It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Speaking in TheTongues.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
When I was very young, I used to go to church with my grandmother. During some of the more raucous services they had, there would be 2-3 people who would hold their hands to the sky and begin speaking in what my grandmother called "the Toungues"...She had also explained to me that it was a gift from god and that god can give one of two gifts to special people...the gift to speak the tongues and the gift to understand the toungues. After my grandmother passed away and life caried me down long and dark roads bereft of religion. I finally started going to my sisters church. I had actually forgotten about people speaking in :The Tongues: till my first time to my sisters church...during a sermon, the Pastor, having worked himself and the congregation into a religious fervor, began speaking it. I felt goosebumps raise on me and a in-describable feeling over came me. the memory nearly overwhelmed me and I felt tears rolling down my face, At that point I felt as if I had drank the freshest water ever in the world and that I had not realized how thirsty for it I was.

So..the point of this thread is........Does anyone on ATS ave the ability to either speak or understand the toungues? also does anyone also get such a feeling as I did when I heard it from my new Pastor?
And most importantly do YOU belive in The Tongues?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by dreadphil

Yes, speaking in tongues is real. However, most cases of people speaking in tongues I have witnessed were from my point of view, fake. People always get worked up to a frenzy in these kind of services and try to make it happen themselves. The Spirit doesn't work that way.

Not to take away from your experience or imply that it was not genuine.
edit on 9/1/2011 by wtbengineer because: to clarify

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

I think I saw this in the doco "Jesus Camp". Totally freaky and there are all these little kids doing it, totally freaky....They're evangelical Christians by the way.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Hi dreadphil,

My understanding of speaking in tongues from a biblical standpoint has little to do with what we tend to see in some of these churches today.

If you look at the biblical accounts of speaking in tongues, the general details were that early christian believers who did not know these languages ahead of time began speaking in other languages of men when non-believing jews of other nationality were present, as a witness to these men in their own language. At no point did it devolve into indecypherable gibberish or otherwise occur (according to the accounts) when there were not jews of other nationality around to hear.

As far as some of the epistles mentioning the gift of tongues, or the tongues of angels, etc., otherwise, I would have to research further, honestly, but I believe they are likely taken out of context. I cannot put much stock into what we see with this phenomena in the charismatic churches as it is typically unnecessary since it requires interpretation for people who would otherwise understand the message clearly if spoken in the native tongue already spoken by those present and detracts from the given biblical intent and examples of witnessing to those who have yet to hear the message and don't speak the native language of those with the message.

In short, I think today's version of 'tongues' is something else altogether, and not all that beneficial to the faith.

Be well, friend.

edit on 9/1/2011 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Technically I should be able to speak in tongues, as I have a 'holy spirit' (albeit originating from a somewhat secular muslim source), but I've never felt any reason to do so.

In any case I seriously doubt, if this has anything to do with any alleged 'god'. It's just one of them there interplays between mind and some unknown cosmic energy.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

You are dead on with that response. There is always a reason and a purpose for these kinds of manifestations. Not just jibberish speaking frezied dancing selfishness.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
These people scare the bejesus out of me personally. I think it is a form of hypnosis they put themselves under o others put others under when in congregation but whatever who are we to say what they are experiencing and or not experiencing or that its for better or worse.

Though once again I must blame man and his confused corrupt soul than the religion itself. As goes for the rest of conflict around the world involving religious undertones.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies. When I was young and I heard the people speaking it, I indeed thought it was very strange, but soon got used to it and even expected it. I had not known that the speaking of it was refrenced in the bible and that most likley was used in a diffrent context than it is used in modern day religion. Im not suprised to hear that the charismatic churches use it in a diffrent way than what was initially used in biblical references. I often wonder about the ways and information that certain churches use info from the bible in ways that reflect and/or promote their own orthodoxy. I do wonder something tho...as I sit in church, and the pastor is teaching his lessons...( and ive noticed this with other churches Ive been to as well) I often wonder at HOW they come up with the meaning and insights to the lessons taught in the bible. It seems to me that most ( many at least) of the stories written can be "translated" ( I use that word becuase its the best word I can think of to make my point) in MANY diffrent ways...like the lesson taught could have been described in any number of ways. I know Pastors, Preachers, Reverends etc.. go to a College or Intitute of knowledge to earn their degree in whatever religion they practice. Who decides what lessons are to be taught and HOW each lesson gets its meaning to be offred to the congregation? is there a written down rule of law in each religion? or is it all a matter of personal interpretation?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreadphil
When I was very young, I used to go to church with my grandmother. During some of the more raucous services they had, there would be 2-3 people who would hold their hands to the sky and begin speaking in what my grandmother called "the Toungues"...She had also explained to me that it was a gift from god and that god can give one of two gifts to special people...the gift to speak the tongues and the gift to understand the toungues. After my grandmother passed away and life caried me down long and dark roads bereft of religion. I finally started going to my sisters church. I had actually forgotten about people speaking in :The Tongues: till my first time to my sisters church...during a sermon, the Pastor, having worked himself and the congregation into a religious fervor, began speaking it. I felt goosebumps raise on me and a in-describable feeling over came me. the memory nearly overwhelmed me and I felt tears rolling down my face, At that point I felt as if I had drank the freshest water ever in the world and that I had not realized how thirsty for it I was.

