It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Faces Life In Jail For Recording Police

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
This has been on my mind since I started hearing about people being arrested for videotaping:

The last time I checked, there is NO EXPECTATION OF PRIVACY IN A PUBLIC PLACE. PERIOD.

edit on 9/1/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   

I am honestly worried for America as is much of the World. Because if you fall, we all fall. But if you stand up...we all stand with you.
reply to post by jude11

No, it's not really like that. At all. However, the more the merrier and all that.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
If the police have nothing to hide then they should have nothing to fear.

This is what they tell the people all the time when justifying new surveillance methods.

They have apparently forgotten that turnabout is fair play.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
LOL at americans! Land of the...Slaves!
Pay your taxes, save money in the bank, support your terrorist army, and first of all: don't disturb the gov and the police! kkkkkkk

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Morg234

well it could be like that...all of us at one.i want to take a stand but i don't see a line....

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Any more updates on this case?

Seems kinda one sides it is oks for Police Officers to video/audio record citizens without their consent, but it is not okay if this reversed? Something seriously wrong with the Laws In The USA that is for sure.

I do wonder how long it will be before the UK Police Authorities follow suit.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Yeah yeah, another person goes down for bogus charges, yet people don't do anything about it. Might as well go stand in a corner and bash your heads into the wall, cause that is all you're really accomplishing.

I actually live in Illinois and the police here are complete assholes. They speed around town and don't obey the laws that they impose. Best believe if you talk in a bad tone or anything to the bastards they will hit you with a bunch of charges and bully you around. Is that really how police should be acting, do the police actually think this is acceptable behavior?

How the hell are us citizens supposed to protect ourselves when the cops run around like hoodlums and break the law all the time. If you call them out for it, you won't get anywhere cause the entire system thinks they're better than citizens. Video tape them breaking laws? You end up in prison, so honestly what the hell is stopping these crooks from running around beating the # out of people and stealing there stuff? The answer is NOTHING!

The police in Illinois do whatever they want and the people accept it cause we're absolutely hopeless. You can't fight the system here all you can do is obey obey obey and sit down shut up, cause anything you do is gonna get you in trouble. I'm so sick of this #.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by lifeinthematrix
LOL at americans! Land of the...Slaves!
Pay your taxes, save money in the bank, support your terrorist army, and first of all: don't disturb the gov and the police! kkkkkkk

So sad, yet 100% true.

The really sad part is that us citizens will never do anything about it.

Half of the population do nothing but work and play video games, while the other half are watching the television. We're so addicted to entertainment and to scared to do anything "real" about it.

So keep on America, keep on playing that stupid game and watching that stupid show! Don't worry about anything that goes on outside. When the police show up just assume the position for your daily probing. Then after that go suck on a high fructose bar and turn on big brother to help you cope.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
If the police have nothing to hide then they should have nothing to fear.

Prosecuting people for recording is a waste of time and public money.

Did you know that after the Rodney King incident, The court ORDERED the LAPD to install cameras in their cars.
To this very day, they do not have any.. ANY cameras.. IN ANY LAPD CARS.
They do have a ton of excuses though....

San Diego PD had.. HAD and internal anti corruption task force.. they disbanded it due to corruption..
It's par for the course in CA.

If a cop isnt corrupt, he damn well knows a cop that is, and allows it to happen.

I lost most of my respect for the badge right after all the cops wearing them lost theirs.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Once again as i mentioned...its not the VIDEO recording that is illegal...its AUDIO....it amazes me how people keep ignoring this. The law is as stupid as wearing seatbelts..but its a law...if you want to record cops make sure you arent recording audio.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

You took great pains in your post to try and hide it however it is obvious you are trying to justify this BS!

Justification is a determination made by the individual. I merely provided the cause, effect and reasoning. In fact, I said numerous time that charging someone with wiretapping or eavesdropping for videotaping police is wrong. So in my opinion, the charges against the man, eventhough caused by what I stated, are not justified.

The hundreds of videos you claim are cut or out of context is also BS.

Incorrect. There are hundreds posted just on this website that are cut or taken out of context only showing the police officer's use of force and not what precipitated it.

Even if what you said was true charging a man with 5 felony counts totalling 75 years is hardly and appropriate response.

I agree with you. But the problem is two fold. In addition to stopping the prosecution of individuals for videotaping the police conducting official business, people need to take the individual responsibility of not posting shoddy video and labeling it police brutality as well as taking the individual responsibility of not making a knee jerk reaction to said shoddy video.

And lets face it the vast majority of things police do is to harass, extort, imprison, and even kill honest citizens over victimless crimes where they were harming no one.

Not true. The vast majority of police do their jobs properly everyday, hundreds of thousands of times over, you just only hear about the incidents that go wrong or are suspected police corruption.

Even the guys who think they are doing the right thing participate in extortion and intimidation everyday of people who are harming no one.

If you are referring to a certain law that you disagree with, and I am going to guess it is the drug laws, then you need to be angry with your state and federal legislature. Victimless crimes are crimes because the legislature voted them into law not because the police simply made it up as they went along. And you and your neighbors voted (or chose not to vote) your representatives into their cushy jobs. The police are not to blame for bad laws. The police simply have a duty to enforce all laws whether they agree with them or not.

I am glad to see the growing videos of police and their well deserved bad reputation, we would do well without them!

Also, very very very incorrect. The police perform a service. That service is what keeps many criminals from committing crimes. Let me show you what happens when there are no police.
Baltimore Police Strike

The city was not a safe place during this time, looting was occurring in the commercial district; fires ran 150% above normal. Within the first two days of the strike at least 200 stores were looted. Areas where tensions existed only grew worse, an eleven year old girl was shot as she sat outside her house by a man driving down the street firing randomly.[5]

Boston Police Strike

Over the night of September 9–10, the city witnessed an outbreak of hooliganism and looting. Some was just rowdy behavior that scared respectable citizens, throwing rocks at streetcars and overturning the carts of street vendors. More overtly criminal activity included the smashing of store windows and looting the displays.

