It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

16 year old girl hanged in public for her "sharp tongue"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 12:29 AM
link   
On Sunday, August 15, a 16-year-old girl in the town of Neka, northern Iran, was executed. Ateqeh Sahaleh was hanged in public on Simetry Street off Rah Ahan Street at the city center.

How's it Hanging

She was not given a lawyer and the sentence seems to have been a personal thing with the judge.

[edit on 22-8-2004 by BOHICA]

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 03:14 AM
link   
This sort of thing happens all the time over there, I lived in Saudi for a short time and even though I was much too young to remember it, I remember a story my dad told me when I was around 16. I'm not going into detail here just illustrating the situation from a 1st hand source. Basically he stubled into a square with a bunch of people crowding around somthing looking very interested. Some of them saw my Dad and grabbed him and shoved him to the front to see. What he saw was what was obviously a white choth covered head with stains of blood. My dad asked what she did(He knew the gender because of the screams......) and they told him that she commited Adultry or some such. Barbaric. Simply Barbaric. EDIT: They were stoning her and she was buried from the neck down

[edit on 22-8-2004 by sardion2000]

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 03:22 AM
link   
jeez. If I was a bit more detached and cold, I would probably recommend a rally for universal MRI scans on these people to check for server mental disorders. What is regretable is that things have been this way probably ever since humanity began in this area. It make one wonder why many would want to suggest that many humans migrated north and south and quite far away!

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I know it seems barbaric to us but to them it seems perfectly normal and just payment for such a crime.

It's just like in the US using the death penalty, people actually watching the execution on a big screen outside of the prison, crowds of people come and watch and they bring lawn chairs and everything! A person like me from Australia finds that absolutely appalling.

It's all about what our societies find acceptable

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 06:11 AM
link   
It may seem "normal" to them but they are all animals. No wonder we have so many illiagel imigrants coming over for refuge. I wonder what the girls crime was being to cheecky? not preforming sexual acts on the judge? anyone who supports this is evil.
When the people get a taste of democracy they feel much safer.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I would have to concur that the execution of a person for a 'crime' is best not to be a spectator sport. Many americans (surprise!) find it disturbing. I feel it should only be witnessed by those who are directly related to the victim(in the case of murder) and no one else. Stoning someone because of 'crimes of passion' is one of the most regressive things I have ever heard of.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Much as I find that a disgusting story of what happened (assuming it is the whole story and true) I have to say Iran is not the only place where appalling and totally outrageous acts of capital punishment go on.

The USA has killed people - even very young people - with proven mental illness and the mentally retarded. People who were clearly not responsible for their actions.

I don't support capital punishment and I'm glad I live in a country where 'we' don't have it (and contrary to the 'deterrence arguement 'we' in europe don't have a murder epidemic).

To me the whole thing is 'animalistic' and barbaric. I see no real 'high ground' to be had in this topic. Sorry.

[edit on 22-8-2004 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   
You know, if this standard was applied to ATS emmbers how many of us would be found "Guilty" by such a system. How about ALL of us.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 08:42 AM
link   
All I can say is that I would be so screwed if I lived in Iran...

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by drfunk
It's just like in the US using the death penalty, people actually watching the execution on a big screen outside of the prison, crowds of people come and watch and they bring lawn chairs and everything! A person like me from Australia finds that absolutely appalling.

Dude, I don't know were you get your information but the executions are NOT public events, nor are they on TV. When a prisoner is executed, family, the victems family, media, and witnesses are in the death chamber. The only time there was a TV aspect was the Tim McVeigh execution. Due to the large numbers of families a closed circuit TV was set up to allow families that wanted to watch the oppurtunity to do so. It was still not a public event.

THere are always people outside protesting executions, but its not a sporting event as you seem to think..

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Just imagine these people armed with nuclear weapons and using the justification "they had a sharp tongue" and deserved to be annihillated.

In the U.S. people are in fact executed for crimes, murder with egregious circumstances, not for having a sharp tongue

Moral equivalency does not apply here and to attempt to do so is patently wrong.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Apparently, she was sentenced to death only because of the judge. In every country in the world surely there are more cases like this, that's what happens when someone has so much power as that of a judge.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
Apparently, she was sentenced to death only because of the judge. In every country in the world surely there are more cases like this, that's what happens when someone has so much power as that of a judge.

It was Probably this judge.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Die Trying
It may seem "normal" to them but they are all animals. No wonder we have so many illiagel imigrants coming over for refuge. I wonder what the girls crime was being to cheecky? not preforming sexual acts on the judge? anyone who supports this is evil.
When the people get a taste of democracy they feel much safer.

This is a good reason for going to war with Iran! Let's go! Let's kills 100s of thousands to start another democracy! But sir, have looked behind? What kind of s*** have we left in Afghanistan? And Iraq?
What democracy are you talking about? Democracy is about giving the power to the people, not to puppet governments, which are in any way a dictatorship.

Sorry... you didn't get my vote.

new topics

top topics

join