So..the point of this thread is........Does anyone on ATS ave the ability to either speak or understand the toungues? also does anyone also get such a feeling as I did when I heard it from my new Pastor?
And most importantly do YOU belive in The Tongues?

There are more than just those 2 gifts brother. You're forgetting the ultimate gift, the gift of salvation, then theres the gift of forgiveness and the gift of love. I'm talking about REAL love, not just the kind you mumble under your breath without even thinking much less feeling, but the FEELING with all your heart kind of love.

Speaking of tongues is the annointing of the Holy Spirit, and anyone that gets annointed by the Holy Spirit can speak it and interpret. Speaking in togues is the angelic language, which is why it sounds like gibberish to us.

Was the feeling you got when your pastor spoke in tongues a feeling of joy, awe, love, reverence, happyness and peace? If so then you felt the Holy Spirit move, and your spirit was allowed to catch a glimpse of heaven. I felt the Holy Spirit move on july 3rd and the feelings i described to you is exactly what i felt.

I myself have never spoken in tongues, but i have delivered a message on july 3rd. I fought hard to contain that message until my pastor was finished with his sermon, and after i gave the message i felt like I had been in a knockdown drag out fight with someone that was 10 times my height of 6 feet and 10 times my weight and my knees were shaking so bad i couldn't stand, i hit my knees and i literally felt like i was standing in the presence of the Lord and i never wanted to get up. I could have stayed there on my knees at the feet of the Lord for all eternity and i couldn't have been happier.

Some people just never know, and they never will. its a life changing event and it changed me from that day forward i became a totaly different man.
edit on 1-9-2011 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

In these schools they do teach specific interpretations of scripture according to the specific Christian doctrine adhered to by that particular denomination.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Now, brothers and sisters, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction? Even in the case of lifeless things that make sounds, such as the pipe or harp, how will anyone know what tune is being played unless there is a distinction in the notes? Again, if the trumpet does not sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle? So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air. Undoubtedly there are all sorts of languages in the world, yet none of them is without meaning. If then I do not grasp the meaning of what someone is saying, I am a foreigner to the speaker, and the speaker is a foreigner to me. So it is with you. Since you are eager for gifts of the Spirit, try to excel in those that build up the church. -1 Corinthians 14:6-12

But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue. -1 Corinthians 14:19

So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and inquirers or unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind? -1 Corinthians 14:23

If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and to God. -1 Corinthians 14:27-28

Basically the Apostle Paul says it's better to give clear instructions and not some incoherent babbling. When someone speaks in tongues another has to be able to interpret it. The speaking in tongues movement doesn't do any of that. They just randomly say gibberish that has no meaning. Like Paul said it makes them sound crazy when the whole congregation does it. Pentecostals tend to ignore what Paul taught.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by IlluminatusOculus33

Nail right on the head!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

My understanding of speaking in tongues from a biblical standpoint has little to do with what we tend to see in some of these churches today.

If you look at the biblical accounts of speaking in tongues, the general details were that early christian believers who did not know these languages ahead of time began speaking in other languages of men when non-believing jews of other nationality were present, as a witness to these men in their own language. At no point did it devolve into indecypherable gibberish or otherwise occur (according to the accounts) when there were not jews of other nationality around to hear.

Your description of this absolutely reflects my interpretation/perspective of "Speaking In Tongues."

However, my surname family published a booklet about a young woman in the family who spoke in tongues as late as the early 1900s. She apparently spoke in Hebrew, German and Spanish, but only about the gospel, even though she had not learned any of those languages.

The family eventually received independent verification from the government to document this as fact/as witnesses--even though they were not living in a "Christian" country at the time.

