It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jupiter-bound space probe captures Earth and Moon

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam." ~ Carl Sagan

Minus the sunbeam.

I found this quite humbling indeed. We are infinitesimal on the scale of things.

This image of Earth (on the left) and the moon (on the right) was taken by NASA's Juno spacecraft on Aug. 26, 2011, when the spacecraft was about 6 million miles (9.66 million kilometers) away. It was taken by the spacecraft's onboard camera, JunoCam. The solar-powered Juno spacecraft lifted off from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida on Aug. 5 to begin a five-year journey to Jupiter. Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech

Juno covered the distance from Earth to the moon (about 250,000 miles or 402,000 kilometers) in less than one day's time. It will take the spacecraft another five years and 1,740 million miles (2,800 million kilometers) to complete the journey to Jupiter. The spacecraft will orbit the planet's poles 33 times and use its eight science instruments to probe beneath the gas giant's obscuring cloud cover to learn more about its origins, structure, atmosphere and magnetosphere, and look for a potential solid planetary core.

The solar-powered Juno spacecraft lifted off from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida at 9:25 a.m. PDT (12:25 p.m. EDT) on Aug. 5 to begin its five-year journey to Jupiter.

Source
edit on 31-8-2011 by timewalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
and even Carl Sagan

It definitely puts things in perspective.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I thought I might see the other side of the moon that isn't exposed to us.
Too bad the moon is the size of a pixel can't zoom in either lol.

edit on 31-8-2011 by foreshadower99 because: (must be filled out): bad spelling

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Kinda Humbling really.

Just shows how alone we really are as a species

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
If you look close, you can just make out my house.

Seriously though. That is a cool pic. Quite humbling to think how small our home is compared to the vastness of space.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

I wonder why there is no stars visible in that foto ?

like stars are shown in this foto

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
...yeah

"Humbling" is not quite enough word for that. Great post. Thanks.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Nice picture, and to imagine that is only just over half a minute away in light speed.

GM

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Very humbling picture. To further that, here's another picture.

Sorry, had to do it.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I don't really feel humbled by it at all.

The size of something doesn't matter. I'm alive and conscious regardless how small I am, so is my dog, and my hermit crabs.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

The I or me >
The meat sack <

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

In photography, exposure is the total density of light allowed to fall on the photographic medium (photographic film or image sensor) during the process of taking a photograph. Exposure is measured in lux seconds, and can be computed from exposure value (EV) and scene luminance over a specified area.

Exposure (Photography) Wiki

Hubble Ultra Deep Field

Called the Hubble Ultra Deep Field (HUDF), the million-second-long exposure reveals the first galaxies to emerge from the so-called "dark ages," the time shortly after the big bang when the first stars reheated the cold, dark universe.

hubblesite.org

edit on 31-8-2011 by timewalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Dude, I know, we are unimaginably tiny. I had this buddy who used to do this great thing where he would run down how fast everything is moving; he would start with how fast we are spinning and than add how fast we are hurtling through space and then just keep going until my (or anyone else listening's) head would feel like it was about to come apart. Add to this how incredibly tiny we are and the whole thing just seems impossible.

Thanks for putting up the photo; I really love it too.

edit on 31-8-2011 by Frater210 because: spellink

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

I wonder why there is no stars visible in that foto ? like stars are shown in this foto

I always love this question. It seems to be explained away easily by those in know about the photography but I am always left unsatisfied by the explanation somehow, as I am sure you are.

Great pic as well.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   

I just see two dots on a black background. I can do that, and spin a fancy story about it that anyone will believe too, if they payed me with tax-money.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

I had to figure out the speed of said probe when it said it made the distance from the earth to the moon in a single day. To my surprise it was slower than I thought.

1 day - 238857 miles = 9952.375
27 days since launch 6m miles = 9959.259

Thats a discrepancy of 693.115740741 mph

I smell a NASA conspiracy!

I always kind of pictured it like this, of course with that being being in another equally as small universe in a marble, Ad infinitum.

Actually, I always thought of our everything being a minute atom, in say a gigantic table leg in a bigger universe, but the MIB theory will have to do for imagery.
edit on 1-9-2011 by timewalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

Oh yeah, I wish they would show us the long exposure shot's too.

It is probably out of this world.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

I would venture to say that is the moon in that photo too? Based on the Sunset horizon on the upper right of the picture. Probably "frozen urine" for the rest.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
That's a great picture indeed, thanks for the post.

One thing bothers me though...

This image of Earth (on the left) and the moon (on the right) was taken by NASA's Juno spacecraft on Aug. 26, 2011

Is that really needed?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   

what?

Equating size to importance is an incredibly humanic way of looking at things
edit on 9/1/2011 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3 >>

join