It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's done: bruised egos lead to the release of uncensored WikiLeaks cables

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   

It’s done: bruised egos lead to the release of uncensored WikiLeaks cables

www.crikey.com.au

The full, unredacted set of WikiLeaks cables is now available online and in readable form, courtesy of a three-way clash of egos between Julian Assange, disgruntled ex-WikiLeaks volunteer Daniel Domscheit-Berg and the Guardian’s senior journalists.

The release places in potentially grave danger US diplomatic sources whose names have been removed from the publicly released cables.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Please use the exact same title as the source and the first 1/2 paragraphs. Thank you.
edit on 1-9-2011 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-9-2011 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
You have to wonder what the ramifications of this are going to be.
If you consider that this archive contains the un-redacted cables and therefore the names of the US diplomats that created them are now public.
I don't have access to the original archive so i cannot guarantee that this password is correct. Maybe someone could give it a try and let us know.

www.crikey.com.au

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Utopian

Could I get a link to the file...
so I can try this out

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Downloading file now to give it a go....will report back.

Just had to do a simple google search to find it of course.

Large file so going to take an hour or more to DL.
edit on 1-9-2011 by buskey because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vandalour

so I can try this out

www.abovetopsecret.com...

See link in OP..

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   
If you have the bandwidth, here are the links to the Insurance file.

Link

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by BeyondPerception

Originally posted by Vandalour

so I can try this out

www.abovetopsecret.com...

See link in OP..

That link was not in OP, also seems to be to a thread about the newest WL file released, not the original file referred to in the OP.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   

edit on 1-9-2011 by boredsilly because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Utopian

You have to wonder what the ramifications of this are going to be.
If you consider that this archive contains the un-redacted cables and therefore the names of the US diplomats that created them are now public.
I don't have access to the original archive so i cannot guarantee that this password is correct. Maybe someone could give it a try and let us know.

www.crikey.com.au

I think the ramifications are going to be serious in some circles and downright tragic in others. Wow... It'll take quite some time for the rest of the world to get through all the material if this DOES open it up. I've got whatever file was first linked through Wikileaks a few days after the initial public announcement that such a file existed. I really didn't expect it to remain available long, so I moved quick.... I hope that means it's the original one. I didn't figure at the time that Wiki would link to a bunk version of their own insurance.

I'll wait for someone else to try this and come back saying it all worked though. As noted in a previous message on the topic, there is something about that file I've had a bad feeling about since immediately after downloading it. I'm not playing guinea pig with my copy to confirm there aren't some heretofore unknown tricks involved with it.

If this IS what they say it is in there, the stakes are too high for me to risk mine. Now I understand why he believed it was insurance.....although I'll bet there are still surprises in there that the media companies never got to see. Just my thoughts.... It wouldn't have been insurance if any outsiders had ever seen ALL of it.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   

The problem was, the password was made available, by none other than The Guardian’s David Leigh, in his book released in February this year co-written with Luke Harding, WikiLeaks: Inside Julian Assange’s War on Secrecy. An extract from the book, which was published after the encrypted material had gone online:

Eventually, Assange capitulated. Late at night, after a two-hour debate, he started the process on one of his little netbooks that would enable Leigh to download the entire tranche of cables. The Guardian journalist had to set up the PGP encryption system on his laptop at home across the other side of London. Then he could feed in a password. Assange wrote down on a scrap of paper:

CollectionOfHistorySince_1966_ToThe_PresentDay#

“That’s the password,” he said. “But you have to add one extra word when you type it in. You have to put in the word ‘Diplomatic’ before the word ‘History’ Can you remember that?” “I can remember that.” Leigh set off home, and successfully installed the PGP software.

So its wasnt Assange that put lives in danger after all its the Guardian and David Leigh. I really hope they are procecuted for their actions.

I very much doubt if anyone will ever trust the Guardian with anything like this again. Putting sensitive confidential info like this into a book (to be sold for profit) as about as unprofessional as it gets.

edit on 1-9-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
The cables released only had names in of peeps already released by other media sources..

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Who would have thought that self-serving politically-appointed social club members would have used the color of their diplomatic status to engage in the kind of behavior that would further the agenda of their corporate or ideologically bent associates; and then use the resources of the US government to classify and hide the facts for them... thus making their indiscretions and piss-poor judgement the business of our security apparatus to protect?
Then, when by whatever series of events, we discover the depths and breadth of their shameful modus operandi they claim that that they need further protection from exposure.... and call for the vilification of those who exposed them.

The corporate political party will use its media arm to convince you that the diplomats in question are heroes betrayed. Ironic, no? It was (and likely continues to be) we who were betrayed, who were used as the 'excuse' for allowing the judgement of the elite to reflect "the will of the American people."

No doubt there will be a few cases where honor and appropriate need justified the restriction of the information.... but the number of cases they choose to make representative of the 'travesty' of the breach will demonstrate just how abused the system has been... and the corporate political party wants it to remain so... just listen to the "press" characterize the event... ignoring the shame of the actors, in favor of the inflated outrage over the exposure.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Utopian

yep..now it will be even harder for people willing to take the risk.i guess the relentless search for proof got to the keeper of the keys.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
do you still believe this wikipedia bollox??

have a watch of this- www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Shame on those Guardian rats who did this. Shame on you, if you're reading this.

I wonder how much they were paid by the CIA to do it.

Shame on them.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Message posted by wikileaks on their Twitter account:

twitter.com...#!/wikileaks/statuses/108251897961517056

WikiLeaks 'insurance' files have not been decrypted. All press are currently misreporting. There is an issue, but not that issue

edit on 1-9-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I wholeheartedly agree!

The problem is the world has been turned upside down, and people have accepted that this is how it should be.

The fact of the matter is YOU ARE THE BOSS... politicians, diplomats, etc... are CIVIL SERVANTS... they are supposed to work FOR you.

Can you imagine an employee from any other company refusing to reveal crucial information to their superiors? It is utterly ridiculous, yet, we allow it from our elected officials and those they have appointed.

The same argument used by law enforcement to justify closed circuit surveillance of the general population applies to those employed to work for the people:

"If you have done nothing wrong, then you have nothing to worry about."

Why do so many people seem worried? That is the real question.

the Billmeister

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Can anyone care to summarise the "secret" documents to those who have crappy internet download speeds?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Iv been saying for months that he should just release them all and stop with the delaying tatic of releasing a few at a time......least now he's released them , shame all the banks cables emails are gone......

All im taking away from this experiance is that the banks can afford to buy the cables but the government isint...so what does this tell you.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I have to say I am glad there was a screw up here from the standpoint of allowing us to have access to all unfiltered information. On CNN, their article was saying that not only are the cables filtered by the media outlets they are released to, but they are pre-filtered by Wikileaks prior to public release. So who knows how much important or secret information is being taken out? Well, this screw up will show us if there are filtered versions floating around out there to compare it to.

However, this will certainly cause a chilling effect on some whistleblowers and informants, which is not such a good thing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join