Curious family mystery that has been handed down for a few generations now.

edit on 1-9-2011 by BurningSpearess because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by BurningSpearess

Now that IS an intereting story! thank you for sharing it. Are there or were there anyone else in your family that has done this or anything similar? i remember having a grand-aunt that would speak in tongues...but even at an early age I felt that it was more for show than anything. lol

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I get goosebumps when I hear Lisa Gerrard singing in tongues. I think it's called glossolalia. (not sure about the spelling)

Host of Seraphim

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
It so ironic that you posted this because I was at church last night and wow what an amazing service! The spirit of the Lord moved! People were dancing, speaking in tongues, and getting slain in the holy ghost all over. The pastor (who is my uncle) said "if anyone wants the gift of tongues get to this altar right now!!!" I watched as these people started speaking in tongues some genuinely some not so genuinely. I've been going to church for 20 years and through experience I believe to genuinely receive this gift it must come from the Holy Spirit or the Holy Spirit working through someone during church/praise/worship/reading the bible . At the same time, I side with other posters here because I've seen seen first hand the type of people who just want attention but after being involved in the church for so long, you can tell the difference between them. I believe that the gift to speak/decipher tongues is readily available for anyone who serves Jesus Christ....just like all the other gifts lonewolf19792000 mentioned, It can happen anywhere...its a decision that's made between yourself to receive the gift and the Holy Spirit to bless you with it. He wants us to prepare for an eternity with him and what better way to do it then by giving us a little taste through these gifts??
I've spoke in tongues myself at my church. Its a very powerful and emotional experience. I will attempt to explain what its like...when the holy spirit genuinely fills you up this overwhelming all powerful feeling of joy overcomes the body...when truly under the influence of the holy spirit I uncontrollably cry (not sad crying the "in awe" type), laugh or smile. When in this state the gift to speak in tongues can just manifested itself inside me and I began speaking it. I don't even realize it until after service but I begin to decipher it. I would speak a phrase in tongues then decipher it, speak a phrase in tounges then decipher it, repeat, repeat. The Holy Spirit speaks through people, the tongues is one way He does...its like getting a direct word from God. Its like reading the bible and realizing exactly what God wants you to get out of the verses. Nobody can teach you to speak in tongues it just happens when you are in a strong presence of the Holy Spirit. Nothing on this earth can give you a similar feeling....its awesome!!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

When I've spoke in tongues its usually to myself. Iv'e heard people just go off and start babbling and like Paul said, its pointless for the benefit of the listeners. From the speakers perspective, it fills you with joy and strength (at least in my experiences) so its not pointless to them. I've also heard people speak it then decipher an awesome word straight from God. Sometimes it is genuinely uncontrollable when the Holy Spirit's presence is strong then again, some people want attention so you must use wisdom.
edit on 1-9-2011 by Artorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Artorius

When I've spoke in tongues its usually to myself. Iv'e heard people just go off and start babbling and like Paul said, its pointless for the benefit of the listeners. From the speakers perspective, it fills you with joy and strength (at least in my experiences) so its not pointless to them. I've also heard people speak it then decipher an awesome word straight from God. Sometimes it is genuinely uncontrollable when the Holy Spirit's presence is strong then again, some people want attention so you must use wisdom.
edit on 1-9-2011 by Artorius because: (no reason given)

How do you know it's from the Holy Spirit and not demons? Convulsing and rolling around and shaking looks like demon possession to me.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Unfortunately, I haven't witnessed anyone speaking in tongues (within my context of what this means) myself.

As an aside, but related to the young woman in the booklet I was talking about: the country's representatives also witnessed a repeated occurrance where the girl would wake up from sleep with blood on her forehead in the sign of the Cross. At first, the story goes, it was believed that she had scratched herself in the night. So, family began to watch over her as she slept, and would see the Cross appear on its' own. Then the country verified.

Now, that is where I become a bit skeptical of the booklet. Don't get me wrong, many of my immediate and extended family have *acted* as I think God would want his own to act. However, I do think that booklet may have been a form of religious propaganda at that time. The family is mostly good but wise and shrewd. Currently those who remain in that Muslim country are among the most prominent politically and financially despite being Christians.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

I was raised Pentecostal by a preacher who spoke in tongues so I know exactly what you are talking about. However, and not to discourage you, a lot of that is , well , not everyone who's speaking in tongues is doing so as the spirit gives utterance, but rather, as they have copied others doing. And in my personal experience, there are more people pretending they have it than really do.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join