It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CA Dream ACT or AB130 if passed will make it legal for illegal immigrant students to apply for state

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePublicEnemyNo1

To you and the rest of those whom are in support of your ignorance; define what is an American? Last I checked, the majority of the true 'American' descendants are dwindling away in reserves. You're nothing but a third, fourth, fifth generation immigrant. Accept it. Your family too was once displaced and brought to this continent with hopes and dreams of making the best of a newer, free nation that would see no disparity between nations and creeds. Who bore the burden of their arrival when they came? What work did they have to do to earn themselves a place in the role of a society?
It doesn't matter where anyone comes from. If they're willing to take the initiative to educate themselves, then it's almost a guarantee that they'll be the best contributors to society, for they know what a true struggle is about. They'll be the ones going home after school to raise their siblings/children teaching them what true sacrifice and hard work is about. All I've come to see from these American elitists is the teaching that with great sacrifice comes material possession and power. I personally know a few illegal Mexican's whom were good enough to pay a full tuition to MEDICAL AND NURSING school, PASS AT THE TOP OF THEIR CLASS, and couldn't qualify for a license to practice because of their immigration status. What a catch 22, huh?
Perhaps where this country has gone wrong is allowing people to take advantage of student visas. People legally migrate to the U.S. to study, graduate, and take that education they've earned here and bring it back to their country, so that they can contribute to the growth of their society. That to me is the true abuse to the educational system.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Yes it used to be privilege, I was a college student in the late 70s, I had to earn my way to college, in order to be able to qualify, for state and federal grants, education was inexpensive and subsidized by the government, my entire tuition in one semester was under 150 dollars.

But that is because at the time, the banking fat rats were not into making students their debt slavesfor life and the so call private college were not even available at the time, only to the very rich taht could affor it, student loans were unheard off in my time.

So you went to college because of good grades and qualification and your reward was free education pay by the government.

Now education is nothing but a scam base on education for all at the expenses of tax payers and in depting children for life so they can pay the increasing and outrageous fees we find now in our privatized higher education system.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sparkitekt

To you and the rest of those whom are in support of your ignorance; define what is an American? Last I checked, the majority of the true 'American' descendants are dwindling away in reserves. You're nothing but a third, fourth, fifth generation immigrant. Accept it. Your family too was once displaced and brought to this continent with hopes and dreams of making the best of a newer, free nation that would see no disparity between nations and creeds. Who bore the burden of their arrival when they came? What work did they have to do to earn themselves a place in the role of a society?
It doesn't matter where anyone comes from. If they're willing to take the initiative to educate themselves, then it's almost a guarantee that they'll be the best contributors to society, for they know what a true struggle is about. They'll be the ones going home after school to raise their siblings/children teaching them what true sacrifice and hard work is about. All I've come to see from these American elitists is the teaching that with great sacrifice comes material possession and power. I personally know a few illegal Mexican's whom were good enough to pay a full tuition to MEDICAL AND NURSING school, PASS AT THE TOP OF THEIR CLASS, and couldn't qualify for a license to practice because of their immigration status. What a catch 22, huh?
Perhaps where this country has gone wrong is allowing people to take advantage of student visas. People legally migrate to the U.S. to study, graduate, and take that education they've earned here and bring it back to their country, so that they can contribute to the growth of their society. That to me is the true abuse to the educational system.

Most of your post is being ignored and I will not respond to anyone's ignorance about what being a LEGAL TAX PAYING AMERICAN CITIZEN means. You can go research that for yourself as I have included a link if you care to start there. Don't be obtuse and condescending and assume or think you know where my ancestors originated because you do not possess that knowledge. If you choose to discuss such issues then by all means go and start your own thread on such subjects

Also, I will not comment about people like you who obviously have not read my thread and/or comments in its entirety about ALL ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS not just Mexican illegal immigrants

Now, your last comment, I will respond to by simply stating that I agree with you

If you can not see why this issue is so controversial and upsetting to many TAX PAYING LAW ABIDING AMERICANS than okay. But, do not enter this thread with the hopes of disrespecting the views of myself and others who agree simply to be heard.

