It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Faces Life In Jail For Recording Police

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
This is absolutely pure utter madness that you can't record anything if you desire it. What is our country coming to? Oblivion and imprisonment that is what. And I see no future Presidents running to help us at all from this unlawful abandonment and chaos.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Hawkiye there should be multi millions protesting what is going on in this country, but what we've got is the Tea Party, with Janet Napolitano calling us right wing extremists and with half the people here believing her lies. Don't you see how that works? All they have to do is minimize the protesters and call them fanatics, or just not cover them in the media.
POTUS literally said he was not aware of the 1 million Tea Partiers protesting in DC. He was not even in town at the time. See how that works? He knew the Tea Party was there but he was trying to minimize is.
This admin is doing a lot of things that the Left said they hated and yet it is the Tea Party who is villified. People are waking up but the NWO has the edge. They've been planning all this for decades.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by BadNinja68

Originally posted by areyouserious2010
Not true. The vast majority of police do their jobs properly everyday, hundreds of thousands of times over, you just only hear about the incidents that go wrong or are suspected police corruption.

Untrue.
There are corrupt cops, and cops who ignore the corrupt cops.

anther FYI:

99% of the cops out there have a less than rudimentary grasp of the laws they are paid to uphold.
How can you realistically enforce laws you don't even know or understand without violating innocent peoples rights?

Cops are undereducated, untertrained and, underpaid. This makes some of them a dangerous liability IMHO.

I say pay all cops 100K a year to start.. but require them to pass a watered down version of their state's bar exam first.

This statement made me smile...I have a Bachelor's degree, Im probably overpaid for being a cop, and I have a very good understanding of the laws I enforce...when I don't...I call the S/A's Office...and they tell me how they want to proceed....It is very simple actually. Honestly man....I know of a single corrupt cop and he was fired immediately. Im not saying there are some "good ol boy" systems out there where they watch each others back on anything, but it is not as bad as you are making it seem. Cops aren't all bad brother. Honestly its the laws that are whacked. There are too many laws broken into too many categories. I do more paperwork on a DUI arrest than a sexual assault case...why is that? Cause some stupid ass law maker made a series of steps that you have to do during a DUI arrest which is total bull#. But its a job man...I have to enforce laws I don't agree with it...that doesnt make me corrupt or brain washed....think of everything you do in the job you have that you don't want to do...it's part of the job!

edit on 1-9-2011 by cosmicexplorer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by KilrathiLG
reply to post by cosmicexplorer

yes they are often arrested but currently no one has been convicted of the wiretapping charges in question they all either took deals or had charges dropped and several sources in this short threat can confirm that for you,in addtion several other high profile cases of people filming police have all ended with charges being dopped and in some cases sucessfull lawsuits against departments

I wouldn't know on that either way and you are probably right.....but most felonies are dropped to misdemeanor offenses....but its still a law....

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by cosmicexplorer
law.justia.com...

Here is about everything I can find at the moment in one link of the Illinois laws on audio recording....read them..and you will understand whats going on. I really think this law was established for other reasons, however it exists.

Let me explain something else about IL, if you get into a bar fight...that is felony aggravated battery charge. Did you know that? However cops and S/A's or D/A's rarely charge the felony route often just making it a battery. However the law is there as a tool to be used certain ways in certain situations. For whatever reason they are hitting this guy hard..and I have a feeling there is more going on here than what we know...they are hitting him with the max for a reason...idk why.

If there is a law about recording people in general without their consent, that is what I think may be at the root of it, and the police can take advantage of it to keep the public from giving them problems when they are trying to present cases. They protect their own right:? So if they do that and someone comes up with evidence...people get in trouble.
What if the law was put in place after all these cameras went in everywhere and no one had any recourse. Who is there to protect the civilian? Seems we get messed with either way.
There are lots of books around discussing privacy and the Internet and so on.
edit on 1-9-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

thats the good thats gonan come out of thsi case it will be ruled illegal and unconstitutional by this mans brave stand and hopefully when he is victorious stuff like this will be illegal for cops to hide behind illegal and unjust laws

