It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama says he's going to work on getting us jobs and help the middle class

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I'm one who, even if I can't stand a president, will subscribe to see what they say, do, propose and the sort just to stay above water if you will. So I get these period letters from him and his wife (mass mailings of course, not 'personal' letters) and read this one I got tonight and HAD to come share it with you.

I'm like "yeah bs. I'll believe it when I see it. Yawn". I'm sure most of you will say the same. I copied it from my email as it read, nothing changed at all.

What do you all think? xD

-----

Sarah --

Today I asked for a joint session of Congress where I will lay out a clear plan to get Americans back to work. Next week, I will deliver the details of the plan and call on lawmakers to pass it.

Whether they will do the job they were elected to do is ultimately up to them.

But both you and I can pressure them to do the right thing. We can send the message that the American people are playing by the rules and meeting their responsibilities -- and it's time for our leaders in Congress to meet theirs.

And we must hold them accountable if they don't.

So I'm asking you to stand with me in calling on Congress to step up and take action on jobs:

my.barackobama.com...

No matter how things go in the weeks and months ahead, this will be an important challenge for our organization.

It's been a long time since Congress was focused on what the American people need them to be focused on.

I know that you're frustrated by that. I am, too.

That's why I'm putting forward a set of bipartisan proposals to help grow the economy and create jobs -- that means strengthening our small businesses, giving needed breaks to middle-class families, while taking responsible steps to bring down our deficit.

I'm asking lawmakers to look past short-term politics and take action on that plan. But we've got to do this together.

I will deliver this message to Congress next week, but I'm asking you to stand alongside me today:

my.barackobama.com...

More to come,

Barack

Paid for by Obama for America

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
well time is running out for Mr President..
he has a year left, he better get to creating...

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

I remember a time when Obama said he would get our troops home. How's that working out for ya, B-rock?

He's just saying this to appease the pissed off Americans. Nothing too substantial will come from this IMO. Have you guys noticed that Obama constantly tries to level with us and say things like "You guys are frusturated and I understand" or "The American people are fed up"? Yeah we're pissed off, do something useful instead of just pointing out the obvious!
edit on 31-8-2011 by TupacShakur because: to edit my post

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

Obama has already bought most of our troops home, so, yeah, he is making good on that promise.

Considering how badly our economy was destroyed by the corrupt GW admin, that things aren't continuing to get worse is quite an accomplishment by Obama.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Some of the largest contingents are the 85,600 military personnel deployed in Iraq, the 103,700 in Afghanistan
That's what Wikipedia says as of 9 months ago, do you have a source that says how many troops are currently there because I couldn't find anything newer.

Considering how badly our economy was destroyed by the corrupt GW admin, that things aren't continuing to get worse is quite an accomplishment by Obama.
I don't think the blame rests entirely with Bush, I think they're both at fault here. The job market hasn't exactly been booming under the Obama Administration to say the least.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
At least Obama is talking about job creation.

The only thing the repub candidates are talking is how lazy we all are, and how working people in the U.S. don't work hard enough, and while they don't say it, they want to continue to increase our taxes through back door expenses, while reducing government services that actually benefit the public, instead of ICs.

The only thing Obama needs to do to stimulate job growth, is go after the corporations hiring illegals, and he is quietly doing that.

Bust the corporations who have illegals working on their property, drain their deep wallets, and make the corporations go after the contractors to recover their legal costs.

edit on 31-8-2011 by poet1b because: change cut taxes to increase taxes through back door expenses

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Thought he already had a stimulus created for that? Oh well I have had a shortage of smoke blown up my backside lately. Perhaps a little less talk and a lot more action.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Government does NOT create jobs!!!! How hard is it for people to figure that out. The only thing government can do is get the hell out of the way and let a business run itself. The only way to create jobs in this country is to put a massive tariff on imported goods, and then lock down the border. Why are we allowing more and more people in, while there are unemployed in this country. Why does Apple Computers hire so many H1-B visas when California is loaded with unemployed engineers? Cancel the H1-B's, lock the border, bring the troops home to guard it, and stop letting cheap Chinese crap into the country for free.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur

I remember a time when Obama said he would get our troops home. How's that working out for ya, B-rock?

Pretty well. Not his fault you're not able to read a newspaper. In his campaign, he promised a drawdown in Iraq. We got a drawdown in Iraq. he also promised to reinforce the operations in Afghanistan... which is exactly what he did. Now he's talking about bringing our guys home from Afghanistan, and so far, he has a pretty good record on keeping his word on this sort of thing.

Funny how the same people who were frothing their pants about the notion of "cut and run" as recently as 2007 are now demanding it.

He's just saying this to appease the pissed off Americans.

As opposed to what, saying nothing? You don't have an argument here.

Nothing too substantial will come from this IMO. Have you guys noticed that Obama constantly tries to level with us and say things like "You guys are frusturated and I understand" or "The American people are fed up"? Yeah we're pissed off, do something useful instead of just pointing out the obvious!

Have you noticed that he kinda sorta relies on the legislature to pass anything he proposes into law, and that he kinda sorta can't rule by imperial fiat? have you noticed that said legislature is kinda-sorta dominated by men and women who have stated their goal as being trashing this country as hard as possible in order to get Obama out of office?

You haven't?

Find a newspaper.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

Government doesn't create jobs but they control everything else to do with jobs right down to the paycheck. I think people are waiting for what you were implying and thats how he can help to create jobs.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
No matter who does it, I just want things to change completely. Go back to how it was when one person working in the family was more than enough to pay bills, food, and still go on outings once a week. Now a days you have to work a full and part time job and even rely on your workable aged kids to pitch in. When my 16 yo son has to pick up a part time job to help me pay my food and bills and rent, that's sad. (He hasn't thank god but still. Point is. Something has to give. Cost of living is ridiculous for the little hours and low wages. I'm lucky to finally have found a job after almost a year unemployed. I got 8.25/hr, 15 to 20 hours a week. That's to pay my 300/mth rent on and bills. LOL.

