It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How US firms profited from torture flights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

How US firms profited from torture flights

www.guardian.co.uk

Court documents illustrate how US contracted out secret rendition transportation to a network of private companies...
As the 10th anniversary of 9/11 approaches, the mass of invoices, receipts, contracts and email correspondence – submitted as evidence to a court in upstate New York – provides a unique glimpse into a world in which the "war on terror" became just another charter opportunity for American businesses.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

As a result of the case, the identities of some of the corporations involved in the rendition programme have been disclosed for the first time, along with the names of some of the executives who knew the purpose of the flights.

Ahem....
These outfits - private jets that flew "suspects" to "secret" CIA jails just can't be satisfied with the profits they got off this "rendering" (like, a slaughter-house "rendering" of meat into gelatin? That kind of "rendering"? ewwww) of selected terrorists all over the globe.
They are SUING, because some other guys got MORE money than they did.

The government wanted "the cheapest aircraft to fulfil a mission", Sportsflight's owner, Don Moss, told the court. But it was the early days of the rendition programme, and business was booming: the court heard that Sportsflight told Richmor: "The client says we're going to be very, very busy."

Invoices submitted to the court as evidence tally with flights suspected of ferrying around individuals who were captured and delivered into the CIA's network of secret jails around the world.

The documents were discovered by staff at the legal charity Reprieve. Its legal director, Cori Crider, said: "These documents reveal how the CIA's secret network of torture sites was able to operate unchecked for so many years. They also reveal what a farce it was that the CIA managed to get the prisoners' torture claims kicked out as secret, while all of the details of its sinister business were hiding in plain sight."

Jeezy Kreezy. There just seems no end to the way that the military-industrial complex makes some people profit at the expense of others.

The article is quite astounding, I think...
and opens up 'a whole 'nother' scandal for viewing...

And get a load of how it was presented to the court:

Richmor's president, Mahlon Richards, told the court that the aircraft carried "government personnel and their invitees" (pdf). "Invitees?" queried the judge, Paul Czajka. "Invitees," confirmed Richards. They were being flown across the world because the US government believed them to be "bad guys", he said. Richmor performed well, Richards added. "We were complimented all the time." "By the invitees?" asked the judge. "Not the invitees, the government."

The court transcript is linked as a pdf.
Wow. Again.
I can hardly believe how many times I've used that little word since opening the lid on this box...
(see avatar)...

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 31-8-2011 by wildtimes because: to make sure to ex-text the snipped text.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Sadly, things which really matter and are of great importance tend to get the least attention here, but I for one am glad this stuff gets posted anyway...because I know many more are reading than posting, and I hope very much that they're paying better attention to the realities exposed here than we denizens often do.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Are these the same companies that were already doing CIA flights in the name of "The war on drugs"?

It wouldn't surprise me to be honest in that Old Boys Network.

edit on 31-8-2011 by Grey Magic because: spelling

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

How many companies involved profited from the flights? Answer: Every single one of them.

That is where the defense budget goes, to contractors. Because they are so much "cheaper" than a governmental option. Please, it's not like the DoD has any airplanes or people to fly them.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Yes, and aren't the "guys who own private jets" some of the most highlighted examples of the tax loopholes?
It feels as though I'm looking at an enormous tapestry from six inches away -- it's too big for me to see the whole thing, but if I look at the independent stitches...

Yikes. When all these charlatans and good-old-boys wind up in the nasty afterlife they continue to cook up (or weave -- if we want to avoid mixing metaphors) for themselves, they can at least continue to pat each other on the back and say,
"Well, it was fun while it lasted, eh?"
Anymore I feel like it's too enormous a problem to even worry about.
None of it really matters in the cosmic sense, to me anyway.

But, while I'm able, I suppose it's appropriate to at least shine my feeble little keychain light on the issues, to try to spread the word. Things are just not okay. But they are what they are. I am grateful that my parents taught me ethics, honesty, morals, and compassion. And to think outside the box (notwithstanding it can make one rather unemployable after a few times of speaking out the words that others are thinking but too "discreet" to say).

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by sepermeru

It does seem futile at times, doesn't it? But thanks for reminding me, there are people reading who are not necessarily interested in joining into the convo. I was a lurker for a long time...
but yes, if even 10 people become aware of factoids like this, it helps to spread the word. Perhaps they will share the info with their dinner companions, or the person at the bar next to them, or their BFF while reviewing the day's gossip...
and if those people tell 5 more people...
well, you know.

Thanks for the encouragement and acknowledgement.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
All I can say is great find!

Time to start reading up on this.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Many people profited from this war on terror.

The same way some people profited from every other war. The only solution to this is to end all wars.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint

The same way some people profited from every other war. The only solution to this is to end all wars.

Absolutely and completely agree with you, bro.
If women were running the world....
it would happen.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint

Absolutely and completely agree with you, bro.
If women were running the world....
it would happen.

As a man I consider myself a feminist, but I'm not totally convinced it's true that if women ran the world from the beginning they'd have ended up any better than the men did. I think now that they have experienced life on the outside of power, they'd make better rulers, and also the halls of power would probably smell nicer and have more interesting art and books in them.

But that's OT, and around here we're surrounded by folks who think 'feminist' is a synonym for 'NWO agent' anyway.

I agree with you that these flights and everything associated with them -- the black sites, the torture -- I mean, the stuff we know about is so horrific that trying to imagine how history will view us when ALL the truth comes out is pretty bleak -- anyway, they are not just caused by war, they are absolutely necessitated by it, just as exploitation is necessitated by capitalism, and therefore the only solution is to outlaw the privilege of any state to make war or kill anybody or take anybody's land.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by sepermeru

I agree with you that these flights and everything associated with them -- the black sites, the torture -- I mean, the stuff we know about is so horrific that trying to imagine how history will view us when ALL the truth comes out is pretty bleak -- anyway, they are not just caused by war, they are absolutely necessitated by it, just as exploitation is necessitated by capitalism, and therefore the only solution is to outlaw the privilege of any state to make war or kill anybody or take anybody's land.

I wonder, too, how history will view this particular phase of humankind's existence and behavior. It makes me sad, in a sort of numb way.

Your solution as suggested above is exactly the one I favor. Boils down to the only rule I believe in: The Golden Rule.

new topics

top topics

join