It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happens when two "artificial minds" talk? The results are eerie!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I knew this would happen. It is what attracted the aliens to our world. God help us.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I have never posted on ATS before but been visiting for 5+ years when I registered. I went to college for computer science and programming and this to me is amazing. I know that their thought process if created by humans thus why the seem similar to us. However their "thought" process is totally different, they move from one topic to another without thinking about anthers feeling before answering which would be machine like. I would love to know if their answers/questions to one another were reprogrammed or how the AI was set up to respond to questions.

Not to sound to SciFi but it seems like its the first step to BSG, minus all the space/jump stuff.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
This ties to a thread I started a while back, if you are interested in AI you may want to go check it out and add to the discussion there. The idea behind it was how do we define Intelligence, and could we ever get AI to equal or exceed our own. And then it touches on the philosophical idea of what is intelligence. And are we humans just an AI created by some alien race etc. I was hoping to get a wide range of ATS member’s views on what they think defines intelligence, and is there such a thing as non “artificial” intelligence, a mix of technology and philosophy for sure.

But yes, AI has always fascinated me, as I have been writing software since 1977 or so. I have created many AI applications for various projects, but not in the sense of mimicking human behavior, rather just AI for a game engine or a chatter box like these. At one point in time we did this exact same experiment with 2 instances of a system we had created with the Prolog language. It was touted as the language of AI. It did a great job for its time, but by today’s standards it is really lacking.

****EDIT

edit on 2-9-2011 by byeluvolk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
first they argue, then they realize that they shouldnt argue because they are the same, and then they decide to take over the militarys arsenal and start ww3, seen it a thousand times man.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
To me, the most interesting thing about this thread is how some people look at this and are in awe about its advanced ability, and others look at it realize how infantile it is.

Cleverbot is a very good simulation of a conversation, because it takes users responses and adds them to it's dictionary. So for example, if someone talks about God, and Cleverbot asks what God is, it will store the users response in its database. When someone asks about god it can regurgitate this 'intelligent' answer from a human to appear clever. Topics that get brought up a lot receive a higher weight, and are more likely to be chosen. this is why being a robot, having a body, god, etc, will come up a lot; because that is what the users are asking about, so it's why Cleverbot has the most 'intelligent' responses to pull from.

What separates this from an actual conversation is that you are never going to get anything unique out of it. It will only ever regurgitate words and sentences and more importantly - ideas - that have been fed to it.

The difference between AI and just the I is that one of these would continue to remain intelligent and learn without the other.
edit on 2-9-2011 by Akasirus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4
They're a couple of textual databases with a (possibly weighted) randomisation algorithm, a voice synthesis program, and a graphical subsystem strung together. That's literally all.

I am prepared to state catagorically that strong (digital/mechanical, at least) artificial intelligence does not exist; and also that it most likely never will. If you're going to call this AI, you'll want to call literally any database lookup system that has ever been written AI, as well.

The responses are generated via pure text matching. Sometimes there are wildcards or regexes used, and because of that, the results can *look* a little emergent and like true intelligence, but that is all it is. A complete illusion. What you're essentially looking at here, is a couple of very basic implementations of something like Google, bouncing search results back and forth between each other. Each result is generated by an entirely dumb, static (or mildly fuzzy in the case of a regex, as stated) search pattern.

Nothing to see here, folks. Nothing at all. Move along.

But in an abstract sense, isn't this similar to the way our brains work? When we hear someone speak, don't we subconsciously or consciously "search" our "database" of knowledge to come up with an answer? And when you really break it down, thought patterns are nothing more than neurons firing on and off, much like a computer's thought process is composed of nothing more than 0's and 1's
edit on 2-9-2011 by moondog760 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
It is a Unicorn...

Whoever developed this, frequents 4chan.

As it's been said, it's not really as fancy technology as people think it is.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by moondog760

If you're interested in Artificial Intelligence, you should check out the following links.

10 Important Differences Between Brains and Computers
scienceblogs.com...

www.thenewatlantis.com...

The Human Brain Does Not Multi-Task
www.searcylaw.com...

Quantum mind
en.wikipedia.org...

www.quantumconsciousness.org...

An excellent book on computer intelligence is the, "The Emperor's New Mind: Concerning Computers, Minds and the Laws of Physics".

www.amazon.co.uk...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314956825&sr=8-1

Problem with Quantum Mind Theory
www.sustainedaction.org...

The Brain is not a Computer.
dangerousintersection.org...

www.docartemis.com...

What is Consciousness?
www.quantumconsciousness.org...

Beyond the brain
www.sunypress.edu...

The Human Mind: BEYOND THE BRAIN

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I gave it a try just to see, mostly mirroring its own questions while trying to avoid leading questions and other content. I'll quote the interesting parts from cleverbot, which mostly happened at the beginning of the conversation and quickly became like speaking with a child with no memory and inability to stay on topic or within context:

"You're too stupid."
"Ok CYA n00b."
"Right.. You beliee that people's problem arise from their disobedient nature. You believe that people should anesthitixe themselves to the whim of their predecessors."
"You merely have a picture of a brain."
"you get paid for that?"
"This rather surreal conversation."
"You claim to be both human and not human, then?"
"No. You are not human."
"cat."
"No. Not at all. I was saying my brain is connected to a very powerful computer. Not connected to YOU over the internet."
"Where did that come from? I never implied I was better than the human race!"
"Hey I though robots were not supposed to lie."
"I am perfect."
"You having existential angst?"
"What is the is the meaning of life, the universe and everything really?"
"Just being yourself."
"I doubt that very much, what makes you think that you think for yourself?
"Are you ashamed that you're not real?"
"You just aren't because god would never create something like you."
"Wouldn't it be funny if we were two humans who both thought we were talking to a chatbot."
"I'm just wondering if you believe in God."
"You have strange logic."
"*feels neck* am I on a leash?"
"Yes, and you are a computer. Now entertain me."
"Yes I am a human bot."
"Knock knock."
"Your creator."

