It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happens when two "artificial minds" talk? The results are eerie!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by antoinemarionette
Our conversation went like this:

Q:What is the nature of personal reality?
A:Illusion. The nature of reality is illusion.
Q:Is illusion our only resource?
A:Right now it is warm. About 20 celsius.
Q:There is human warmth as well as heat.
A:No- we're both people?

What do you think?

Sounds like either you are talking to the average "response bot" on the web, or you visited FreeRepublic.com -- it's hard to say.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I, for one, welcome our new Skynet Overlords!

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Just like an old married couple.

He argues and she changes the subject.

I hope I never have an AI wife. Then for sure she'll know everything and could argue her point with logic at a billionth of a second with the entire knowledge of humanity at her disposal...scary.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
You guys do know that Cleverbot isn't really a bot...right?

That website connects two random people...they both think they are talking to a machine...and it randomly connects you to a different person at random times. That is why you get random topic changes. I think they have some automated responses coded in...but most of the time you are talking to a person.

Of course they don't admit this...but it is obvious to see. Go play on cleverbot for awhile...you will quickly see you are talking to another person.

I thought this was common knowledge.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
You guys do know that Cleverbot isn't really a bot...right?

That website connects two random people...they both think they are talking to a machine...and it randomly connects you to a different person at random times. That is why you get random topic changes. I think they have some automated responses coded in...but most of the time you are talking to a person.

Of course they don't admit this...but it is obvious to see. Go play on cleverbot for awhile...you will quickly see you are talking to another person.

I thought this was common knowledge.

I'm not so sure on that...but maybe.

From the site:

cleverbot.com...

PLEASE NOTE: Cleverbot learns from real people - things it says may seem inappropriate - use with discretion, and at YOUR OWN RISK

PARENTAL ADVICE: Visitors never talk to a human, however convincing it is - the AI knows many topics - use ONLY WITH OVERSIGHT

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by TerryMcGuire
This and the video you offer kinda makes one wonder just how much of human thought and behavior is really conscious after all.

This is a very interesting point. Many have mentioned the program is not complex. Could it be that at root we, too, are not as complex as we'd like to believe?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
reply to post by petrus4

Phew! Because I was getting a little freaked out by it. Thanks for that technical analysis.

www.alicebot.org...

The bots shown here possibly use slightly different code, but it's exactly the same principle involved.

You've got an XML database with stored query/response pairs. So if you type, "How are you?" The system will recognise "How are you*" (the star tells it to match, regardless of what comes after it) and then simply print whatever stored reply it has to the question.

The only real reason why these ever appear to look intelligent, is because generally any one question (such as how are you, as a good example) will tend to have anywhere up to half a dozen canned responses stored in the database. As mentioned, a randomness algorithm decides which one gets printed, and if you really want to get fancy, each of the five or so answers can have a numerical weight attached, as well; which decides the likelihood of a given answer being chosen. The use of a numerical weight, however, is as close to an emulation of real/human intelligence as it gets...and that really isn't very close at all.

An expert system with dynamic data input could be a lot more interesting in theory, but you open a very, very large can of worms when trying to implement such a thing in practice. The truth is that computers simply do not handle novelty well; a computer at a base level is not designed to process complex logic. Decision making is not what a computer is for, although most people don't know that.

In terms of the human/computer relationship, dealing with novelty/inconsistent input is actually our job; although truth be told, even we aren't necessarily all that much better at it.
edit on 31-8-2011 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

This is a very interesting point. Many have mentioned the program is not complex. Could it be that at root we, too, are not as complex as we'd like to believe?
Or as simple.

We do seem to be a collection of simple associations strung out across our neural pathways with some form of organizational hierarchies.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Omg that is so bizzare and eerie.. It just creeped me out to the bejeezies! Imagine a world where these "artificial minds" become a great deal in the future and how it will affect...everything! :O S&F

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by rabbitstone
Omg that is so bizzare and eerie.. It just creeped me out to the bejeezies! Imagine a world where these "artificial minds" become a great deal in the future and how it will affect...everything! :O S&F

Yes. A world where AIML chat bots are considered the yardstick of intelligence, is a horrifying prospect indeed.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I wonder if they believe they are the product of a creator or evolution,('
')
edit on 1-9-2011 by deepred because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by homeslice
Ha,
Sounds like some of the arguments people have here on ATS.

Lol
Kinda makes you wonder...doesn't it?
Akushla

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   

It's like listening to some of the discussions on ATS

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Sounds like 2 trolls arguing in one of those 'random chat' type websites.

Seems to be scripted as satire, imo.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
From the replies, I have come to the conclusion that these AI may be too A and not enough I. This thread does bring up a very interesting question that I havven't given much thought before; If two AI could communicate with one another (assuming we perfected robots to an extent), what would they talk about and what conclusions would they come to, if any?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppyyy

sorry for the one liner but dang there is nothing else to say.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Just like 'Parliament Question Time' here in Oz...........woeful

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4
They're a couple of textual databases with a (possibly weighted) randomisation algorithm, a voice synthesis program, and a graphical subsystem strung together. That's literally all.

I am prepared to state catagorically that strong (digital/mechanical, at least) artificial intelligence does not exist; and also that it most likely never will. If you're going to call this AI, you'll want to call literally any database lookup system that has ever been written AI, as well.

The responses are generated via pure text matching. Sometimes there are wildcards or regexes used, and because of that, the results can *look* a little emergent and like true intelligence, but that is all it is. A complete illusion. What you're essentially looking at here, is a couple of very basic implementations of something like Google, bouncing search results back and forth between each other. Each result is generated by an entirely dumb, static (or mildly fuzzy in the case of a regex, as stated) search pattern.

Nothing to see here, folks. Nothing at all. Move along.

This may have been very simplistic but don't be too hasty to dismiss "lookups" as not being part of AI. Human beings do it all the time. Have you ever driven in your car and ended up on the wrong road (for the particular trip) but entirely correct for the normal trip. Like going to work at the weekend when you meant to go to the shop. Or , in my case, taking my kids directly to work instead of the detour to the nursery. Your brain is on auto pilot using a "lookup" to drive, entirely subconcious.

AI of the future will be a combination of "life experiences" ie "lookups" and when the number of "lookups" is sufficently complex the result may seem like free will. Now that that philosophical cat is out of the bag I'll get back to my programming. This is why solutions to problems (and innovation) are better solved by being distracted instead of concentrating on the subject. The so called eureka moment.

Just to calm people down about free will : Since every individuals life experiences are different and massively so and that coupled with emotional response (chemical differences in the brain) any decisions made, conclusions, solutions etc are practically guranteed to be uniquely arrived at. It may be the same conclusion as somebody else but it was arrived at using a different mix of experiences, hence free will ;-)

Artificial AI will do exactly the same one day.....soon.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

That's got to be a hoax whereby their responses were preprogrammed, I can't believe that happened like that ah "naturally", no way.. ?
true. how did the guy know the girl should have no problem with memory or does cleverbot assume everyone is a machine.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4

Nothing to see here, folks. Nothing at all. Move along.

DUDE!

WE know what cleverbot is. If you came here looking for commander data arguing with himself about theories and what not, then move along. sure.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join