right well if they change the law cause of this case that will be awesome...then all the cops will have one less dumb law to worry about and can get on with more important things...cops arent hiding behind this haha....ive seen people video and audio record us only to have it be submitted into evidence to show we did the right thing!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

you are correct its the audio thats the main thing in question but the problem is he was denied a court reporter to document his court case so he decided to record the court procedings becuase none were provided for him that is the "officer he was filming" was a prosecutor,and in refrence to some one elses point on this page in the op's video journalists are exempt from this law as long as they are at a public hearing or in the course of doing there job (from op's video)

right i understand what your saying and I agree....but he should have went through his attorney or something.....I have a feeling everything in the end will work out for this guy....and just one more thing...if I remember right this was in Cook county...Cook county handles stuff very very different than the rest of the state haha...that is for sure.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
America has been dead for a long long time. We are now in the transition phase to a military state. It's not hard to see.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
At least the justices in Mass. are getting it right.

Videotaping police in the course of their duties is "unambiguously" a free speech right protected under the First Amendment, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 1st Circuit held in a recent decision.

"Changes in technology and society have made the lines between private citizen and journalist exceedingly difficult to draw," they wrote. "The proliferation of electronic devices with video-recording capability means that many of our images of current events come from bystanders with a ready cell phone."

perhaps the other states will catch on as well.

www.dailybusinessreview.com...
edit on 1-9-2011 by Gutterpus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus

law.justia.com...

Here is about everything I can find at the moment in one link of the Illinois laws on audio recording....read them..and you will understand whats going on. I really think this law was established for other reasons, however it exists.

Let me explain something else about IL, if you get into a bar fight...that is felony aggravated battery charge. Did you know that? However cops and S/A's or D/A's rarely charge the felony route often just making it a battery. However the law is there as a tool to be used certain ways in certain situations. For whatever reason they are hitting this guy hard..and I have a feeling there is more going on here than what we know...they are hitting him with the max for a reason...idk why.

If there is a law about recording people in general without their consent, that is what I think may be at the root of it, and the police can take advantage of it to keep the public from giving them problems when they are trying to present cases. They protect their own right:? So if they do that and someone comes up with evidence...people get in trouble.
What if the law was in put in place after all these cameras went in everywhere and no one had any recourse. Who is there to protect the civilian? Seems we get messed with either way.
There are lots of books around discussing privacy and the Internet and so on.

We do not protect our own if they are breaking the law...god no....If I saw another officer I worked with using excessive force I would stop him...and I believe the majority would stop them immediately or at the very least report it after. Idk maybe I work in an amazing department or something but I could never imagine this going on widespread.

I think alot of the issue to is the recent times....the laws are so far behind current technology...nowadays everyone can record anything....cell phones have made the job nonstop...we get about 10 traffic complaints a day cause someone wants to call in that the guy in front of them didn't use his turn signal or is moving all over the road....this is ok but tech has moved faster than budgets and training have allowed.

Some day when the law are caught up you will probably see this issue become a non issue and something new start to develop.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Thanks for your input on this. I'm sure that cops have to enforce even laws they disagree with. I would say that comes with the territory.

I don't envy your job really. I believe for the most part cops are good guys with a badge. Do you feel that the State ever oversteps its bounds and the cops have to go according to the State?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
you also have to realize that you arent just audio recording the police....you are audio recording suspects/witness statements/victims....imagine a victim of a sexual assault stating something personal that was audio recorded and later posted online...i think that could be a devastating thing for a victim to go through. these laws arent just for the cops, but for everyone involved.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Not true. The vast majority of police do their jobs properly everyday, hundreds of thousands of times over, you just only hear about the incidents that go wrong or are suspected police corruption.

Untrue.

anther FYI:

99% of the cops out there have a less than rudimentary grasp of the laws they are paid to uphold.
How can you realistically enforce laws you don't even know or understand without violating innocent peoples rights?

Cops are undereducated, untertrained and, underpaid. This makes some of them a dangerous liability IMHO.

I say pay all cops 100K a year to start.. but require them to pass a watered down version of their state's bar exam first.

