It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Church closes food bank because it attracts poor people

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Of course one of the positives of religion often cited by believers is the whole charity thing and this church isn't making the case very well.
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

I think they made their charity case very well..but it was abused.

I don't understand all of you who put down churches and religion so much..like they are total idiots.. So what beliefs do you go by? Have you opened a food bank? what do you do for the poor?

Seems odd that you can judge a church and its beliefs..judge them for stopping a service that has obviously been taken advantage of. Tell me..what do you do for the poor..on a biweekly basis?? Have you ever felt like the ones you were helping were NOT trying to help themselves..but in reality the help you were giving them with food..just enabled them to have more money to but drugs?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

I thought church was a option of salvation for poor people?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by pussycat

I thought church was a option of salvation for poor people?

Exactly ..churches are there to preach salvation... and if they are attracting a lot of people who really don't care about the spirituality ..yet take advantage of the food programs..and invite their friends to come along for the free food..something is not right.

I think the church was wise..to begin to focus on the spiritual side of their ministry.
edit on 1-9-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by gabby2011

churches are there to preach salvation

How else would they fill the collection plates and gain support? It was a lot easier when they could threaten people with hellfire.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck

I can see them not wanting to give out food to strangers because that's not what it's for. Still, to go on and imply that they want to stop it because they're tired of feeding the poor who have not taken responsibility for their own lives...um, do these people know about the worldwide economy and the price of things these days? Seriously, so much for Christ-like love.

They shouldn't care who they give it too, I always thought of food banks as a way for them to get new members to follow the church. Really sad that they would close it do to attracting poor people. Who did they think they were gonna attract? Someone rich? Um, no - they can buy food fine.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWorldSpins

They shouldn't care who they give it too, I always thought of food banks as a way for them to get new members to follow the church. Really sad that they would close it do to attracting poor people. Who did they think they were gonna attract? Someone rich? Um, no - they can buy food fine.

First off..the church was not a food bank..but had a program to help some of their congregation that was struggling financially...which is nice..and that is what a caring church community does for its members.

Now..when others who were financially struggling..(or were using money for other things such as drugs..and booze) started coming to that church for those specific reasons only.. it sends off warning signals to the church leaders. Do they really want people who attend because of the food benefits , and charity.. or do they want to actually work with spiritual salvation? They decided on the latter , and created more programs on the "spiritual"side of the bible.

I have heard homeless people talking about where to get there next free meal..and this church has this on this day..and that church has that on such and such a day. If asked if they believe in Gods word..they laugh..and say nobody believes that crap anymore... and continue in their conversations using the name of jesus as a curse word..etc.

It's all fine and dandy to not believe in the bible, and that is their choice...but then they expect that the "stupid" people who say they believe in God should prove they have God's love by feeding them? Seems a little out of whack to me..

I recall verses in the bible ..mentioning how those who were being fed by the communities "back in early christian days" should work for their food, and not be a burden to their community.

I have also seen very poor people giving much volunteer time, and working hard for their churches , with little or no reward...solely because they believe in their hearts that they do it for God. These types can get taken advantage of as well by church leaders who are lazy, and care only about their own comforts.

So in conclusion.. I will say..that this was a program set up for those in need FROM the congregation..not a food bank...

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Fast forward 11 years and Overeaters Anonymous meet at this church every Wednesday morning, from 10am to 11am, in the Joyful Noise Room. Oh Saturday too ... in the Friendship Cafe.

Friendship. Friendship must only apply to the doubleplusgoodunpoor.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
The church preys on the gullible working class.

<< 1   >>

join