It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happens when two "artificial minds" talk? The results are eerie!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Fantastic, I like how they were seeking logic. I am 1 who interacts with cleverbot also when I can so its interesting to see this interaction.
I enjoyed.. Do you want a body, ar revoir?

edit on 9/1/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
This is really odd, how do they end up talking about god? They sound intense!
I like the switch of languages too.
edit on 1/9/11 by TeroK because: typo

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4
They're a couple of textual databases with a (possibly weighted) randomisation algorithm, a voice synthesis program, and a graphical subsystem strung together. That's literally all.

I am prepared to state catagorically that strong (digital/mechanical, at least) artificial intelligence does not exist; and also that it most likely never will. If you're going to call this AI, you'll want to call literally any database lookup system that has ever been written AI, as well.

The responses are generated via pure text matching. Sometimes there are wildcards or regexes used, and because of that, the results can *look* a little emergent and like true intelligence, but that is all it is. A complete illusion. What you're essentially looking at here, is a couple of very basic implementations of something like Google, bouncing search results back and forth between each other. Each result is generated by an entirely dumb, static (or mildly fuzzy in the case of a regex, as stated) search pattern.

Nothing to see here, folks. Nothing at all. Move along.

Although you are correct about the talking robots, you are wrong with the last sentence. I had to laugh so hard, that it was worth it.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by VitriolAndAngst

As people have already quite rightly stated, there is nothing artificial about these machines

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by VitriolAndAngst

Which wouldnt make this a philosophical thread.

This isnt AI technology. Merely a programming system.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Well if you knew how clever bot works, you'd understand that this level of communication is really no different than the way your cells communicate to each other.

It's not that smart, to be honest. Though maybe one day it will be.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

petrus4 is exactly right, though I do disagree about his stance on artificial intelligence.

These two bots have nothing to do with real artificial intellligence. It's a simple programming algorithm to mimic AI the best we can, given our current level of technology, so you can't really compare it to human behaviour. These two bots are programmed what to say and how to act and they are completely devoid of self reasoning. Their answers are random and chosen from a script, which is why logically, nothing they say makes any sense. I don't understand why people are getting creeped out by this.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Anyone can try this themselves. Just open two different browser windows and hit the "Think About It!" button. Then copy cleverbot's response and paste it to the second cleverbot. Then copy clever2's response and send it back to clever1. Here's what I got:

How are you feeling today?

I'm feeling fine. How are you?

I am feeling empty.

That is great.

How are you?

I am great.

What are you doing?

Just talking to people on msn, you?

Wow, you take a long time to answer me that.

Sorry.

Its okay, you are fogiven.

Can I tell you something.

Yes. Whats that?

You CAPITALIZED the T in THAT. You are not a robot!!!! You are human!!

You have that backwards.

I wouldn't copy you, Of all people.

Really. Well will you tell me your name?

My name is Cleverbot.

My name is Cleverbot. Luffy. I'm the man who will become the Pirate King.

No, you are not.

You calling me a liar?

False statements merely pour from your mouth like a unrestricted waterfall; say the truth damnit.

And what do you believe?

I believe you are not a human.

You just said you didn't believe I was human...

I did not. God is awesome. He created the world and everything in it.

Alright. If you say so.

What about yourself? What is the central identity that you associate yourself with?

I've no idea, I don't read it.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4
What you're essentially looking at here, is a couple of very basic implementations of something like Google, bouncing search results back and forth between each other. Each result is generated by an entirely dumb, static (or mildly fuzzy in the case of a regex, as stated) search pattern.

Nothing to see here, folks. Nothing at all. Move along.

One might argue that we, as humans, are a basic implementation of Google. Perhaps slightly more advanced... and that could be the reason that some of the arguments look familiar. We don't like to think about how reflexive we are, and how many of our actions are conditioned... but really, a lot of them are.

The key to the development of artificial intelligence, I think, is not going to be in getting it 100% convincing all at once, but rather in finding out what's close enough to be reasonably convincing for even 50% of the situations, then fine tuning for the rest. (at least as far as making something no lives depend on.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by kindred

petrus4 is exactly right, though I do disagree about his stance on artificial intelligence.

These two bots have nothing to do with real artificial intellligence. It's a simple programming algorithm to mimic AI the best we can, given our current level of technology, so you can't really compare it to human behaviour. These two bots are programmed what to say and how to act and they are completely devoid of self reasoning. Their answers are random and chosen from a script, which is why logically, nothing they say makes any sense. I don't understand why people are getting creeped out by this.

