It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

X-37 Possibilities

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I know it is 10 years old, but it gives good insight on the X-37 project and what its purpose could be. With all the media and officials being hush and saying its just for testing, I tried looking for something old that could possibly leak a little info and give better understanding.

www.dtic.mil...

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Laxpla

these are so much fun, hopefully some folk will actually read before posting the tl;dr blues.

the misspelling of 'endorse' in the abstract through me, and i had to go back up to the title page to figure out what it was I was reading. this is a student paper from one of the service command and general staff colleges. a limited number of career soldiers are chosen each year to attend these schools, it's quite an honor, and a pivotal moment in the life of an officer. if his linkedIN is accurate, the then-major is now retired and working for Qwaltec on the NPP satellite project as the Deputy Mission Readiness Manager.

the death of the 'space as a sanctuary' doctrine's worth noting--if this really is the first time it's shown up--these guys are bad about sources sometimes. still, they've usually got a helluva reading list, so i'm inclined to accept it.

If the Air Force develops the X-37 to its full potential the system could strategically support each of the Air Forceís four space mission areas of force enhancement, space support, space control, and force application. Transition of the space maneuvering demonstrator into a space control platform will require a change in national policy.

well, there you have in 2001 (or whenever this was), all you need to know about what we americans have been doing in space for the last decade or so...

plus, there's just something about the passage towards the end where he makes the argument that treaties are only valid when signatories are at peace with one another, and that the united states feels that if something is not specifically prohibited it is permitted, and therefore we can weaponize space...

edit on 31-8-2011 by notionfreely because: changing seasons.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by notionfreely

Yup. America's true space program is not NASA. Its the US Air Force. NASA, in my opinion, is a smokescreen for the public, while the US Air Force does what it needs to do. US Air Force performs more launch missions than NASA and probably other space-program nations.

The X-37 is probably two steps behind a mass driver. It is an effective method for delivering supplies to orbit. Who knows the max capabilities for the X-37? Perhaps it can reach high orbit or, with more development, the moon.

That's just logistical functions an X-37 can perform. But force-wise, it can probably be used against many things. Imagine a squadron of these lifting off with a weapons payload. X-37s can take out satellites and return to get reloaded and do it again.

If X-37s can stay very long in orbit, they can be used as temporary orbit weapons platforms. At DefCon 2, US can place them in orbit and wait for ICBM launches and intercept them. Heck, you can probably deploy groups of 6 X-37s -- 1x sensor/tracking platform and 5x weapon platforms.

Skies, I mean, Orbits the limit.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
An unmanned spacecraft like this will most likely be used for the delivery of cargo. In the future, maybe also the transportation of material to and from other planets.

With no crew, the amount of force being applied to the ship is irrelevant. Humans can only withstand so much. An unmanned craft can take a whole lot more.

Plus you do not need life support systems or too much radiation shielding, keeping the weight down and allowing for more fuel.

edit on 1-9-2011 by allenidaho because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

What can you read into this? Granted it's a bit tabloid. Interesting though, eh?

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
First post here so please bear with me if I do not do something properly
I am adding this to this thread because at this point I cannot start my own thread. Sorry to the OP, but I think this might intrigue you.

I have been searching all of the known "X" planes, and have yet to find one that looks like this.... pardon the lack of imbed...

Two more seen here...

They do not look like "parts" of exsisting planes. They look to me to be complete units. With the black and white "tiling" on them, I have a feeling that these were designed for re-entry duty. Thoughts?

All 3 of these are in the Pima AZ Air Force "boneyard" for planes.

Thanks

Danno

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Those are Lockheed D-21B drones, code name TAGBOARD. It was a ramjet-powered, Mach 3 cruise, reconnaissance vehicle with a somewhat less than stellar operational record. There are a few on public display in U.S. museums and one in China.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowhawk

Ah! Thank you very much. I didn't even think about the SR71 piggyback when I saw them. I feel kinda dumb now...

Danno

join