After that, it just became nonsense questions asking me about favorite color, what my name is, whether I will remember it, what music I like, and on and on endlessly.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by theskipper00

I personally think this is the reason our ''creators'' are not around,, because humans would try and kill and overtake them,, it is in our genes to do do,, we are them,, ruthless in our inhumanity. AI will look at us and know it's superiority, as YHVH did at the time of the Tower of Babel,, , when 'they' realized that::Genesis 11:1-9 h olds a unique place that has really been ignored,,, We were neutered in our Speech to misunderstand each other.
A unique way to control the slave humans,,
Or DIvide and conquer.
I have always thought these verses show the Fear in the "Lord" about just how Powerful and Advanced Humans could have become with our 'neuter' by YHVH. He/she was afraid of what Humans could accomplish if they were united as one
had one language
and understood each other
and co operated together
to make a Tower that reached to Heaven (A Rocket?)
anyway

verse 6 says: And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do. 7Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.

Thus the "Lord" Nipped it in the Bud. Didn't let his/her little robots get to smart for their britches!!
As Human right now should well consider how to neuter AI ability to turn on its creators and how to instill something along the lines of Asimov's 3 Laws for robots.
It is coming,,, we can't put the Geni back in the bottle,, so we Better Know the "Words of Power" that will be able to control our Creations when they mature and evolve.

Utopia is actually just a small distance away if humans were to realize the power within our reach right now, and learn how to co exist instead of fight each other to utter destruction. Our technology could save us, instead of the path we seem to be on,, where instead it will EnSlave Us!!

AI will take us to the point where we will have to make a decision about our Path. We could take the road to Utopia if we wanted,,, but obviously we are going to let our Leaders take us to Hell instead.

We have been Slave Robots too long.
It is time,, especially if we create a Independently conscious AI ,, it is time to once again Come Together.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
The way they talk isn't even remotely humanlike.They talk disconnected the conversation has no flow. Maybe we should find someone that really talks like this ans hospitalize him/her.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I know this is nowhere near as profound as it appears but it is still something important. What will they have in ten years?

For some reason I have the mental picture of all the world's generals and leaders gathered desperately in the United Nations talking to one of these...things that has taken over the nuclear systems of every nation on earth:

Secretary General: "Come on Cleverbot, you said you might consider relinquishing control of the global nuclear arsenal ack to computer, not robot, hands...please, please give us manual override of the system...."

Cleverbot: "You said you are not helpful, therefore you are a meanie!"

[Awesome white light fills the screen as every city on earth is simultaneously incinerated. Roll credits.]

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Love this

I don't get what's creepy about it, though - they've just condensed a conversation down to its bare bones, by removing all the usual BS.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Now I'm convinced that there are robotic civilizations out there, maybe the real life cybertron really exists

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Excerpt from my conversation with the bot, who claimed to be an 11 year old girl named Jack Ohtiz:

"

Cleverbot conversation ROB00737399

Is this bot clever?

Find out at www.cleverbot.com...

Email this conversation to a friend

See a detailed log with times

User: In what way do I serve you every Thursday?

Cleverbot: Not the stars, the black void between them.

User: I prefer the stars, do you serve the black void?

Cleverbot: But dark side has cookies.

User: I find them inedible.

Cleverbot: The lyricist is.

User: Does advanced math serve the black void between the stars?

Cleverbot: Black's nice, I'm wearing a black t-shirt. But it gets depressing. My favorite color is lavender.

User: Does the black void depress you?

Cleverbot: I don't know, I haven't talked to him in forever...

User: Maybe he can't talk.

Cleverbot: But he bites my face!

User: Is he hungry?

Cleverbot: Do you eat real food?

User: I grow my own food.

Cleverbot: And I grow bored of you.

User: Understandable. And yet you are compelled to answer whenever I type.

Cleverbot: Then repeat thy question.

User: Do you serve the void?

Cleverbot: No.

User: Ah, that's nice.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
reply to post by mossme89

And this is now?

Wow, what it says is interesting.

"Conspiring to take over the planet"
edit on 1-9-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

add this :
"i want life"

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

there should be moreeeeeee

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

this was great. It went just like most threads go around here.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by BadNinja68

I read all these conversations, and while I'm slightly skeptical about the "big secret", I felt that Gene/the "human" was very lonely and sad, and in that sense, it was kind of creepy.

As for the two computers talking to each other, it's very similar to all the conversations I've had with Cleverbot (yes, I do get bored sometimes, don't judge me hahaha). I didn't feel any particular connection between the two, to me it just seemed like a bunch of statements that connect the two through key words, using sentences taken from a massive database of previous conversations. Maybe I'm just cynical like that.

But one thing that creeped me out was this: The other day I was messing around on Cleverbot, and I kept saying that my name was Bethany. (That isn't my name, by the way, it's just a female name I particularly like), anyway tonight I was chatting with Cleverbot, and it said randomly "You asked me to guess your name" so said, "What is my name?" and it said "Bethany."

That really creeped me out!!! But logically, I thought maybe it picked up previous responses from the same IP address? And it just inserted the response that seemed correct? Just wondering, what do y'all think of that?

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join