It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CLAIM: California Cesium-137 Contamination Possibly WORSE than Western Japan!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   

(Larger Image Link.)

Map of Cesium-137 Deposition Across the Pacific by CEREA Shows the US More Contaminated Than Western Japan

France's CEREA has the simulation map of ground deposition of cesium-137 from the Fukushima I Nuclear Power Plant accident on its "Fukushima" page. It not only shows Japan but also the entire northern Pacific Rim, from Russian Siberia to Alaska to the West Coast of the US to the entire US.

According to the map, the US, particularly the West Coast and particularly California, may be more contaminated with radioactive cesium than the western half of Japan or Hokkaido. It looks more contaminated than South Korea or China. Canada doesn't look too well either, particularly along the border with US on the western half.

From CEREA's Fukushima page:

Atmospheric dispersion of radionuclides from the Fukushima-Daichii nuclear power plant

CEREA, joint laboratory École des Ponts ParisTech and EdF R&D
Victor Winiarek, Marc Bocquet, Yelva Roustan, Camille Birman, Pierre Tran

Map of ground deposition of caesium-137 for the Fukushima-Daichii accident.

The simulation was performed with a specific version of the numerical atmospheric chemistry and transport model Polyphemus/Polair3D. The parametrisations used for the transport and physical removal of the radionuclides are described in [1,2,3,4].

The magnitude of the deposition field is uncertain and the simulated values of deposited radionuclides could be significantly different from the actual deposition. In particular, the source term remains uncertain. Therefore, these results should be seen as preliminary and they are likely to be revised as new information become available to better constrain the source term and when radionuclides data can be used to evaluate the model simulation results.

If this is true, good grief!!!!! What can be said, really????

:shk:

edit on 1-9-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
maybe this has to do with the chinese government blowing radiotion high into the atmosphere, away from themselves.

i´ve read that somewhere, can´t substantiate the claim at the moment.

this whole radiotion scenario worries me, heck i´m even bothered by the word itself.

SnF for bringing to my attention.

of digging to back up my claims

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

I love the way the simulation stops after the 24th March....LIKE HELL IT DID. It has been non-stop. It's very very sad.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

if i google for radiotion and fukushima, most articles appearing on google are from march - april 2011.

maybe i'm just not the best googler

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

Yes, that worries me too.

Frankly, I am not convinced we are being told the true scale of our exposure.

Without the MSM pressing for answers, it isn't likely answers will be forthcoming.

I suppose one silver lining in this is CEREA could be very wrong.

Let's hope so!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
I suppose one silver lining in this is CEREA could be very wrong.
Those models are a best guess.

However since the winds tend to blow easterly in general (with exceptions, such as typhoons, etc), it makes sense that the wind blowing the radiation east means more of it will end up east of the site than west of the site where it emanates. That's only logical, I don't see why anyone would be surprised by that.

Having said that, the radiation levels in Western Japan should be not much above background and in the western US I'm not surprised if they are slightly higher than in Western Japan.

However the most dangerous radiation is shown on this map:

As that map shows, the fallout fades out to background levels well before it reaches Western Japan, so go even further west and the radiation levels will be even lower than shown.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I don't know, the US and Russia are the two biggest nuclear warhead testers...How do we know our large levels of radiation are not from bomb testing. As far as I know, maps of radiation levels on such a large geographic scale have never been compiled before(or by non government third parties). It could explain the large cancer rates even though people live more healthy. Just musing.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I've been thinking about the nuclear crisis in Japan quite a bit lately. Living in the NorthWest US, right in the path of the jet stream that passes by Japan, has a bit to do with it. Too bad it's not an El Nino year. I've been checking radiation maps of the US mainland frequently, and sufing site after site for info on what's really happening on the other side of the Pacific.

So, maybe all of the info is finally getting to me...because I just had a feeling of dread come over me, and it lingered. If you've never felt "dread", I envy you. It's an empty, cold, dark, hopeless experience. Antibiotics used to make me feel this way, and it was terribly difficult to sleep, eat, or anything at all, really. Well, I haven't had any pills in a very long time, so I don't think that it was external chemically induced.

I read the CNN headline about the Virginia quake last week shifting some nuclear fuel storage tanks, and that was from a moderate quake. Then, I come to ATS and I see another, much smaller, quake hits the same area today...foreshocks..? It got me thinking about how many nuclear plants, spent and current fuel storage facilities, and waste facilities that we have here in the US, especially on the East Coast. What's going to happen if there's a sizeable quake on the New Madrid? Let's say a magnitude 6.5 - 7. That area is capable of one, and is overdue, if anything I've seen on this site 'ain't learnt me nuthin' (just as we are looong overdue for a major quake up here from the Juan de Fuca fault line). I think about what impacts that a major seismic event and subsequent tsunami on the US Pacific Coast would have on me nearly every day, now. My family has been on the Oregon Coast for nearly 150 years. My father, grandmother, countless cousins, and friends I consider to be family live there currently. My wife, even, is taking care of my grandmother, while I am desperately trying to move her up to the Portland area, where I am currently working (sporadically).

So, all of this fallout sh!t really burns me. I mean, I have enough bs to worry about, and now this. Way to go, cheap energy source! All we need to pay with is our health...yay!...