Something has to give SOON. It's becoming to hard to live.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

Actually it's very easy for the government to create jobs.

"Our highways are falling apart. We are instituting a public works program to update, repair, and safeproof our national transit system, expand our train network, and invest in petroleum alternatives."

Bam. Jobs, wide-open.
edit on 31/8/2011 by TheWalkingFox because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Sadly I'd not be able to work those jobs as I'm not trained or qualified to do that stuff.
They need to stop closing down small businesses. Us min wage workers depend on those to live....

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

There's such a thing as on-the-job training. The days of needing a bachelor's in food management to make fries need to pass the hell by, honestly.

second, the only people closing small businesses are large businesses. Local cannot compete globally. And I wish I had an answer for that problem that didn't amount to "SMASH!"

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Pretty well. Not his fault you're not able to read a newspaper. In his campaign, he promised a drawdown in Iraq. We got a drawdown in Iraq. he also promised to reinforce the operations in Afghanistan... which is exactly what he did. Now he's talking about bringing our guys home from Afghanistan, and so far, he has a pretty good record on keeping his word on this sort of thing.
A newspaper, they still make those? A waste of paper I tell ya, that's why I come here

No but I've heard that he was talking about bring our troops home, but I can't recall reading anything that straight up said something like "Obama has brought 50,000 troops home". Can you link me to something to help me out? Because all of the things I've seen about troop numbers are outdated.

But you said yourself he's just talking about bringing troops home from Afghanistan, he hasn't actually started yet? His campaign promise was to bring the troops home, and "reinforcing the operations" as you put it sounds like it does the opposite, no? But this is some super off-topic stuff......

Funny how the same people who were frothing their pants about the notion of "cut and run" as recently as 2007 are now demanding it.
What do you mean? I wasn't on here to give my opinion in 2007, how do you know what I supported back then?

As opposed to what, saying nothing? You don't have an argument here.
My argument is that he's just saying this to appease the pissed off Americans, and nothing really will change with the job market. I could be wrong, I don't know how the talks/negotiations will work out, or what the speech next week will cover, but I just think that he hasn't been doing such a stellar job so far, and a let-down with his job creating stategies wouldn't shock me. Let's hope it works out though.

Have you noticed that he kinda sorta relies on the legislature to pass anything he proposes into law, and that he kinda sorta can't rule by imperial fiat? have you noticed that said legislature is kinda-sorta dominated by men and women who have stated their goal as being trashing this country as hard as possible in order to get Obama out of office?

You haven't?
They've stated that their goal is to "trash this country as hard as possible", what newspaper are you reading bro?

Find a newspaper.
This website is my newspaper.
edit on 31-8-2011 by TupacShakur because: To edit my post

edit on 1-9-2011 by TupacShakur because: To edit my post

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I see obama like this:

Yes as a Narcissist, I think he is All About Obama.
He Does Not Care About You, We Are The Little People.
If obama cared, we would have at the very lest gotten a 2 % cost of living raise. But not the last two years and it was his statement that the cost of living had not gone up!
But, I don't know anyone traveling to Europe for vacation with family and friends this year or last year.
But obama has, on our dollar, Tax dollars.

edit on 1-9-2011 by guohua because: spelling

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   

The only thing Obama needs to do to stimulate job growth, is go after the corporations hiring illegals, and he is quietly doing that.

Bust the corporations who have illegals working on their property, drain their deep wallets, and make the corporations go after the contractors to recover their legal costs.

That isn't going to work since BO is pressing for amnesty for those illegal workers

the only people closing small businesses are large businesses.

The small business are dying due to paying all the business taxes that the large corporations get away without paying by being global corporations (I.E. General Electric)
edit on 1-9-2011 by CynicalWabbit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur
This website is my newspaper.

Well then you're beyond salvage.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
We need something after the "summer of recovery", what comes next?
The "autum of pandering and blame" right before "the winter of our discontent"?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Pft, they should look at all the red tape too. Locally and nationally on every level and aspect. I read the other day someone wanted to serve coffee and sandwiches, and couldn't even do that. As stupid as that was, all i could say was try and make the system work for you, well, thats part of the problem, the system is designed to work against you.

Look at the cost of education and pell grants. How many students rely on that money to go to school? Yet due to DOE policy and even the state/local community colleges having the final say, no matter the students circumstances, How many actually get to utilize those funds let alone get to attend long enough to have a Bachelors degree to flip burgers? Even the community colleges care very little about their students work/living situations and any circumstance that might cause a student to fail or drop classes.

On the employer level, try applying with your local city for a job, see how long it takes to even get a phone call? The local companies do the same crap. At one time, people did actually hire and train people. Does that even happen now?

My question to Obama is why now? Do you have to wait till election time to figure out the economy is # and that people cant get to work let alone start up a small business under these conditions? How bout the banks that wont loan yet take as much taxpayer money as they can and even then foreclose on poor families homes?

What about the wars? I wont even go there.

Should we even talk about big corporate tax cuts when its those very same big big business who are holding the government and people hostage over taxes? What about the credit agencies? Do they have the power to control our economy? Seems so.

I say forget it. Go play more golf and consider it severance pay.Lets be real about congress too, they are just as much of a problem as anything else. You should all be replaced because it all of your policies that have us in the situation we are all in now.
edit on 1-9-2011 by Nephalim because: there's no saving this dump and we cant just reset.

edit on 1-9-2011 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join