That is all...carry on

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sparkitekt

As long as we have had laws on immigration,our ancestors came here legally with respect. This is not the great land of dreams and opportunitis it once was. Our Country is trillions of dollars in debt, most of our jobs have been out-sourced, millions of jobs are given to law-breakers while our own citizens suffer.

I have worked with many illegals and every single one of them have sent much of their money back to their home countries. Many have no desire to stay here and once they earn enough, the money they make here is worth so much more in their own country, they return.

I knew a number of women who had their kids here, lied and said they were a single parent household and ended up with welfare, food stamps, cheap housing and medical. Then we have elderly and others who make like 2.00 over the poverty limit and have to choose sometimes between life saving medicines or food because they are denied help. This makes me sick!

And to help illegal children go to college when many of our own kids can't afford to, I'm sorry, but that's just wrong!

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Have you noticed that there are no more full ride academic scholarships offered by the public college institutions? Yet, an entering athlete with a GPA of 2.0 can get a full ride! You're right, it's all about who can make the institutions the most money. I was a college athlete with a partial academic scholarship and full athletic scholarship and maintained my GPA at 3.5 until my senior year. Even the collegiate athletes are beginning to complain to the NCAA about the money the universities are making, yet the athlete is forbidden to make a dime. I guess the colleges figure we're giving you a full ride, now it's time to "fatten" our pockets AGAIN! Colleges are just covers for corporations now imo. Funny thing is, you want to live a decent life and be able to provide for your family without struggle, you pretty much need at least a Bachelor's degree. Yet, you'll be paying for that degree as if you have just bought your first house. Crazy times indeed.

I find it appalling that a formal education is based on money and not academic merit and/or achievements. No wonder American youths are falling so far behind. Even for the adults that would like to go back to school to further their education its becoming increasingly difficult.

I'll BBL...have a great day everyone

edit on 9/4/11 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Don't assume I didn't read your post. If I have something to say, it's because I took the time out to see what your post was about.
The only one obtuse and condescending here is you. I pay taxes. QUARTERLY!! I don't get tax returns. I don't get to look forward to the 15th, so I can bank my check. It hits me just as hard, and if not, even harder than most individuals. This country was founded off the back of illegal immigrants. The doors were only open for a short time, until It was barricaded and blocked off from the rest of the world. This country was based on the premise that it'd be open to all with no fears of persecution.
I can easily and safely assume that you and yours have descended from another country. So don't duck and dodge the matter as if this in some way makes you exhonorable from your own views. Your descendants were looked at the same when they first came here, and met the same opposition that most immigrants face today. They too deserve an opportunity to grow and prosper in this country. Imagine the day when you're left to retire, and your 401k or whatever annuities can't cover groceries, and wind up on Medicaid and social services to cover the difference. Who are gonna be the ones footing the bill then? The greater majority of educated illegal's or migrant's will be the driving force in the future to maintain some kind of economical stability. Because unlike the American culture, which prefer to institutionalize or stash away the elderly, migrant's from other countries value their elders and do their best to provide the best quality of life for them.
For the person who said they work w/many immigrants in respect to whatever. You're right. There are more of those types that like to recycle their earnings elsewhere. But that's dwindling as their children become more accustomed to the American society. Many of those children of the immigrants work harder to better the quality of lice for themselves and their immediate families. Ask a naturalized Mexican 19 year old in college if when he graduates and gets a well-paying job if he's planning on sending some money back home.
And btw, I used Mexican's an example, as they are the largest growing immigrant population. So let's not pretend we're not on the same page.
Now let's throw this in the mix...I'm Puerto Rican. Do I deserve the same treatment as an immigrant, because I'm considered a citizen by technicality?

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Sparkitekt

The problem is that there are too many people and not enough jobs. When you see an illegal holding a position while a citizen cannot provide for their family, that is a huge problem. By sticking up for the illegal, you are not validating the worth of the citizen who is already here and legally. How can we just shove the citizens aside and make a foreigner more important? This is not the USA that it once was. Millions of people are without jobs. Many have been forced to take their retirement money out to survive. How can we justify this by giving jobs away to illegals? How do we justify rewarding the children of law-breakres with college breaks while our own children desperately need help and are without?