This is a "man-made" disaster, not an unpreventable event. We, man, have chosen to act as a God, and created fuel that never stops burning. Well...congrats...now we've f@cked up the planet, beyond any scope ever imagined. This needs to be the definitive wake up call to the world. We need to be resolute and demand an alternative to nuclear power, NOW. We may already be too late, as it seems that Mother Earth is starting to stir more often, and more impressively, than in any other time in man's recent history. Geologic events are occurring all over the world at an alarming rate, and I know that by being in the "information age", we are able to hear about, or even witness, these events quicker than ever before...but...come on...even I can see it.

Anyway, my dread didn't last long...just long enough for me to remember what it felt like. I hate it. Feels like I have no power or ability to change my own path...and the one I'm on leads to ultimate pain. I really hope it's not a precurser of more instances of the feeling. I also pray that I'm not having some clairvoyant vision of what's to come.

Sorry if this post was all over the place, I think I'm feeling a bit "falloutish"...

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

What do the numbers mean? What level poses an actual health risk?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Oh, that's just wonderful. I live on the the north coast of Cal.

So obviously I've been looking into this as well. But this is not something I have come across before.

I need a break down of what kind of health risks we are talking about, what levels of radiation. Because my friend's geigometer has not been acting up at all. Maybe a click a minute.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by loam

What do the numbers mean? What level poses an actual health risk?

The radioactive isotope caesium-137 has a half-life of about 30 years

en.wikipedia.org...

Not good for the home team.

ETA: This is a fracking nightmare!
edit on 1-9-2011 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThinkingCap
Oh, that's just wonderful. I live on the the north coast of Cal.

I am in Sacramento myself

Am I out of harms way? Is it the coast or Cali in general?

I wanted to move to the coast...

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by kn0wh0w
maybe this has to do with the chinese government blowing radiotion high into the atmosphere, away from themselves.

i´ve read that somewhere, can´t substantiate the claim at the moment.

this whole radiotion scenario worries me, heck i´m even bothered by the word itself.

SnF for bringing to my attention.

of digging to back up my claims

Don't you mean Japanese government.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

That has little meaning unless you know what the dangerous level is. I'm having a hard time finding that information. Thought you folks who follow this would know.

It could well be that map which they admit if you go to the source may not be accurate is showing safe levels that don't warrant worry.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

Thats a general misconception around the world. Geiger counters are pretty useless for measuring this sort of hot particle contamination since as few as 20 particles in the lung or colon can cause cancer. They simply cannot measure the contamination spread that thin even though its extremely potent when its plutonium.

The CVD and common Geiger instruments are really only good for bomb blast fallout where a significant amount of earth ejecta is present. Or in the case of source contamination such as the plant.

There are three types of killer radiation. Most instruments only measure one. The others are usually detected on hepa filter pads once they concentrate over time.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by beezzer

That has little meaning unless you know what the dangerous level is. I'm having a hard time finding that information. Thought you folks who follow this would know.

It could well be that map which they admit if you go to the source may not be accurate is showing safe levels that don't warrant worry.

Yeah - come on people - can we get a real idea of what I am currently being subjected to?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

A half life of 30 years means that in thirty years, it'll be at 50%, in another 30 years, it'll be at 25%. . . ad nauseum.

Cesium 137 is a type tht is emitted from gamma radiation. Meaning that unlike I-137 it won't be blocked by iodine or any prophalactic compound. Look for increases in leukemia, birth defects, cancers.

Not good. Not bloody well good.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I'm fully aware of that having originally been a Geology Major. What matters here is are these levels safe or not. For all we know this is no more dangerous than normal background radiation.

For instance people who have slag on their roads or drives are exposed to many times background and yet have nothing to worry about. Radiation is naturally most everywhere.

Surely on a topic this discussed somebody has found out what the danger levels are?

No time today, but over the weekend I'll try to work it out.

I also understand going over saltwater is a good thing and diminishes the threat greatly.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

The magnitude of the deposition field is uncertain and the simulated values of deposited radionuclides could be significantly different from the actual deposition. In particular, the source term remains uncertain. Therefore, these results should be seen as preliminary and they are likely to be revised as new information become available to better constrain the source term and when radionuclides data can be used to evaluate the model simulation results.

ex-skf.blogspot.com/2011/08/map-of-cesium-137-deposition-across.html

Why even make an article, if you do not have the information?

This is a simulation.

ETA: Can someone tell me why my letters are different? They are different are'nt they?

Am I the only one seeing this?

edit on 1-9-2011 by liejunkie01 because: ETA:Can someone tell me why my letters are different? They are different are'nt they?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
It nothing horrible. Yes there is going to be trace amounts everywhere but as for harmful? Cancer rates maybe slightly higher in the next decade, but, by slightly, I do mean slightly.

While it's a horrible situation and should have never happened, it will barely will affect us. We inhale/ingest much worse chemicals everyday in normal foods and city air that will be much more harmful for us. I do suggest avoiding rain though. It will just concentrate the isotopes, so if directly exposed, make sure to shower.

While it looks bad it is negligible. And if your worried eat properly so the radioactive isotopes cannot be absorbed into your body.

Pred...
edit on 1-9-2011 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join