It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rap music is an absolute joke

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by sir_slide
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

reply to post by krossfyter

You are also right, although this is a rant about rap, there may be bad country music but that is only really offensive to peoples tastes, its not generally offensive. Do you see what I mean? It is the general dumbing down of the audience that pisses me off, you're right, and a big part of mainstream music culture is rap, its huge.
edit on 1-9-2011 by sir_slide because: (no reason given)

ok cool, got ya. thats another interesting thing... why has rap stuck in the mainstream like it has? rock ages ago had this power and now it is being expierenced in rap... although some say that that hype or freshness is wearing off now even if its still big with the youth (obviously most mainstream rap acts that are being pushed/hyped aren't really evolving the genera or doing anything different or creative with it, you would have to look in the underground for that).

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I hate all new music. as far as rap goes, my cut-off point is anything post-2000. dropping an album based around your earnings and spending of said earnings is a effing joke. and if you got something to say about it, watch out!! you might be a HATER!!!!! oh noes!!

seriously, in the future when people look back, how much will songs about driving expensive cars with tricked out rims and buying the priciest bottles at the club hold up artistically speaking?

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Like in all genres of music there is good and bad. It's seriously unfair to generalise and say all rap music is a joke. People have been watching too much MTV I reckon because that's where all the crap rap is played. I'd like too see the title of the thread changed to ''Commercial Rap music is an absolute joke''

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by technologicalsingularity

i totally agree, this is because most youth and 40 year olds that think their 16 and share their wardrobe with their sons have an attention span of 8 bars, to those rappers and their fans out there, translation:-

60bpm "must be a ballad or these drugs are giving me palpitations"
100bpm this is about 20 seconds
140bpm about 10 seconds "enough time for you to think, i like this song"
160bpm "too drugged to care"
rinse and repeat "otherwise ya might skip the track"

Even though i do music for a living, and i do go "fast"...what you're saying is true. It is so so so difficult to find any new original music out there. I have been doing this for 21 years now, i live music, i get paid for it, and it sucks most of times.

I'll never do rap/hip hop 'cause there IS nothing original out there. The sad fact is that our kids are lost innit!

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I can't stand rap. Since we're ranting, here's a quick list of reasons why:

1. The bass. I don't know if I'll ever get people fixation with bass. There is an entire spectrum of sound to enjoy. To basically worship the bass and ignore the treble doesn't make any sense to me.

2. Emphasis of lyrics over music. I prefer it the other way around; music is more important to me than words.

3. The poor quality of lyrics. Considering the afore-mentioned emphasis on the lyrics, it's ironic that they would be so bad. I mean this both grammatically and poetically.

4. Besides the poor quality of the lyrics, the actual subject matter is... not something that I want to listen to. People bragging about qualities that I don't respect in the first place? No thanks.

5. The "sampling" of songs that I grew up with. I know it's just my nostalgia talking, but it's beyond irritating to hear a song that I loved get mutilated...the horror of witnessing a 5-second snippet of a childhood song get ripped out, chopped up, and looped over and over, all while some narcissist goes on about a party or some girl shaking her ass or something... it's almost heart-breaking, honestly. You kids think I'm being a drama queen? Give it another 20 years and you'll see exactly what I mean.

Also, it's really NOT that difficult to come up with original music, especially the simple loops that rap songs use. Ask any musician.

6. Emphasis of a beat at the expense of a good melody. Between this and number 1, the actual MUSIC of a rap song often seems like an afterthought. Sometimes it even seems like they even forget to put music in most of the song, like with Black-Eyed Peas "boom boom pow".

7. The sound of the rapping itself is annoying to me; I'd much rather hear singing.

8. It's everywhere. Every other song has to "feature" some rapper nowadays. To give you an idea of how obnoxious this is, imagine every other song featuring some death metal vocalist. Would you like to hear cookie monster death growls on the radio all the time? That's how it feels for someone who dislikes rap.

So as you can see, it's really not likable to me on ANY level.

HOWEVER, that said... rap doesn't suck. I used to say that in high school, along with my "rocker" and "stoner" friends. But I don't anymore, because it's not true. The truth is that I just don't like it, and the reasons why are my personal preferences. To say otherwise is to state my opinion as fact, and that is something that I'm trying to grow out of..

edit on 15-9-2011 by thepixelgarden because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-9-2011 by thepixelgarden because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
"Excluding people like J5, dead prez, de la soul etc " what a # rant next time when you generalize a whole genre don't add stuff like excluding. Basically you are complaining about mainstream # tracks every genre has this problem, not just hip hop/rap. Although hip hop culture has been declining since the 90's, rap isn't gonna change

posted on Jun, 28 2023 @ 03:20 AM
link   
I don't think Rap - Hip hop music has turned into a monster and it needs to be shot down (BLAW BLAW!! (joke) ), though seriously, it is an absolute joke and people need to realize this. The more we champion hip hop 'artists' the more we degrade a rich musical culture that has developed since slave times, these guys spit on the graves of people like Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, Curtis Mayfield, Sam Cooke and James Brown (the guy who's drum beats appear in about 30 per cent of rap music ever made) when they parade about in their 'iced out' torso sized necklaces that 30 or more people were probably killed for during the mining of said diamonds and rhyming about shooting a brother down in street for looking at your car stereo, what an absolute F****** JOKE! The more we champion these idiots the more we degrade music to a point where mindless idiots can talk BS over some stolen music and be in the top 10 for it, making millions, sound familiar?

posted on Jan, 9 2024 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: sir_slide
I think perhaps Rap - Hip Hop music is not your taste, hence you consider it a joke. However, this is just my personal perspective, and I completely respect everyone's music preferences. Each genre brings unique experiences and emotions, and some people may find creativity and artistry in this genre that I have yet to understand.

top topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join