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

I remember when high schools were more than just a school, it was a way to train those less fortunates and unable to go into higher education a skill for life, once out of high school the vocation they chose was enough to earn them a job.

For the rest it was either hard work to earn a free scholarship with good grades and move on to higher education with no lasting debt after, as higher education was very affordable.

Now a days is nothing but for profits education is for all but is not free, the littler help you get from your state and federal government doesn't cover all the outrageous expenses that are imposed on tuitions.

On top of that now states like GA are cutting on the 4 years grants, so students are now Dependant to the 2 year colleges or getting into students loans if they want to move on.

Still unemployment is so high that after college you be Lucky to work at the local Wal-mart.

But our corporate pimps have no problem bringing H1B visas recipients from over sea to fill the jobs they swear is not competition in the US.

And most of the training that this foreign workers receive is paid by US tax payers in their country thanks to the generosity of our American government.

US Taxpayer Money Used to Train People in Asia Overseas So They can Take American Jobs

www.dvorak.org...

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

The problem is that the grow and prosperity is been exhausted in the America of today so now immigration falls in the backs of those that are already here for generations are legal citizens by law and pay taxes to the system.

That is the problem we are facing this days, most of the illegal immigration coming from south of the border is nothing but imported poverty and that poverty comes to the US with them to be supported here by tax payers in the nation.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Please Provide a Link for this Statement: I want to read the Proof of this. A Link or it Didn't Happen.

This country was founded off the back of illegal immigrants. The doors were only open for a short time, until It was barricaded and blocked off from the rest of the world.

Because, I could find nothing stating that, Except maybe an excerpt from: Hispanic News and the source: Hispanic News

Unfortunately, history reminds us that Americans are not particularly good at accepting newcomers and their cultures. Even though this country was built on the backs of immigrants – other than the Native Americans, there are no native Americans – our 230-year history is riddled with instances when our welcoming shores weren’t so welcome.
YES, This is B. S. and Please do not show us a link from Michael Moore.

California can not even keep their Hospitals open, maintain their roads and some small cities can not afford to keep their own Police Department Patrolling their streets.
Put California can Magically come up with the Extra Funds for Tuition Assistance.

edit on 4-9-2011 by guohua because: spelling

edit on 4-9-2011 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Your descendants were looked at the same when they first came here, and met the same opposition that most immigrants face today.

Ok, let's start here...you're wrong on so many levels in assuming such a thing as I asked you not to go there. However genius, my ancestors were snatched away from their native land of Africa by FORCE, so no they were not treated the same way as any other immigrant as they were referred to as SLAVES and did not have the rights of a human being. My other ancestors, were already here and they were slaughtered. Besides mind your own business about that, could you?

The greater majority of educated illegal's or migrant's will be the driving force in the future to maintain some kind of economical stability.

I'm having great difficulty understanding how you can possibly believe that an illegal immigrant whether educated or not can possibly become a driving force in economic stability when as I have stated again, they contribute $0.00 to our tax system and if working are doing so illegally. Where are you getting this from or at least explain to me in greater detail how this is a fact and include some proof. How can an illegal immigrant legally get a job and contribute anything? None of that makes sense.

Now let's throw this in the mix...I'm Puerto Rican. Do I deserve the same treatment as an immigrant, because I'm considered a citizen by technicality?

Do you pay taxes? I'm sure you're intelligent enough to answer that question for yourself.

And btw, I used Mexican's an example, as they are the largest growing immigrant population. So let's not pretend we're not on the same page.

No, we're definitely not on the same page and I'm not the one pretending. Like I said, I am concerned with any illegal immigrant in this country...period who's asking for free money for a higher education at the US tax payers expense.

Again, you want to discuss something in particular like history and the way people's ancestors were treated, what this country was "meant" to be, American History etc., etc., go start your own thread. If you want to fund the education of an illegal immigrant go ahead via private party, that's your right and your business. But do NOT come in here crying about how it's fair and think you're going to force your opinion on others who have already voiced they disagree.

Again, stop being obtuse and condescending it would be very much appreciated

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
This only helps out kids who graduated from California High Schools, who were brought here by their parents when they were children. It's not their fault and I don't think they should be punished when they had no say on whether or not to come here illegally.

