It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miami Police shoot, kill man carrying toy gun

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Flyer

People need to stop being such babies to these kinda things...if a guy had anything that looked like a gun and he broke into your house would you ask if hes mentally retarded also or would you shoot first to save your own ass and your families if you have one...i dont see a problem with this maybe whoever takes care of this "special person" should make sure he doesnt have something like this
edit on 2-9-2011 by parkwoods21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by parkwoods21
reply to post by Flyer

People need to stop being such babies to these kinda things...if a guy had anything that looked like a gun and he broke into your house would you ask if hes mentally retarded also or would you shoot first to save your own ass and your families if you have one...i dont see a problem with this maybe whoever takes care of this "special person" should make sure he doesnt have something like this

I agree 100% if anyone should be attacking anyone it should be the person suppose to be supervising this mentally challenged person.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
How could lots of people have been hurt?

The maximum is one because he would have been taken down after the 1st shot.
Id have no problem with a person being shot and killed then.

Well that's OK if you're not the "first" innocent bystander who was shot....and maybe dead.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by tbonethedstroyer

Open carry is illegal in FL. Look it up.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
As already stated, too often people bring these events up like the Police are in the wrong. If he had what looks to be a gun, the police don't have time to find out if it is a toy or not, that's the difference between him getting shot and a load of people getting shot! I think the problem here is that unless people have worked in the Police or are not totally anti-Police for no reason other than for what they've read, then it's hard to understand the situation. Bottom line is, the Police did what they are trained to do. If he refused to drop his weapon then that's what happens, real or not. If he did not understand due to his limited mental capability, then why was he left to roam around the place by himself? The Police can't mess about while trying to find out if the guy is retarded, deaf or just messing about waiting to blast them to kingdom come!

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

As much as I agree with what you are saying, wouldn't it just be easier to carry the riffle in a case? More conspicuous and less attention grabbing...

It would attract alot less hassles for a legally armed guy when people in the street call the police because they don't know what's happening....

What's your opinion on that?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2012king
If the toy rifle was bright red then maybe it could have been seen to be a toy, but the amount of toy rifles/handguns that look real is way more than the ones that look fake, especially from a distance.
Its unfortunate, but if it had have been real and they hadnt fired on him, lots of innocent people could have been hurt.

bullterds

lets just shoot anyone that has a gun in public kids adults toy or no toy that would be the wsafe thing to do.while were at it lets shoot mean looking people cause they scare us.
edit on 2-9-2011 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Magnum007

I am definitely an advocate for carrying the weapon in its case, well secured. I think it is nuts to just toss a rifle into a backseat and go driving around, and even more nuts to carry it on the street in that manner.

But, the question still remains, are gun rights reserved for those people that can afford carry cases, and private vehicles, and expensive gun club memberships?

Also, in the bus scenario, I'm not sure bringing an assault rifle onto a city bus would fly, even if it were in a case! Not in this day and age of fear-mongering. Imagine a life-long US citizen that happened to have olive skin and a beard carrying an assault rifle case onto a city bus.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by deadeyedick

Do you HONESTLY know how ridiculous you sound???
If it was a real gun, and he shot someone, you'd be crying the cops didnt do enough
edit on 9/2/2011 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by deadeyedick

If the toy rifle was bright red then maybe it could have been seen to be a toy, but the amount of toy rifles/handguns that look real is way more than the ones that look fake, especially from a distance.
Its unfortunate, but if it had have been real and they hadnt fired on him, lots of innocent people could have been hurt.

bullterds

lets just shoot anyone that has a gun in public kids adults toy or no toy that would be the wsafe thing to do.while were at it lets shoot mean looking people cause they scare us.

How about we send you to the front line and let you take the time to ascertain that the gun in real... After you have your brains blown up, we'll have a better idea and know what response we should have...

"Oh dang, deadeyedick got it right in the head... I guess it's real! FIRE!!!"

We could use Flyer and a bunch of other numbnuts on this thread and it would keep us safer and the public too...

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by SecretFace
As already stated, too often people bring these events up like the Police are in the wrong. If he had what looks to be a gun, the police don't have time to find out if it is a toy or not, that's the difference between him getting shot and a load of people getting shot! I think the problem here is that unless people have worked in the Police or are not totally anti-Police for no reason other than for what they've read, then it's hard to understand the situation. Bottom line is, the Police did what they are trained to do. If he refused to drop his weapon then that's what happens, real or not. If he did not understand due to his limited mental capability, then why was he left to roam around the place by himself? The Police can't mess about while trying to find out if the guy is retarded, deaf or just messing about waiting to blast them to kingdom come!
If a policeman cant distinguish between a toy or a real gun between a threat or a or non threat then that is the problem.This precrime mentality is gonna come back to haunt america.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Flyer

This is a quote from your source you provided:

"A man whose family said he was autistic was killed by police in North Miami Beach after pointing a real-looking toy gun at an officer, police said Thursday.

