It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miami Police shoot, kill man carrying toy gun

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by deadeyedick

Sometimes you have to slow down and gain your composure.

That's what gets officers killed. Exactly that. The suspect knows when he will do something to you. You have no idea and that split second you wait, you are dead. Gone...

If I were a suspect with a gun, I would love to have you as the cop on duty... That extra "drop the..." BANG! You're dead and you wouldn't even know what hit you.

me to go home and him go to jail.That should be the goal.

That is the goal I have to agree on that. But unfortunately, sometimes people make wrong decisions when it comes to dealing with the police and are killed. the rules are simple :

Just do what the police tell you to when they are pointing their guns at you and you will survive.

How difficult is that?
edit on 11/9/2 by Magnum007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
www.liveleak.com...
just look at this cop keep his cool.He had every right to panic but he didn't.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magnum007

Sometimes you have to slow down and gain your composure.

That's what gets officers killed. Exactly that.

me to go home and him go to jail.That should be the goal.

I think that when you take into account it being a plastic gun there was never a threat.
We have to find the line between police shooting every suspect and not shooting everyone.The case of the challenged with a toy is not the line.
At the very least this cop should not be in the field hunting bad guys.

That is the goal I have to agree on that. But unfortunately, sometimes people make wrong decisions when it comes to dealing with the police and are killed. the rules are simple :

Just do what the police tell you to when they are pointing their guns at you and you will survive.

How difficult is that?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Tell that to deputy Kyle Dinkheller... Look up the video of the traffic stop he was killed in... I posted it at first, but Terrion is right, it's too graphic and disturbing to keep on here...

Nonetheless, I would have shot the guy the second I saw him loading his weapon... Kyle was trying to hold off to see what he was doing but you can clearly see the intention in the suspect's eyes...

Loading his gun, saying he's a vietnam war vet trained to kill, etc... those are indications of intent...

This is a direct result of the "hold off and wait" mentality that many people unfortunately believe in...

edit on 11/9/2 by Magnum007 because: To remove the video...

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Some of these toy guns look very authentic from relatively close up, let alone at a distance that an officer would be. Honestly, it's too easy for people to judge when they have no experience of these situations.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Magnum007

I agree with you 100%. but please remove this video from your post it is disturbing and inappropriate.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Well it sounds like you use a lot of restraint in your practice as a police officer, and I commend you for that. But on the other hand, I know a couple of officers killed in the line of duty this year alone, so be careful that your own safety is always ensured.

I can agree that no shots were fired, and they must have been close enough to fire a well-placed round with a pistol, so they probably had a good view, but in the OP scenario, there were already calls from residents, he had already pointed the gun at a dog, he was mentally handicapped, so he may have been acting irrationally, and that could have been perceived as drugs, or impairment. He not only refused the order to drop the weapon, but he actually responded by pointing it at the officers.

It is a tragic story, but I just can't find a lot of fault in what the officers did. You know as well as anybody that they are living with a lot of regret right now, and they don't need us second-guessing it in hindsight and calling it "murder" which implies the officer did this on purpose, or with some pre-conceived notion to kill.

I dont think your wrong with your point of view or many of the other posters here only that some are comprised of more truth.
This isnt the first incident this year with the same scenario.I think it has alot to do with the police state fear cage that is being portrayed.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Tell that to deputy Kyle Dinkheller... Look up the video of the traffic stop he was killed in... I posted it at first, but Terrion is right, it's too graphic and disturbing to keep on here...

Nonetheless, I would have shot the guy the second I saw him loading his weapon... Kyle was trying to hold off to see what he was doing but you can clearly see the intention in the suspect's eyes...

Loading his gun, saying he's a vietnam war vet trained to kill, etc... those are indications of intent...

This is a direct result of the "hold off and wait" mentality that many people unfortunately believe in...

Thank you. you handled that very maturely something that's hard to come by these days.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SecretFace

Some of these toy guns look very authentic from relatively close up, let alone at a distance that an officer would be. Honestly, it's too easy for people to judge when they have no experience of these situations.

Been there before this officer was fooled by plastic and a mentally challenged person.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by areyouserious2010

You said it perfect

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terrion

Thank you. you handled that very maturely something that's hard to come by these days.

Bing differance in a traffic stop and someone in a neighborhood threatening dogs with a piece of plastic.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
If you put yourself in the shoes of the officers and begin to realize that even if they knew he was mentally handicapped, he could have shot and killed one of the officers just as well.

The fact that the gun looked like it was real put the man out luck.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Elsek

Yea its well known what crack shots the mentally challenged are.
I think we should shoot everything and everyone that could pose a threat to anyone or anything.
edit on 2-9-2011 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

A lot of guns are made of plastic.
Especially the ones police officer's tend to use.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Doesn't that make the situation even more volatile?

So he was impaired, the cop doesn't know if it is schizo, drugs, or just general defect, and the cop not only fears for his life, but also the life of any bystanders.

A crack shot is less of a threat than a volatile, impaired, random shooter, in my opinion.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Doesn't that make the situation even more volatile?

So he was impaired, the cop doesn't know if it is schizo, drugs, or just general defect, and the cop not only fears for his life, but also the life of any bystanders.

A crack shot is less of a threat than a volatile, impaired, random shooter, in my opinion.

Again your logic makes sense.But why not wing him or just run his ass over.
What would make the situation volatile is a real crime like shots fired.
However im not saying cops should only shoot if shot at rather be resourceful.
As i have stated before if i had a choice if i had to be in a fight or gun fight i would rather take on the druggie or the challenged rather that someone on an ego trip.By ego trip i mean someone that has it in their mind that their own life is worth more than any other person or suspect on scene.
Also if you havent noticed the suspect would likely shoot me for talking to much. lol

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Again your logic makes sense.But why not wing him or just run his ass over.

I thought you were also a cop?

You know that cops NEVER shoot to "wing" somebody, and actually nobody trained in gun use would ever shoot in that manner. There is too much chance of missing, or hitting an unintended target, or actually being succesful in creating a devastating injury and being opened up to lawsuits. You always shoot for "center of mass" and you always have the conflicted hope, in the back of your mind, that they don't survive, because it is far too many headaches.

As for running them over. That would be clear excessive force, and have far worse outcomes than a shooting. You have the cover of a vehicle, yet you choose to use a 2 ton deadly weapon to maim them, when you were in no danger whatsoever?

Surely this type of thing does not actually cross your mind while on duty?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
If the gun was realistic and he pointed it at officers then it was a good shoot.

Here's something for all you cop haters to think about. I have a friend who is a cop in a small Florida town. Just a few months ago they lost an officer on a routine traffic stop. The cop walked up to the driver's door and the driver shot him. No warning, no verbal exchange, he simply shot him as soon as he had a shot. Cops deal with that every day. You should also realize a cop's vest only protects his torso and will not stop most rifle calibers. The real surprise is more civiian's don't get shot acting stupid when the cops are trying to detain them.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Flyer

I know.
But still misleading.

It should be noted that's it's NMPD not MPD

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join