It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michele Bachmann considers drilling the FL Everglades

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
She says, "it would need to be certified with a great deal of certitude."

The Story > www.huffingtonpost.com...

The Everglades are a natural resource most South Floridians are proud of and would not like to see touched. The Everglades perform a vital function to the planet and region as an aquifer which "serves as the main source of fresh water for the northern portion of Florida."
"Everglades National Park, the largest subtropical wilderness in the United States, boasts rare and endangered species. It has been designated a World Heritage Site, International Biosphere Reserve, and Wetland of International Importance, significant to all people of the world." www.nps.gov...

UNESCO and the Ramsar Convention designated the Everglades as one of only three wetland areas of global importance.en.wikipedia.org...

Fluctuating sea levels compressed numerous layers of calcium carbonate, sand, and shells. The resulting permeable limestone formations that developed between 25 million and 70 million years ago created the Floridan Aquifer, which serves as the main source of fresh water for the northern portion of Florida en.wikipedia.org...

Is this woman just hopelessly mis-informed? I find it troubling when people make irresponsible remarks like this simply to appeal to a gross and insensitive political base. "Yes, we will ignore protected lands, screw the EPA and drill baby drill on them anyway." (???) It is hard to believe there is a "base" this sort of talk appeals to but unfortunately, seems there is. Still there is no way Floridians will allow this to happen. Steps in this same direction were taken by GWB but local outcry stopped any further encroachment upon the Everglades early in 2000.

This link holds 2 video reports. One of her remarks and another video of the local fallout and criticism of her comments. www.huffingtonpost.com...

Rep. Allen West (R-Fla.) said that Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann made "an incredible faux pas" when she said she would consider drilling for oil and natural gas in the Everglades over the weekend, the Palm Beach Post reports.

"The United States needs to be less dependent on foreign sources of energy and more dependent upon American resourcefulness," Bachmann said during a stop in Florida on Sunday. "Whether that is in the Everglades, or whether that is in the eastern Gulf region, or whether that's in North Dakota, we need to go where the energy is."

In 2002, the federal government at the urging of President George W. Bush bought back oil and gas drilling rights in the Everglades for $120 million. Bachmann, who wants to get rid of the federal Environmental Protection Agency, said she would rely on experts to determine whether drilling can be done without harming the environment.

Tuesday, a CBS reporter in Miami confronted Bachmann about her call for drilling, asking,
"Why would you invade that natural resource with gas and oil drilling?"

Bachmann responded, "Let's access this wonderful treasure trove of energy that God has given us in this country. Let's access it responsibly."

Is there even any oil beneath the Everglades?

10News sat down with USF Geologist Dr. Albert Hine, and he told us,
"There is no known evidence that there is a significant hydrocarbon deposit beneath the Everglades."

edit on 1-9-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

"The United States needs to be less dependent on foreign sources of energy and more dependent upon American resourcefulness," Bachmann said during a stop in Florida on Sunday. "Whether that is in the Everglades, or whether that is in the eastern Gulf region, or whether that's in North Dakota, we need to go where the energy is."

Why is this even a story?
To me, it looked like she was throwing a few random place names into the air to underline her actual point that the USA needs to stop being so dependent on foreign oil.

I see no evidence here that there was ever any real actual consideration of drilling in that place.

And I say this not as a Bachmann defender.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
She really should join up with Sarah Palin.

Drill baby, drill.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

If she wasn't serious that might be even worse? it would like be naming a place without actual resources but just because it would incite people.. Maybe she is really trying to ruin herself.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

To me, it looked like she was throwing a few random place names into the air to underline her actual point that the USA needs to stop being so dependent on foreign oil.
I see no evidence here that there was ever any real actual consideration of drilling in that place.

Why is that the only quote you take from her speech?
Forgetting the rest of it?

This is a story for the people who live in Florida and care about their environment and their drinking water.

Maybe not so much to you.

Sure your state has other natural resources some enterprising entrepreneurs (backed by the GOP) have not YET FULLY exploited to maximize profit making potential. Your day will come.

And maybe you are aware the Everglades is an aquifer but apparently this woman does not.
As a local Floridian I find it useful to know where she stands on this issue.

Ignorant though she may be...or not, I know now if someone told her "It's OK to drill here Michele, the EPA is making stuff up and this land is not that crucial" - she would have drilling rigs here in the morning.

