It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sedna's Dark, Mystery Moon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Hmmnn...

www.newscientist.com...

"The mystery surrounding Sedna - the most distant object ever seen in the Solar System - deepened as astronomers calculated that the planetoid's "missing" moon must belong to an entirely new class of celestial object, and is possibly the darkest body in the Solar System.

"When Sedna was spotted in November 2003 it was the largest object found since the discovery of Pluto. "

Sedna has already caused a stir because of its unusual orbit -- some people have argued that it indicates the existence of a larger, unknown planet -- but here's yet another oddity. I find it interesting that one of the solar system's brightest objects (Sedna has a highly reflective surface) has a companion that is perhaps the solar system's darkest object.

Anyone care to conjecture as to what else might be affecting Sedna... fo fun?

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Here are some more links about Sedna:

science.nasa.gov...

www.gps.caltech.edu...

Q

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Hmmm...

It's not been proven that there's even a moon there. The moon's existence is supposed due to an unconfirmed slow rotation rate of the "planet". Again, they're not even sure of this as of now. Really the only hard data they have is that it's waaaay out there, kinda reddish, and has a totally screwed up orbit.

Lotta questions about this one. Perhaps when we're all old and feeble we'll have a probe sent out to it...

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 01:49 AM
link   
There is another force @ work causing the extreme eliptical orbit, such as nearby stars or a planet theorized to be near Mars in mass @ 70x the distance to our own sun. This object has not been discovered yet however maybe this could be planet "X".

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Has any data been found as far as it's material composition, or would we have to wait until a probe is sent out?

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crysstaafur
Has any data been found as far as it's material composition, or would we have to wait until a probe is sent out?

I'm sure that they'll do a spectral analysis of it soon... if they haven't already. You might want to recheck some of those reference links.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I noticed in the picture detailing its highly eliptical orbit around the sun that there is a point where its very close to the sun when compared to its farthest location during its 10,500 year orbit.

I also saw a piece of wall art that was either Mesopotamian or Egyptian that indicated there were ten planets in the solar system. I wonder how long its been since it was at its closest orbital distance from the sun and if this was the reason for the wall art indicating that there were ten planets.

I can't find the picture in question, but did the articles say when in our history that it came closest to the sun? I didn't see it anwhere.

I'm not sure of all my facts, and I know I'm being vague, but it just lit a bulb in my head when I saw its orbit.

top topics

join