It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Scientists Plan to Pull an Asteroid into Orbit Around Earth.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

Lots of H2O yes, I agree, but separating the H from the O is the tough part. If we figured out how to do it in a fission reaction there would be more than enough power for the earth for millions of years, but these ideas are in their infancy right now. Just using the 1 in 6500 heavy hydrogen and splitting the extra electron off would still give us unbelievable amounts of power.

Actual hydrogen is hard to come by on earth, in it's pure form.

Pred...

Theres been an interesting development on that front lately.

"ScienceDaily (Aug. 30, 2011) — Scientists from the University of Kentucky and the University of Louisville have determined that an inexpensive semiconductor material can be "tweaked" to generate hydrogen from water using sunlight"

www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by underspace

Originally posted by Aeons
If biomass starts being shipped off planet, as humans, or food resources, etc....does the biomass replace itself?

So today's biomass levels are the ideal as far as the human contribution? I mean we (human) obviously were of much less population before, and we are not slowing down its increase any time soon. If we are say 300 years in the future and have a population of 12 billion, would you want to preserve the human biomass or ship it? Does your concern for throwing todays balance off suggest we are currently at some ideal tipping point? If it is, then shouldn't we want to ship some off to maintain that equilibrium due to the continual increase in population? I probably didn't understand what you meant to begin with

edit on 31-8-2011 by underspace because: (no reason given)

The total amount of biological mass on the planet remains the same regardless of what it is in.

The total mass remains the same.

Regardless of if that mass is plankton, or elephants, dinosaurs or fungi, the mass of the living substance is the same.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
We're just lucky the Chinese don't send a satellite to click onto the SNAP10a satellite we sent into Space.

They could guide that sucker for re-entry and send it straight at us.

It's a nuclear reactored satellite that went into melt down and is currently parked 4,000 miles above your head.

It's not too far fetched to intercept things in space for your use.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

Ok, I agree and electrolysis will be great when the storage containment is mastered. But, that is not the only reason why I think this process of orbiting an asteroid would be good, there are plenty of other reasons and other elements that could be of use for us. As well as the scientific implications with looking at the microbes and the building blocks of life that exist on them. It would also tell us what lies in the reaches of our solar system.

Or, at least, that's my thought process.

Pred...

Ahh, the scientific implications are what wasn't registering with me.
I'm not sure why I thought this would be just to find an alternative source of energy. IF it becomes cost feesable to do this scientific research in a far earth orbit and the gains in science made are worthwhile, I could become a proponent of this....as long as the orbit was farther than the moon. Something any closer just gives me the heebee jeebees!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join