It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rap music is an absolute joke

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_slide

Im 28 yr.s old and I grew up in the BIG/Pac days. I listened to them among my favorite genre, rock. I guess Im just happy someone else is saying what Ive been sayn since the old days. Rap has done nothing but go down hill becoming more commercialized and trashy as the years go by. I remember listening to rap because it was something different than the norm and Pac and Biggy were good at telling a story. Now I cant tell the difference between one loud-mouth $h!t talker from the next. Does claiming to be a "gangsta" while riding in a limo from one venue to the next make you a hippocrit or just plain low class? Its laughable. Hopefully some day REAL talent(playing an instrument, having good vocals) will once again be appreciated by music fans. Until then, anyone who wants to get famous will have to put down the guitar and pick up a book of Doctor Seusse to sharpen their "skillz".

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Any mainstream music is a joke.
Brokencyde is a joke.
Nickelback is a joke.
Kanye West is a joke.

FM radio is a never-ending joke. Occasionally I'll turn on the radio and hear Dio, though, and all will be good if only for a couple minutes...

I know you're only attacking mainstream rap, but for the sake of the conversation I'll just add that all it really takes for me to consider music to be good is for there to be a genuine passion behind it. If somebody grew up in the ghettos of Chicago and can get over the stupid MTV glam that surrounds the hip hop scene, they I can respect them. What makes music terrible is when somebody tries too #ing hard to come off a certain way. Most people can appreciate any kind of music as long as the musician stayed true to themselves when writing it.

When I tell some idiot kid that Brokencyde sucks, they always try to come back with "ITS NOT BAD JUS BECUZ U DONT LYK IT!". They're half right. I said their favorite band sucks because it really is awful, talentless music.

edit on 9/1/2011 by BirdOfillOmen because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Funny thing...even though the words are the same, this is great! See how easy it is to mock?

Now THAT is Rap, lol.

CJ
edit on 1-9-2011 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
macho misogynistic bull#

how the hell did something as wonderful as funk ever evolve into this?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by BirdOfillOmen

So agree with that. Mainstream music... I'd rather have eye surgery during a tax audit than have to listen to any of that sh*t. Rap music? Excuse me while I hurl
Actually, just the other day I was at the Uproar Tour, bands playing there included: 3 Days Grace, Seether, Escape the Fate, Bullet for my Valentine, Sevendust, Blacktide, the Art of Dying and Avenged 7 Fold. I like all of those bands but consider them mainstream as well. Although I don't think they get much air play on FM. If you have Sirius they play them to death at Octane. Anyway... give me SlipKnot any day of the week. But speaking of young, impressionable and angry... AND get this... there was one vendor there selling white supremacist paraphernalia, tee shirts, etc... I couldn't believe it. I asked the guy (in jest) if he was recruiting and his reply was a straight forward "Yes Ma'am". UNbelievable! Anyway... music is music, I would hope that most people like what they like because they can relate to it on some level and because of how it makes them feel, not just because a label tells them they have to like it. Sh*t when I was in high school and everyone was listening to KNOTB, I was banging my head to Iron Maiden and the likes.

Music is my medicine.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

edit on 1-9-2011 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

hahahaha

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
It isn't for everyone and I like it that way. Rap/hip hop began descending when the artists began making music trying to capture as many people as possible. In other words they SOLD out.

If rap music is a joke...then every other genre is a joke also. The entire music industry is a joke because that's exactly what it is...an industry. Corporate America saw the earning potential of rap and they basically ####ed it up. What you are hearing is what the media and the big money is wanting you to hear, can't blame that on artists who actually care about the art form. Their voices are being drowned out by the paid-for clones.

I can see from your posts that you know at least something about hip hop, it's the reason I don't understand why YOU can't understand what has happened. Or perhaps you do, and is just going through a phase.

Yes hip hop samples, it's what the genre is built upon. It's not stealing...actually, most of the artists being sampled now (who have stopped being bitter) are happy their music is being sampled enabling them to be exposed to a younger and wider audience. There are many older artists I would have never checked for if a producer hadn't sampled something of theres. Take Ron Isley...hip hop basically gave him a second career through sampling his music. The same can be said for a multitude of others ie., Anita Baker. Nelly sampling her song enables her to once again do shows and have young people in the audience.

