It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake caused massive nuclear storage casks to move in Virgina

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Earthquake caused massive nuclear storage casks to move

ast week's central Virginia earthquake caused 25 spent-fuel storage casks — each weighing 115 tons — to move on their concrete pad at Dominion Virginia Power's North Anna nuclear power plant.

The shifting of these massive casks holding used nuclear fuel was the first caused by an earthquake in the U.S., according to the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

None of the metal cylinders was damaged and no radiation was released, Dominion Virginia Power said.

Like hockey pucks on a jostled tray, the 16-foot tall casks shifted from an inch to 4½ inches, utility company spokesman Rick Zuercher said.

"They just moved because of the vibration," Zuercher said. "They remained upright and fully intact."

Federal regulators will examine data from the spent-fuel storage area as part of the inspection of the plant that the NRC began Tuesday, said Scott Burnell, a spokesman with the federal agency's headquarters in Rockville, Md.

"The information available indicates the shifting did not affect safety in any way," Burnell said. "It is an instance of an event we had not previously seen, so were trying to learn as much as possible."

Amazing this could happen.

It's not very comforting that they immediately claim all is ok, but have never seen this before and are still studying the matter.

See also: VA Nuclear Plant Loses Power After Quake...NRC WARNED some systems "not seismically designed."

edit on 1-9-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Another story where the "officials" state there was no damage that would put humans and animals in harms way. Right! Meanwhile, pay no attention to the 2 headed cows, the 5 eyed flies and the unexplained sores on your body. It's merely a coincidence! When does the revolution start, and where do I sign up?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Im with you JB!
Actually i think i may have been signed up already at some point........this is getting so far out in left field i can hardly believe it.
The fuzzy thinking that these official clowns display scares the hell outta me .
If the rest of the gov boys are as incompatant and corrupt as these nuclear types,(no reason to doubt so far)
id say we are overdue for signifigant upgrade in qualified people upstairs.
Ones who wont sell us out at the first offer of graft.Or lookthe other way whilst safety is compromised.
Ones who wont approve a nuclear waste site on top of an aquifer that sits below 8 states, and a proven quake record.....then go back into their old job of running a nuclear waste disposal site.....
There are NO honest men anymore.Seems management level training must include a course on how to get rich on bribes without going to prison or something similar.
As the level of the defendants social status rises, the length of any criminal sentencing diminishes proportionately to the size of the bribe and the price of the lawyer...................bbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Yeah i agree, It's a little unnerving hearing those words "something we've never seen or experienced before."

TRANSLATION=

"WOW! That was a close call, This is uncharted territory, We never researched that or had it in any type of planning."

much like Fukushima was.

Move along Folks, Nothing to see here.

YEAH right!!

new topics

top topics

join