.

You let those sick-puppies join the military, you trained them, and you sent them as a foreign aid.

We, the people, huh?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
Although the article says they were all handcuffed and shot in the head, the photographs of the "corpses" do not have head wounds. There are also other incongruences in the story and the photographs, if you look closely.

Just sayin'.
edit on 9/1/2011 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

That was just stock photogrqaphy of some kids. Don't take things so literally.

And we know you are saying, you don't need to tell us.
edit on 1-9-2011 by Shamatt because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by longtermproject
IF this truly happened the soldiers involved need to be tried by a military tribunal. Sick people join the military too... just have to realize what those sicko's will do when given basically free reign to make judgements on the fly.... Should the rest of the U.S. or its people pay for that person.... NO

The person(s) involved should pay, no one else... If a general was involved in the air strike decision, then they too should pay. The guy that did the air strike likely had no knowledge of what he was hitting, more or less just paid to hit a target.

I'm sorry but I must disagree.

If you read the article its says the the US government had access to this information and said it was untrue and didn't warrant an investigation. For them to now punish a couple of people because they got pie on their face and were proven to know about these abuses and did nothing just isn't good enough. All of those who knew of this and intentionally covered it up should also be punished.

By the same token, as a US citizen, if I help cover up a crime, I'm held legally responsible for it, even if I had no part in committing the original crime. Why should this be any different.

On a side note, where are all of the people saying that we had to overthrow Gaddaffi because of his abuses. I'm assuming that they will agree that NATO should now attack and bomb the US for similar abuses, correct?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
double post
edit on 1-9-2011 by Grambler because: double post

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shamatt
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread already on ATS.

Correct

Closing

new topics