Police officers responded to 911 calls about a man seen walking around the neighborhood Wednesday afternoon with a rifle, North Miami Beach Police Director Thomas Carney said..."

I'm trying to think about this from the officers point of view.. and looking at someone doesn't instantly give you their medical history. Plus, toy guns today don't really look like toys.. some of them have the orange piece at the end of the barrel but others don't and it can be easily removed, anyway.

I have to side with the Miami, FL PD.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC

Do you HONESTLY know how ridiculous you sound???
If it was a real gun, and he shot someone, you'd be crying the cops didnt do enough
edit on 9/2/2011 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

no i wouldn't

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Magnum007

Originally posted by deadeyedick

bullterds

How about we send you to the front line and let you take the time to ascertain that the gun in real... After you have your brains blown up, we'll have a better idea and know what response we should have...

"Oh dang, deadeyedick got it right in the head... I guess it's real! FIRE!!!"

We could use Flyer and a bunch of other numbnuts on this thread and it would keep us safer and the public too...

I am faced with these situations alot.If every cop shoots first and ask questions later that is murder.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Magnum007

I am definitely an advocate for carrying the weapon in its case, well secured. I think it is nuts to just toss a rifle into a backseat and go driving around, and even more nuts to carry it on the street in that manner.

But, the question still remains, are gun rights reserved for those people that can afford carry cases, and private vehicles, and expensive gun club memberships?

Also, in the bus scenario, I'm not sure bringing an assault rifle onto a city bus would fly, even if it were in a case! Not in this day and age of fear-mongering. Imagine a life-long US citizen that happened to have olive skin and a beard carrying an assault rifle case onto a city bus.

Affording carry cases should be easy if u can afford a hunting trip expensive ammo and a rifle. and I find it hard to believe you could take a bus to a hunting ground. Its not fear mongering its a gun. guns kill they have no other purpose.
edit on 2-9-2011 by Terrion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Terrion

Originally posted by parkwoods21
reply to post by Flyer

I agree 100% if anyone should be attacking anyone it should be the person suppose to be supervising this mentally challenged person.

However, in most cases, this is their own family, in their own home, 24/7/12 and still being on duty when asleep, in Britain the level of support is far from what is needed, I dont know what it is like elsewhere, but I assume that it will be similar. In most cases they are on medication and have a very reduced mental age, hell, I even have a 40 year old that says that he wants to join the police when he grows up. When you are never off of duty, get woken up 3 or 4 times in the night, work all day and night, have meetings and paperwork to fill in and records to keep up to date, attend reviews and financial and medical assesments to attend.

The only time you see the outside world is when you are shopping for groceries, are not allowed to have friends visit, unless they have an up to date police check, well then you are blamed when one of your clients walks out into the road with a toy gun, with a child, you would be able to secure the doors, with adults, you are breaking the law if you do. Just spare a thought to the humble carers working 24/7/12 when you next blame them for something like this. As for allowing him to have this sort of toy, well the authorities would be down on you like a ton of bricks if you tried to STOP him having something. It is called empowering and can be a straight jacket for carers, even when common sense tells them that sometimes ideas are just BAD !

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Thats kinda like obama saying that he saved a certain number of jobs.There is no way to track that.I could say that i saved a family of 5 today cause i decided not to go drink and drive.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

True, but I believe that if someone has enough money to buy something like a firearm, they should also have the money to secure it for transport... IE a case...

It's like a guitar... I am a musician, and I don't know anyone who buys a guitar without at least getting a soft case for it... It's also a question of protecting your investment...

I have cases for both my guns (one was issued to me by the police force) and I also have locks for every one of them (Canadian law makes me do so)... I would probably do the same though if the laws didn't obligate me, to prevent my son from having any accidents and to prevent people from being scared of me walking down the street with one...

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

If a policeman cant distinguish between a toy or a real gun between a threat or a or non threat then that is the problem.This precrime mentality is gonna come back to haunt america.

Really?

I punish my two children even if they point a toy gun at one another. It is never appropriate to point a gun, real or toy, loaded or unloaded.

And, you expect a policeman, responding to a call for a dangerous man pointing a gun at things in a neighborhood, with a heightened sense of awareness for violence, with constant exposure to how often things turn out badly....... you expect that policeman to be able to ascertain from a distance, whether or not a gun is real, as it is being pointed at him, knowing that he may only have a 1/10th of a second between going home to see his own family or not?

Come on, police do make mistakes, but let's be realistic in our expectations for them. This was a toy gun, not an umbrella. Even if it had been an umbrella, ignoring the police, and acting aggressively by pointing it at them is enough to warrant the shooting.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

You are faced with gunnmen alot? either
1. you are on mission overseas,
2. you are a criminal,
or
3. you are shooting out plain BS

I'm going with #3, but something tells me that #2 is probably closer to reality...

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join