It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CA Dream ACT or AB130 if passed will make it legal for illegal immigrant students to apply for state

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
During a visit to Los Angeles today, Governor Brown signed into law Part A of the California Dream Act (AB130). This section grants students who meet the in-state tuition requirements permission to apply for and receive specified financial aid programs administered by California's public colleges and universities.

Article

This is insane!
So, illegal immigrants get to use up our funds so they can get an education? No, I will not be quiet about this. For some reason or another, my state government seems to think that since it’s no fault of their own (illegal immigrant students) that they have the same rights as those US citizens or legal immigrants and now they want to stretch our budget even more by allowing access to apply for state college aid.

You know what…instead of sitting around crying for years about what isn’t fair about your treatment as an illegal immigrant, why don’t you illegal immigrants work on becoming citizens and behaving as US citizens do, then you can demand equal rights! I do not work my @$$ off to help pay for your education. Besides, after graduation, you’re still considered an illegal immigrant and unless you can show documentation that you are a legal citizen, you still won’t be able to get a job. You have no right to demand such a thing….nada!!!!!!!

This is so unfair! My oldest daughter works 2 part time jobs to assist in getting herself through school and now in her senior year as a bio-chemistry major the heat is on and she needs to dedicate more time to class, but unable too because she needs more money to get through school because the good ole state of California continues to raise tuition on an average of 10-15% a semester, now these clowns want free money. On top of that my other daughter is attending Temple University in Philadelphia in her freshman year, because the cost is about the same as in California, yet the quality of education is much better. Many kids who are citizens can't get the money they need because our budget is screwed...now this

Anyone who knows about this bill should be very upset IMHO as this is just not right….NOT RIGHT! You all can bash me…whatever I don’t care. Get legal then come back and ask for my money for school and stop crying about being treated unfair all the time!!!!!!!

BTW, the link to the article I believe is from July and was phase 1 of the bill. Gov. Jerry Brown, is in the process of getting part 2 passed which is the part that gives state funded aid to illegal immigrants. Part 1 okay’d private funding for college to illegal immigrants

Wikipedia

Another Article

I want to hear what everyone thinks about this. Maryland is the other state who has already passed a similar bill.

edit on 9/1/11 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: spelling

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Dream Act is not new news. You should be happy your kids are attending school. And instead of crying about this. You get another job, take some weight of your daughters back. Besides, this was the last alternative they had to get that cash in their pockets (the schools).

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by teck9ne
Dream Act is not new news. You should be happy your kids are attending school. And instead of crying about this. You get another job, take some weight of your daughters back. Besides, this was the last alternative they had to get that cash in their pockets (the schools).

Excuse me! I should be happy my kids are attending school...who the heck are you? Goes to show your level of understanding. My kids aren't lucky, they are hard workers. Luck didn't get them into college...a family who has worked hard and stayed focused on their goals did. You seem to have stepped out of line...let me assist you in getting back in order.

You're probably one of those "crybaby illegals" I'm referring too
, I figured I would draw some of you in here. I don't need you to tell me how to finance my 21 year old daughters education nor did I ask. My children are getting an education because they super excelled in school their entire lives and had two parents that work their tails off to make sure they get that education. Here's the good part, we're paying 60% of two college kids, my daughter works to take some burden off her parents. The other 40% is covered by those private organizations who give intelligent legal(for the time being)students academic scholarship money. Man are you on one!

That however genius, isn't what my thread is about. This thread in case you somehow misunderstood, is about illegal immigrants/aliens/losers whatever the word of the day may be, asking for educational assistance they do not deserve from the state of California. Hopefully, you understand that.

You have nothing to contribute, go somewhere else. Nothing you have commented on has anything to do with this thread and you make no sense. It's ignorant people like you that make the rest of us sick to our stomachs. All you had to say, was I disagree with your view.

Don't be obtuse and condescending

edit on 9/2/11 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePublicEnemyNo1

ThePublicEnemyNo1, All my respect to you and your family, for doing the right thing. Paying for an Education today is a Nightmare. It seems every year the cost rises.

But how can California afford to foot this kinda cost for Undocumented Students That Will Still Need To Be Documented, To Get A Job and Pay Taxes Back to The State Of California.

A Senate committee analysis estimated the bill's cost at about $40 million. That includes $13 million for Cal Grants, which average about $4,500; up to $15 million in community college waivers; and $12 million in institutional aid from the University of California and California State University systems.

Source: www.latimes.com...

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I couldn't agree with you more OP! With limited seatings in college, we don't need an illegal taking those seats. It only encourages more illegal immigration and rewards their law breaking parents.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by guohua

ThePublicEnemyNo1, All my respect to you and your family, for doing the right thing. Paying for an Education today is a Nightmare. It seems every year the cost rises.