Many people hate hip hop and rap because it's not FOR them. I actually preferred when it was a cliche music form.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun

I actually made some electronic music just for the purpose of showing people how easy it was with a computer.
Rap doesn't impress me.....musicianship does.
Mozart would laugh at rap.
Learn to play an instrument and quit using cheap gimmicks like b**** and n****s and women and money and profanity.(as much as I like cussing)
THAT will impress me more then some idiots who care about what others think and have to wear their pants around their ankles so they can fit in while wearing a hat that makes them look like special ed kids who have never worn a hat before.
The culture and society today really makes me cringe when thinking about the future.
It kind of reminds me of the movie Idiocracy.

As someone typed earlier...so basically you're an ol fart now? What did your parents think about your music...when you were into rock or whatever and they complained that the artists couldn't sing like Frank Sinatra?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
youtu.be...

all that... and a bag of chips

lol
edit on 1-9-2011 by spaceg0at because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I agree very much, but there is a lot of rap artists that actually put soul into the music. ICP i will admit is a joke but some of the artists that surround ICP have a real message. Like Twizted, ABK, Tech N9ne, and other "underground" artists such as George Watsky.
Even though he remixed a beat he's got some stuff to say.

edit on 1-9-2011 by MrRamblinRose because: Edit: Broken Youtube Link

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Ahhhhhhhh......... MUSIC SOOTHES MY SOUL!!!!!!!!!!

If there is a rap song I connect with....so be it.

If there is a country song I connect with.....so be it.

If there is a jazz song I connect with.....so be it.

Thank God for MUSIC of all kinds....otherwise I would get soooooo bored with the same ole same ole.

RIP Tupac!

RIP BIGGIE!!

Love me some Lil Wayne, Too Short, Wiz, and so on and so on..... Love me some Rap....but not all of it. Just like not all Country and just like not all Rock!!!

May Rap Music Live on forever and ever!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Ha! And may I add....one day you may find me in the mosh pit and the next day at a cool rap show. Music of all kinds is cherished by me. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

DMX, Nelly (band aid face, totes original), Ja Rule (thought he was tupac), Lil' Jon (the guy who yells WHHAAATTT), 50 cent (spare change), The Game (really?)

You just listed a bunch of mainstream rappers...see your problem yet...no? I'll explain.
In case you haven't realized it yet, ALL mainstream music sucks. There are plenty of mainstream genres, not just boy bands. And any representation of a genre in the mainstream is going to suck out loud.
The most popular thing usually is terrible: most popular nominee for president, most popular musical artist, most popular store(Walmart), most popular rappers.
See the picture?
Don't blame the masses though, they are being led by a massive propaganda campaign(s).

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ
Ahhhhhhhh......... MUSIC SOOTHES MY SOUL!!!!!!!!!!

RIP Tupac!

RIP BIGGIE!!

Love me some Lil Wayne,
May Rap Music Live on forever and ever!

Lil Wayne's great, but not the crap played on the radio. Well, it's crap compared to the stuff not on the radio.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

I didn't read all of it, but I think you really really hate rap music... I like it because it rhymes...

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by OtlwJoseyWales

It doesn't matter if he's old enough to drink thats not the point of the video. The point is that the roach stands for "mainstream music" and he wanted to go mainstream because he was underground but wanted more recognition.
But when it happened he didn't like it hence why he spit it out. Now he realizes its to late to go back so he kills himself.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
there is still a TON of real stuff with substance out there. listen to these. they have meaning and were written with heart, not money in mind.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Lil Wayne's great, but not the crap played on the radio. Well, it's crap compared to the stuff not on the radio.
reply to post by Ghost375

No doubt!!!! I have no problems with satellite radio though. Much more range had there than the MS Radio.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I absolutely can't stand most all rap it just doesn't resonate with me at all on any level whatsoever. Same with Country as well on many levels. Just find it boring and tedious and the same on so many levels.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join