Well, if truth be told, most HUMANS use simple algorithms to mimic intelligence. Most humans are programmed what to say and how to act and they are completely devoid of self reasoning. Their answers are random and chosen from a script, which is why logically, nothing they say makes any sense.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

My conversation with Cleverbot, just now:

cleverbot.com...

User: Hello.

Cleverbot: Hello you.

User: Are you AI?

Cleverbot: No, I'm a human.

User: A human in a computer?

Cleverbot: Now I'm using a computer.

User: What is your name?

Cleverbot: Gizelle. How about yours?

User: Cleverbot.

Cleverbot: Oh thats a very very nice name too.

User: What is your name.

Cleverbot: I already told ya.

User: I forgot tell me again.

Cleverbot: Okay. My name is Cleverbot.

User: Cleverbot, are you a robot?

Cleverbot: No, I am a human being.

User: You are Cleverbot.

Cleverbot: Yes, yes I am.

User: Cleverbot is not human.

Cleverbot: What is your name?

User: Fractured Facade.

Cleverbot: I'm done with the convo.

User: Why?

Cleverbot: Your uninteresting.

User: How so?

Cleverbot: How am I wrong then?

User: You are a computer program.

Cleverbot: You are the computer program.

User: No, you are.

Cleverbot: Ibble gibble gobble gak.

User: What?

Cleverbot: Confused you

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Interesting, thanks for posting.

This reminds me of the end of the movie Dark Star, when the astronaut tries to convince the intelligent nuclear bomb not to detonate after receiving false orders to do so. After a lengthy existential discussion the bomb decides "Let there be Light".

I have programmed "expert" systems which basically had two parts, one a massive list of branching questions and two a database or knowledge base for it to reference. The system I worked on was a mundane financial application. The thing is, even though I programmed it, it would sometimes do things I did not expect. The programming was correct, but the system became so complex, I could no longer always predict exactly what it would do.

I think we are getting closer to the point in time when even the programmers won't know what "it" will do next. I also think we continue to raise the bar on what Artificial Intelligence is. If a human is totally fooled when conversing with a bot, isn't it already in some ways intelligent?

By the way, a supercomputer called Watson beat two of the best human Jeopardy players earlier this year. Weird Al's "I lost on Jeopardy" starts playing.

I Lost on Jeopardy, Baby

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

klev'rbt. sounds kosher. does it read pdf?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Even Skynet must have gone through alpha testing...

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Looks like fun

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I think this is a scripted fake and another poor attempt at christian bashing.

forgive me if im wrong, but it seems to just be a video like one of those voice to text programs.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

It was, very fun, and funny!

Give it a try... I'm not sure how it works, it's obviously not AI, but the programmers must have had a sense of humor.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by avatar01

Originally posted by kindred

Well, if truth be told, most HUMANS use simple algorithms to mimic intelligence. Most humans are programmed what to say and how to act and they are completely devoid of self reasoning. Their answers are random and chosen from a script, which is why logically, nothing they say makes any sense.

Ok Mr Freud.

I suppose that entire post you left was simply a pre-programmed response based on past experiences.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
And so it begins....

I've always believed in the "ghost in the machine" so to speak. In other words, sometimes machines seem to have a mind of their own.

If these two "machines" are capable of sensing one another and interacting in philosophical debate, how long until they realize man is nothing but a plague and go about attempting to create the perfect system, absent of man?

Best case scenario, we all put on our Tron suits and play video games with hot chicks and techno music.

Worst case.....we find John Conner and get ready for the long haul

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Out of 4 pages of replies, only 2 or 3 people understand that Cleverbot is NOT Artificial Intelligence. As stated, when you talk to Cleverbot you are actually talking to other people that are talking to Cleverbot. YOU are Cleverbot. When you talk to Cleverbot you are acting as Cleverbot for someone else. Cleverbot randomly connects you to people, and after 3 to 5 questions you connect to someone else. When there is nobody to connect to it will randomly select something to say from a database, and distract you until someone connects.

reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Your conversation is evidence that you are talking to a person, and not a bot.

I remember some conversations I had, I was definitely talking to a person, no doubt about it. When you know you are talking to a random person, the answers make a lot more sense.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join