But how can California afford to foot this kinda cost for Undocumented Students That Will Still Need To Be Documented, To Get A Job and Pay Taxes Back to The State Of California.

A Senate committee analysis estimated the bill's cost at about $40 million. That includes $13 million for Cal Grants, which average about $4,500; up to $15 million in community college waivers; and $12 million in institutional aid from the University of California and California State University systems.

Source: www.latimes.com...

Thank you for your kind words and I'm sure you know it isn't easy, but that's the million dollar question my friend
I am guessing it will once again, come out of the tax payers pocket. I want all children educated, it's vitally important to the entire world. However, I am not willing to pay for people who have not paid their "dues" like the rest of us have now or in the past...not on my dime! There's a way to do things fair and proper and this bill isn't it. This simply put is a bully move.

I will submit your question to the governor's office and see what reply I get. Thank you for your contribution to this thread.

Stay Posted

edit on 9/2/11 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Exactly, it seems to be an issue that every state will have to face sooner or later especially if the federal government steps in and sides with the "crybabies". I have no problem with Part I of the bill as it allows private organizations to donate their funds as they see fit. I however, am a tax paying citizen forced to pay for another child's education because their loser parents chose to gain entry into the US illegally then complain about it.

It truly is a sad situation that we have found ourselves in

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
It is indeed. These kids demand that they have some kind of amnesty and say it's not their fault that they are here illegally. It isn't my fault or yours either. It is their parents! The last thing we need will be for these kids to graduate and get jobs. With millions of unemployed citizens and millions of illegals already holding positions,this is neither fair nor right!

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Could you imagine going to another country and announcing you're there illegally and then demanding equal citizenship status.Our state and federal government are spineless @$$holes!

ETA: Hell, the state of California won't uphold many of their own laws and the federal government are breaking laws left and right

edit on 9/2/11 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: add comment

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I for one am tired of illegals getting catered to while citizens are falling through the cracks! We have so many illegals that refuse to speak english and now we have numerous companies requiring us to speak spanish! No American citizen should be forced to speak a foreign language in their own country in order to get a job to provide for their families. I asked one company why it was required and was told, "Because most of our employees speak spanish." It was a simple factory job, not like you'd be translating in a hospitalor something! Lovely!

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I was just reading where the illegals will get tuition, books and also living expenses for the lower income ones. To hell with the legal citizens though!

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
I was just reading where the illegals will get tuition, books and also living expenses for the lower income ones. To hell with the legal citizens though!

Hello My friend Night Star, I agree with you completely, When I was continuing my English classes at Phx. College, The cost of books on top of the tuition was very expensive, I was offered State Aide, until they found out I had a 10 year Green Card, Then I was on my own with all the cost, My husband told me not to worry about it.
We didn't need the state to help us.

Listen to what this so called educated person from California has to say:

"We have one of the most diverse populations in the country. It is the right thing to do," says Barbara O'Connor, director emeritus of the Institute for Study of Politics and Media at California State University, Sacramento. "California often exports progressive ideas, and coupled with the Obama administration's deportation changes in recent weeks, this is a significant law."

Another obama supporter,,, She is willing to watch California sink into Bankruptcy, to please,,, WHO?
Now someone with a little common-scene.

"The actions of the California Legislature come against the backdrop of the state's fiscal crisis," says Ira Mehlman, spokesman for the Federation for American Immigration Reform. "While billions of dollars are being slashed from needed programs, while state universities and colleges are cutting programs and admission, and while there is an insufficient amount of government aid available to help legal residents pay for college, the Legislature continues to work overtime to find new benefits they can bestow on illegal aliens."

source: abcnews.go.com...

Personnally, I'm proud of my husband for making sure, we paid our own way through College.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star

Oh yes, it will be part of the whole package, I just hope the Fed doesn't jump on board with this insanity! I mean on top of the UC and Cal State systems raising tuition, now families like mine who are struggling to put two kids in two separate states through college will have to pay for another kids education who's not entitled to any kind of tax payer funded aid.

You know ....I have no problem paying my fair share to help all of our kids get the aid they need for a higher education...those that come from families that have paid into our system that is. But all this "wha-wha, we want it too #" has got to stop!

Hey listen up kids of parents who illegally brought you here...."Your parents screwed up, get over it and if you want to go to school then ask your parents where all the money is they should have been able to save up for your education, especially since they haven't paid a dime in taxes"!

ETA:
Anyone who cares too can quote me on that!
edit on 9/3/11 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

I'm very happy for you that you were able to put yourself through college. It is very difficult indeed. I had to do the same thing. I did however enter college on a full athletic scholarship and partial academic, so the first three years was not too bad, not to mention college was more affordable then than it is now. Then I became pregnant my senior year and I lost my full ride athletic scholarship. That was one of the roughest times of my life. I was lucky enough as were you to have a husband who busted is @$$ to make sure I finished my education.

