It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISECG starts setting the roadmap for manned missions to Mars!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
www.space.com...

the International Space Exploration Coordination group met today in Japan to discuss how to go about the first manned missions to mars...

That strategy begins with fully utilizing the International Space Station, then aims to expand humanity's presence across the solar system over the next 25 years, leading ultimately to manned missions to Mars, project officials said. [Visions of the Future of Human Spaceflight]

first off that one is for everybody around here saying the ISS is on its way out, when actually there are plenty more Modules on the way..
en.wikipedia.org...

The Universal Docking Module (UDM) (Russian: Универсальный стыковочный модуль) was a planned Russian docking module for the International Space Station, to be jointly built by RKK Energia and Khrunichev. The original design resembled the Functional Cargo Block albeit larger, and would have it docked to the nadir (Earth-facing) Zvezda service module docking port, and have four docking ports to accommodate the two Russian Research Modules and the SO2 docking compartment. Because the SO2 and a Research Module were cancelled due to lack of funds, this module was also cancelled. The one remaining Research Module was then scheduled to be fitted to the open docking port on Zvezda. Later it was also cancelled and that port was allocated to the Docking Cargo Module. DCM scheduled location was later moved to Zarya.

Therefore, by 2015 the ISS RS will include 8 modules: FGB Zarya, SM Zvezda, MLM, MRM-1-CDM, MRM-2-DC2, NM, SPM-1 and SPM-2. The RS total mass would be 122 tonnes, the pressurized volume up to 400 m³, and a power capacity of 80 kW.

so the two theories being posed are use the moon as a staging point or man missions to the asteroid belt.. not sure exactly what the complications of each are, guess well wait and see when the official roadmap comes out, i thought the comment about the ISS was interesting especially since ive heard everybody and there grandma on this site tell me its going down cus its too difficult to maintain.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
25 years just to reach Mars? Seems like they aren't aiming very high, or planning on doing much anytime soon. I would think that in 25 years we could be aiming at the Jovian or Saturnian Moons.

I guess some progress is better than no progress.

new topics

join