And I agree...she was "throwing a few random names in the air" without knowing what the heck she was talking about. That is a story for this woman who is supposed to be running for President. Shouldn't she have a clue?
edit on 1-9-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by alfa1

If she wasn't serious that might be even worse? it would like be naming a place without actual resources but just because it would incite people.. Maybe she is really trying to ruin herself.

Exactly! Thank you for pointing that out.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Can't be worse than drilling 1 mile deep in the ocean. Probably much safer.

Such a shame that much of the US is off limits to drilling, and we have to rely on Arab countries for oil, when we don't have to.

We also need to open up ANWR while we are at it.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Can't be worse than drilling 1 mile deep in the ocean. Probably much safer.

Such a shame that much of the US is off limits to drilling, and we have to rely on Arab countries for oil, when we don't have to.

We also need to open up ANWR while we are at it.

Carseller...does this have anything to do with the business you are in?

It has long been known the automobile and fuel industries are working hand in hand to keep energy efficient cars off the road and to keep us burning as much gas as quickly as we can.

BECAUSE: What will oil manufacturers do if there is an alternative found to fuel oil?

That's right...out of business.

So you see, there is a vested interest not to find that alternative.

UNLESS you are in the automotive or fuel industry...I don't see why you are not exploring alternative means of energy. KNOWING that the continued burning of fossil fuels is choking off life on the planet. You care about future generations don't you? Or is it just about getting what you want, when you want it, without regard or consideration for much of anything else? That's OK too. I see it a lot.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Magic
She really should join up with Sarah Palin.

Drill baby, drill.

It is just a talking point based on the popularity of "drill baby, drill" and we will probably see Rick Perry offer to drill for natural gas in Yellowstone. It is the way they roll.

It is interesting what a short term memory we have for disasters.
We want to forget them quickly.... and so we do.

I wonder if there is a more advanced, more evolved species than even we are?
Wonder if there is a race similar to humans but one that learns from their mistakes and does not repeat them like a dumb animal? I'll bet they don't wipe themselves out.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
drill it and be responsible.

personally i don't want to be beholden to anyone outside the us for my energy.

you chumps give up the glades then you still want us to import and be at the mercy of opec and everyone else.

drill baby!! build some refineries while your at it!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
She's an uneducated LUNATIC!!!

Ever since Bush, we've been drilling MORE in the US. Did the price of oil come down? NO!

Only 2 things are accomplished by drilling in the Everglades:

1) Oil companies (who pay politicians like Bachmann) make more profit.
2) The Everglades get destroyed.

Have people already forgotten the BP oil spill?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
"Look something is still mostly natural and untouched! Kill it! Let's destroy all that is naturally important to the ecosystem and destroy it in the name of business!"

This is the attitude of all GOP. We don't need safety regulations. We don't need natural lands which promote the ecosystem. We don't need the FDA or anything of the sort. Those things destroy profits and we just cannot have that.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
She is politically trolling. Politicians have learned that if they say something controversial enough they can get tons of attention. It energizes her base (whoever that may be), and further polarizes the political discourse in The United States. They have learned that it's not enough to have something to fight for, they must also have an enemy to fight against. The more controversial the comment ->the more verbal the objection ->the more her supporters want to defend her.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

So she is another one of the -- "my statements were not actually meant to be factual" crowd -- I am sorry that you find that acceptable. Here's your sign and welcome the new world of idiocracy.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
What bothers me the most about this is that politicians, whether liberal or conservative, just can't keep their grimy do gooder hands off of everything..

They don't just do it for show during campaign season though, they really mess stuff up and they do it often..

They want to "fix" everything, and usually it is all things that aren't broken, when they should be fixing the true issues.. Always politically motivated.. speak out and don't put up with it

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeistMelange
She is politically trolling. Politicians have learned that if they say something controversial enough they can get tons of attention. It energizes her base (whoever that may be), and further polarizes the political discourse in The United States. They have learned that it's not enough to have something to fight for, they must also have an enemy to fight against. The more controversial the comment ->the more verbal the objection ->the more her supporters want to defend her.

I think you are right with this. She is just trying to energize her base. I was trying to figure out why make such a controversial comment but this must be it. She might get campaign donations from energy companies just by saying this line where ever she goes....win or lose.

new topics

top topics

join