This statement made me smile...I have a Bachelor's degree, Im probably overpaid for being a cop, and I have a very good understanding of the laws I enforce...when I don't...I call the S/A's Office...and they tell me how they want to proceed....It is very simple actually. Honestly man....I know of a single corrupt cop and he was fired immediately. Im not saying there are some "good ol boy" systems out there where they watch each others back on anything, but it is not as bad as you are making it seem. Cops aren't all bad brother. Honestly its the laws that are whacked. There are too many laws broken into too many categories. I do more paperwork on a DUI arrest than a sexual assault case...why is that? Cause some stupid ass law maker made a series of steps that you have to do during a DUI arrest which is total bull#. But its a job man...I have to enforce laws I don't agree with it...that doesnt make me corrupt or brain washed....think of everything you do in the job you have that you don't want to do...it's part of the job!

Your job is to protect and serve this nation. Your loyalty is to the Constitution which you took an oath to protect and the people of The United States. You are given the powers that you have by the citizens of this nation not the politians and not your boss. We the people pay your salary and we the people are your boss. You are a PUBLIC SERVANT... and this story is sickening. Its unconstitutional, unamerican and goes against everything our founding fathers fought for. This case should be thrown out of court as a complete joke. Government is protected by the patriot act. Guess what? WE THE PEOPLE ARE THE GOVERNMENT!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

im personaly unaware of how cook countie runs as i dont live there but any personal insight in how it compares to the rest of the state would be appreciated just for the general knowledge of your insight in to the matterand just out of general curiosity what are the usual reasons there arent court reporters for a case and if this were to happen to any of us in a court case what would be the official channel to go through to request one before proceeding or how would we present that matter to the judge with out offending them or hurting our hypothetical case just curious is all

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by e11888

Untrue.

anther FYI:

Your job is to protect and serve this nation. Your loyalty is to the Constitution which you took an oath to protect and the people of The United States. You are given the powers that you have by the citizens of this nation not the politians and not your boss. We the people pay your salary and we the people are your boss. You are a PUBLIC SERVANT... and this story is sickening. Its unconstitutional, unamerican and goes against everything our founding fathers fought for. This case should be thrown out of court as a complete joke. Government is protected by the patriot act. Guess what? WE THE PEOPLE ARE THE GOVERNMENT!

Ok well let me help ya here...first off.....it is not a police officer's job to interpret the constitution on that minute of a scale...there are constitutional lawyers that dedicate years of study to issues like this. I wish I could just do what I want on the street...no more seat belt tickets for anyone! But seriously...I also pay taxes too....so i have just as much say as you do as a citizen and for my portion of my tax dollars I say I disagree with you...and in fact....I can actually be fired If I post something negative or immoral on facebook or online or in public...can you? I actually have less rights that the average citizen...but im ok with that...I volunteered for this job and if I don't like those rules I can quit.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Ha too much Hollywood for me right?

....so i have just as much say as you do as a citizen and for my portion of my tax dollars I say I disagree with you...and in fact....I can actually be fired If I post something negative or immoral on facebook or online or in public

Yep, sure! Anyone can get fired by anyone if their boss looks at their fb page. I heard a story about an Oregon Mayor who was fired after she posted a pic of herself in a swimsuit. Figure that out. Must have been a jealous woman who complained. I heard that story probably in 07 or 08 in a career class and they told us when looking for jobs its better to disable your social networking pages. It may have been mySpace though, because I hadn't heard about fb yet when I heard about it. So this is where I'm coming from when I talk about how electronic media can complicate things.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

im personaly unaware of how cook countie runs as i dont live there but any personal insight in how it compares to the rest of the state would be appreciated just for the general knowledge of your insight in to the matterand just out of general curiosity what are the usual reasons there arent court reporters for a case and if this were to happen to any of us in a court case what would be the official channel to go through to request one before proceeding or how would we present that matter to the judge with out offending them or hurting our hypothetical case just curious is all

I honestly have never heard of there not being court reporters...there may be something there that is fishy or this may something that is very normal...but the courthouse isn't my realm...all i am defending is that the arrest would appear to be legal from the police point of view....I agree id damn sure want everything recorded by a court reporter...I wish I knew more about that realm...