Violence peaked the next evening, the night of September 10–11. Businesses were better prepared. Some had boarded up and others stayed open all night with armed guards visible to discourage any thoughts of taking advantage of the absence of peace officers. Gamblers played dice in open view and women had their handbags snatched. But the Guard proved inexperienced at handling crowds and quick to assert control without regard for loss of life. Gunfire in South Boston left two dead and others wounded. Scollay Square, a center of amusement halls and theaters, was reportedly the scene of a riot where one died.[19] Whether the crowds were threatening property or making trouble because they were in sympathy with the strikers is unknown. The death total ultimately reached nine.[17]

edit on 1-9-2011 by areyouserious2010 because: fix

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Ha`la`tha

Aww poor mr plod. An UNFAIR atmos.

Maybe we should all wear woollen jump suits, so that way when they have to deal with us, they wont hurt their widdle fingers ...

The unfair atmosphere I was referring to was the fact that an officer can do his or her job correctly and completely within the law, department policy and reason and STILL be labeled a fascist, corrupt cop, pig, juicer, their actions labeled police brutality and people will lobby for an uprising or violence against them.

But you can still wear a wool jumpsuit if you want. It will look silly and that makes me laugh.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
The revolt is near. The line was crossed a long time ago. It won't be long before the Americans stand up. Once they do, plenty of scumbags will be hanging in town square. I don't just mean crooked officers, but anyone in a position of power who participated in the oppression of the citizens and were instrumental in allowing our society to get to where it is now such as politicians, bankers, scientists and doctors who practice eugenics, it's a long list but they all deserve to hang for the suffering they helped create.

I would proudly watch while these bastards hang too. I don't care how harsh it sounds, but it would bring me unmeasurable amounts of hapiness to see this happen worldwide!
edit on 1-9-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

We don't need violence we need a Revolution in Ideas and the way we think. Drop the material aspects of life and go back to family values that make us strong. Etc Etc. This is how we will win and avoid bloodshed. The French Revolution brought us Napoleon. We need an American Revolution which brought us minds like Washington and Jefferson and Adams etc etc etc. We have a government just one of which that currently does not fit our needs. Better to ebb and flow with votes than with violence as it will work as intended once the sewage is drained from its bowls.

Let the rest of the world burn and kill themselves off as they are now and let us instead show we are better than this.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Old77

I understand and respect your point of view. That being said, I disagree with you. In most cases I don't support violence whatsoever. But in my opinion there is a big difference between violence and justice being served. Where has being peaceful gotten the American people? Look around and you will see.

I like your attitude though, and wish more humans shared your reasonable compassion. I still think most these tyrants deserve to hang. I hope your approach works because my approach is on it's way very shortly. You are running out of time my friend.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the USA formed during a violent uprising? I doubt the USA would have ever gained independence from the British with peaceful protests. Your current government is just as bad if not worse when compared to when you were governed by Great Britain.
edit on 1-9-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Why should I feel sad? This makes me love America all the more. Now the ACLU is on it, with this brave man fighting. Irregardless to if he wins or not, I suspect the ACLU will not let it go. May hate them, but they know what to do when they have to.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

www.freemanITOBA.com...

EVERYONE should watch this guy. THIS WORKS!! Know your rights and not NO RIGHTS!!! You NEVER give your name to an officer, you state you are the beneficiary of the trust in which HE is the trustee, he WORKS for you. He is employed in the public trust, he IS a public servant and he must OBEY you. Police powers are subordinate TO the people.

I have done this many times, no license and have gone to court countless times. You can make your own plate and everything, there are so many sites out here that it is ridiculous more people do not post them. Mary Croft and many others, with good info on how to act and represent yourself as a human being and NOT a corporate fiction to which THEY have the authority over!!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Yeah bull#! Where do I send a few attorneys?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by cosmicexplorer

Originally posted by hawkiye

Man Faces Life In Jail For Recording Police

www.infowars.com

41-year old Illinois mechanic Michael Allison faces life in jail for recording police officers after authorities hit him with eavesdropping charges based on the hoax that it is illegal to film cops, a misnomer that has been disproved by every other case against people filming police officers being thrown out of court.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Ive been a cop for 5 years....in Illinois...it is illegal to AUDIO record someone without them knowing... there are certain stipulations either way for and against this stupid law but its there, it does exist...and people get arrested for every now and then. So the quote above is wrong.

It is quite valid to audio record someone in a public place.
ignorance of the law is no excuse.

otherwise every live newscast with random background conversations would be subject to liable suits/eavesdropping charges unless they got a signed releasze form every single individual.
They do not.
what about those audio mics on the front of cop cars?
LAPD doesn't have them... so I have no expectation that every PD has them.
Ive never seen a cop exlain to someone that there is both audio and video recording devices present.. before they ask you for ID. so where is the line drawn?

The courts say one thing.. cops profess another.
again, ignorance of the law is no excuse right?
( BTW I hate that phrase more than a cop hates hearing we pay his salary.. which is 100% true.)

OUR ( all of us) expectation of privacy is limited in public places.

BTW, in your 5 years of service, how many times have you reported a corrupt officer, and how many times have you seen police corruption and not reported it immediately?
Just be honest. we already know after 5 years, you are either an IA dept officer or you have ignored a cop breaking the law.

Not an attack on you at all, just making a very overlooked point, because you openly posted your profession as a LEO.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join