So it is possible to do. Although college now a days seems to be nothing more than which schools can charge the most while providing a remedial education at best. I know through experience that these youngsters out here attending school legally will make it if they work hard. But if this bill passes, it's going to be very very bad for society as a whole.

When and where will it stop? I'm already checking into how I can avoid paying my state taxes if this bill passes...I mean it...I'm not paying for this $h!t. I realize just my two cents in taxes leaving the state system will hurt a deserving kids chance on getting aid, but I've had enough already!

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I agree with the OP, Dream Act is cover up wording in my opinion... Dreams can be good and bad... A good dream for the illegals/terrorists/leeches...and a horrible nightmare for the hard working True American Families.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Oh boo hoo...get over it...learn to deal because nothing will ever happen when it comes to illegals. Sure you'll have a few grand standing individuals declare they will be doing something about and will...then they will fade away along with their 15 mins.

You great grandfathers came here and took land illegally and now that it's happening right back you don"t like it.....
. Back then the PC words were founding a nation (not slaughtering and stealing from the locals), you call them being here illegally....I call it ....coming home...to a land that is still a part of Mexico to them.

The US of A took something that was never theirs and hate it when the locals still think of their land as a piece of them.

So cry me a river and then build a bridge and get over it.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by kerazeesicko
Oh boo hoo...get over it...learn to deal because nothing will ever happen when it comes to illegals. Sure you'll have a few grand standing individuals declare they will be doing something about and will...then they will fade away along with their 15 mins.

You great grandfathers came here and took land illegally and now that it's happening right back you don"t like it.....
. Back then the PC words were founding a nation (not slaughtering and stealing from the locals), you call them being here illegally....I call it ....coming home...to a land that is still a part of Mexico to them.

The US of A took something that was never theirs and hate it when the locals still think of their land as a piece of them.

Oh boo-hoo, you get over it. Mexico, lost the war remember? My great grandfathers didn't come here and take anything. If you're Mexican your grandfathers would be from Mexico, not the USA. See the USA is a different country altogether in case you missed that in history class.

So all that non sense you just said means absolutely nothing to me. Besides, I'm not here to give you a crash course on American History. Also, why are you trying to make Mexico and land theft a topic in my thread. My thread is about illegal immigrants...not just illegal mexican immigrants
Don't be so defensive

USA hasn't taken anything btw...Mexico lost it genius! Anyway, you have taken up too much of my time already trying to derail my thread. So unless you have something to contribute to the TOPIC, that is all...carry on or get out!

BTW, smart one, Part II of the bill isn't the law yet
Did I forget to mention Mexico lost the war

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by kerazeesicko

The last I heard or should I say read was:

1848: The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo following the Mexican War between the U.S. and Mexico resulted in the purchase of Arizona, California, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Utah, and western Colorado.

Mexico Lost The War,, Who is the sore loser? I'm Chinese and I know that.
What you didn't lose the U,S, of A, bought from Mexico.

1853: With the Gadsden Purchase of 1853, the land acquisition that resulted in the area of the 48 contiguous states today was completed. Southern Arizona and southern New Mexico were purchased for $10 million and named for the U.S. minister to Mexico, James Gadsden.

Source:geography.about.com...
None of my Family has ever been to America, I am the first. Now My Husbands Family,,,, Been here for A Very Long Time,,,,Longer Than any Spaniard. He Calls Himself An American.
Try getting a real Education other than that La Rasa B. S..
edit on 3-9-2011 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

What a joke America has become, while states keep cutting benefits for grants and making difficult for American born students to earn a decent degree without owning their own life to some bank on loans, here you have another tax free give away to illegals.

No wonder America is falling in the economic crap is falling, whatever is left of the working class is been forced to pay for everybody else as the wealthy class enjoys Bushes tax brakes for the rich.

Next is free health care for illegals under Obamacare.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

What a joke America has become, while states keep cutting benefits for grants and making difficult for American born students to earn a decent degree without owning their own life to some bank on loans, here you have another tax free give away to illegals.

No wonder America is falling in the economic crap is falling, whatever is left of the working class is been forced to pay for everybody else as the wealthy class enjoys Bushes tax brakes for the rich.

Next is free health care for illegals under Obamacare.

Thank you. I guess according to the poster a couple of steps above, we should just bend over and take it. Some people just don't get it....never have and never will. It seems like some look at it as revenge so to speak. Vengeful Crybabies as they may be, I hope this doesn't spread to other states. If California, has to be the example of why not to legalize this, then so be it
I for one hope we won't have to be the example.

Very sad indeed

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join