To most of them, this is the country they call home, some don't even know Spanish.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Many illegals have jobs and get paychecks every week, and they also get federal withholding and medicare taken out of their paycheck

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
This only helps out kids who graduated from California High Schools, who were brought here by their parents when they were children. It's not their fault and I don't think they should be punished when they had no say on whether or not to come here illegally.

To most of them, this is the country they call home, some don't even know Spanish.

I wholeheartedly understand your point. I am just not willing to pay for the intentional breaking of laws that their parents committed. There are millions of US citizens/families that can't afford a higher education, why should any US citizen worry about someone here illegally and by force, pay their expenses? Should we not be worrying about our own people first?

Anyone who wants to donate their money to help assist an illegal immigrant student may do so when and how they choose via private funding. But by force and on the tax payers dime

Thank you for your opinion, it is much appreciated

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7

Many illegals have jobs and get paychecks every week, and they also get federal withholding and medicare taken out of their paycheck

Oh yeah? How are they legally working and paying taxes if they're in this country illegally? Please, provide some proof to your claim. I must be missing something and if I have, i will apologize.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by kerazeesicko

wow

I would say more, people who worries about insignificant people must be at the same level . So they suck the milk of the system but are jealous of some poor ones who are just trying to survive .

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by MightyWizard
reply to post by kerazeesicko

wow

I would say more, people who worries about insignificant people must be at the same level . So they suck the milk of the system but are jealous of some poor ones who are just trying to survive .

If I understand you correctly, I agree.

However, I think every human life is significant. It seems as though the governments of the world do not. For example, if an migrant/immigrant legal or illegal is coming from a country that does not value the lives of their citizens then that citizen may seek a better life outside of their native country. It is unfortunate, that anyone has to consider leaving their homeland due to the lack of proper government and/or education, health care, housing, etc., etc.. This is where all the trouble starts in the first place.

The US, is a melting pot of many cultures and nationalities and I would not change that for all the money in the world. However, if one who has left their native land wants to seek a better life elsewhere, they should do so legally by simply abiding by the laws set forth by that Nation, so that they may enjoy all the freedoms and liberties that the Native citizens enjoy. That applies to the US as well.

I do not want anyone to think I am some heartless, ego manic American ranting about what's mine or that I hate illegals, I don't indulge in the emotion of hate as I find it a waste of my time and energy. But it is true, that I will not by force pay for the expenses of anyone that is here illegally robbing myself and my fellow citizens of the comforts that we/our ancestors have paid for and are entitled too...just sayin', it's a matter of fact for myself and many others.

Thank you for your opinion

BTW, I'm not directing everything I have written towards you

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
lol that is unbelievable, so illegals can come here and get a degree, then go back to their country and do our outsourced jobs?

of course the schools support it, sucking down tax dollars and dumping them right into the administrators pockets, like any good bureaucracy.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
You know after writing my last post/reply, I started thinking. If someone enters the US illegally, what are they hiding and/or possibly running from? Why can't they apply for their green card like thousands of others do every year? Are they intentionally trying to circumvent our laws by entering the US illegally?

I would have to answer yes to my last question which makes me even more upset about illegal immigrants. They do not have good intentions IMO. Because, if they did they would not have a problem going through the proper channels of Naturalization. They didn't accidentally come here nor were they brought here by force. So ....nope no money for you!

I do understand that in some countries it is just plainly put unbearable and many people can not feed oneself let alone their family as is the current case with places like Ethiopia, Sudan, parts of India, etc., etc. I would consider these people refugees.

Still, I'm not paying for their education, but I do not wish to see any other human being suffer and go hungry or have to suffer disease with no healthcare. This world is in serious trouble and I realize people just want a better way of life. But, it is not up to the citizens of the US to freakin' bail everyone out we have families too. Get a grip and go complain to your own governments. Hell, start a protest or something already! It seems to be working in the Middle East.

Just a thought and a rant...sorry.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by snarfbot
lol that is unbelievable, so illegals can come here and get a degree, then go back to their country and do our outsourced jobs?

of course the schools support it, sucking down tax dollars and dumping them right into the administrators pockets, like any good bureaucracy.

Ding ding ding ding ding...people we have a winner! Sir, you just hit the nail on the head

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join