It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Standing 20 yards from a volcano when in erupts...video

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Wow totally dangerous. I recall the video in Hawaii of the guy falling down the Geyser hole and dying. Dangerous stuff indeed!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

Hmm,inexperienced volcano hunters-They were lucky to get the vid and escape with their lives.
Car sized chunks of rock can easily be lauched by such a release,and there is also the invisible gas danger.

They really should have been running I think.

they were lucky-But this is not a recommended activity IMO.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Yeah they were really lucky. This was a very very small eruption.

It made an awesome video though and I liked their reactions.

Thanks for posting it.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Nice! But I mean, who honestly didn't want a boulder to come tumbling down from above the ash cloud, and strike mr giggly woopsiedaisy cover my mouth DOWN and smite him real good!!!!!!

Might be just me though..

You'd be able to feel those blasts intensely, too.. That alone would be a thrill to experience!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Three words... Mt. St.Helens... Don't mess around with mother nature.
I guess these guys are no different than Base jumpers. Big wave riders, Heli-skiiers, (insert your own thrill-seeking activity).
Life is a little risky at times even if we don't realize it. I can see the "you only live once" attitude in these youngins'.
Heck read my signature...
edit on 1-9-2011 by redzareptile because: I haven't had my coffee yet!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by EartOccupant
Yes they are dutch, and they EXPECT the eruption.

Prior to the eruption they talk about they are waiting for it to erupt.

So maybe it's like a geiser at some places, they erupt like clockwork.

I wondered. It seemed sort of staged. Volcanoes don't erupt like clockwork, and this ... looked more like a triggered explosion than a volcanic eruption. Volcanic eruptions generally don't burst the ground and they come from a caldera (not a mound.) Could be wrong, but something seemed very off to me.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I had no idea "holy sh*t" was universal! I assumed in other countries they say it in their own language.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Hmmm

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
lmao.... common sense isn't so common.

Pretty sure I want to be as far away from a volcano as I can when it erupts.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Being engulfed by a pyroclastic wall of ash and turned into jerky doesn't quite fit my destiny.

What if it had been a bigger then normal eruption? What if the ground gave way beneath their feat or rocks showered down upon them until they were stoned to death?

Or if the release of gas immediately pushed away all oxygen leaving only poisonous fume.

I'd rather see the magma at Hawaii personally.
edit on 1-9-2011 by Gradius Maximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

I found something you may find interesting.

Stromboli Sicily

Mt Stromboli has been in almost one continuous eruption for the past 20,000 years. This pattern of eruption has been maintained, in which explosions occur at the summit craters with mild to moderate eruptions of incandescent volcanic bombs at intervals ranging from minutes to hours. This characteristic Strombolian eruption, as it is known, is also observed at other volcanoes worldwide. Eruptions from the summit craters typically result in a few second-lasting mild energetic bursts emitting ash, incandescent lava fragments and lithic blocks up to a few hundred metres in height. Stromboli's activity is almost exclusively explosive, but lava flows do occur at times: an effusive eruption in 2002 was its first in 17 years.

Ok this lead me to this article: Strombolian Eruptions

Strombolian eruptions are relatively low-level volcanic eruptions, named after the Italian volcano Stromboli, where such eruptions consist of ejection of incandescent cinder, lapilli and lava bombs to altitudes of tens to hundreds of meters. They are small to medium in volume, with sporadic violence.

They are defined as "...Mildly explosive at discrete but fairly regular intervals of seconds to minutes..."

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join