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus

Ha too much Hollywood for me right?

haha sorry to answer your above question...I think most jurisdictions play it safe....listen to this...and I hate saying this to the public...it used to be a felony to attack a police officer...just throw a punch and connect or push a cop and you got a class 4 felony...I agree with this...remember I have family and friends that I owe to them to stay alive. Recently the law changed where now...if you throw a punch at me its just a misdemeanor...you have to actually hurt the officer for it to be a felony....this basically gives all suspects a free shot at us. Tell me that aint messed up? you have to physically hurt me before its a felony. So I would say most things are fair...alot of stuff is on the safe side which benefits the public more than the police but there are few things that come up that are controversial.

I also want to add that this may not apply in your state for all I know

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

This statement made me smile...I have a Bachelor's degree, Im probably overpaid for being a cop, and I have a very good understanding of the laws I enforce...

This statement made me smile. So you have a degree in propaganda from some government funded re-educatation... er ah university... And you still enforce unconstitutional laws on people who have not harmed anyone... Sigh!

Honestly man....I know of a single corrupt cop and he was fired immediately. Im not saying there are some "good ol boy" systems out there where they watch each others back on anything, but it is not as bad as you are making it seem.

So you think your personal bubble is an accurate portrayal of what goes on around the state and country and not the other way around?

But its a job man...I have to enforce laws I don't agree with it...that doesnt make me corrupt or brain washed....think of everything you do in the job you have that you don't want to do...it's part of the job!

Yes it does make you corrupt and brain washed for you to justify harming and violating the rights of people who have harmed no one just because some group of legislators and prosecutors say so. By your logic the the Nazi death camp guards were justified since after all they were just doing their jobs. Yes I am comparing police to nazi death camp guards because it is the same principle at work here. You must be brain washed to enforce laws you know are wrong and harm people. But I guess the money is to good for you to live up to what you claim are your higher principles. You would have arrested this gentleman for wielding a camera for god sake and watch him face life in prison and say hey I don't like it but it's the law and I have to enforce it no matter who it harms... Not corrupt or brain washed?... Take a good hard look my friend! You are responsible for your actions and the job you choose to do regardless. The nazi death camp guards probably would have been killed had the refused to do thier job. All you have to do is quit yours to stop harming people while pretending to yourself you are not responsible. Tyranny is enabled by those who enforce it. The enforcer is just as guilty as those who decree it!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye

This statement made me smile...I have a Bachelor's degree, Im probably overpaid for being a cop, and I have a very good understanding of the laws I enforce...

This statement made me smile. So you have a degree in propaganda from some government funded re-educatation... er ah university... And you still enforce unconstitutional laws on people who have not harmed anyone... Sigh!

Honestly man....I know of a single corrupt cop and he was fired immediately. Im not saying there are some "good ol boy" systems out there where they watch each others back on anything, but it is not as bad as you are making it seem.

So you think your personal bubble is an accurate portrayal of what goes on around the state and country and not the other way around?

But its a job man...I have to enforce laws I don't agree with it...that doesnt make me corrupt or brain washed....think of everything you do in the job you have that you don't want to do...it's part of the job!

Yes it does make you corrupt and brain washed for you to justify harming and violating the rights of people who have harmed no one just because some group of legislators and prosecutors say so. By your logic the the Nazi death camp guards were justified since after all they were just doing their jobs. Yes I am comparing police to nazi death camp guards because it is the same principle at work here. You must be brain washed to enforce laws you know are wrong and harm people. But I guess the money is to good for you to live up to what you claim are your higher principles. You would have arrested this gentleman for wielding a camera for god sake and watch him face life in prison and say hey I don't like it but it's the law and I have to enforce it no matter who it harms... Not corrupt or brain washed?... Take a good hard look my friend! You are responsible for your actions and the job you choose to do regardless. The nazi death camp guards probably would have been killed had the refused to do thier job. All you have to do is quit yours to stop harming people while pretending to yourself you are not responsible. Tyranny is enabled by those who enforce it. The enforcer is just as guilty as those who decree it!

Jesus lol..nothing I say will please you...fine lets do this...get rid of all authority....im ok with that....call me afterwards when you change your mind.

edit: and im curious what your experience in law is? or your education?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join