It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Scientists Plan to Pull an Asteroid into Orbit Around Earth.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
This idea is crazy nutz. No Way jose! Reminds me of the movie, "the time machine" where the moon (asteroid) breaks up and crashes into earth cause the human species to split into 2 different races.

I wonder what the tidal effect would be? here are some vid's below of the movie I was referring too.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I am not opposed to this idea...

but why do we need to resort to this when we can with less risk mine the Helium-3 on the Moon? I say we gather the safest resources first.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
reply to post by Aeons

It was the comet impact that caused that not what was on the rock itself. Obviously a large asteroid impact would hurt us, but, I wouldn't be to worried about the asteroid having elements or minerals that would harm us.

Pred...

Ah - see that part I haven't any problem with whatsoever.

My issue is putting it in orbit around Earth for observation. Not resource gathering.

I have no objections to addition of resources to the planet. At all. I've been blogging about it for ...oh... two decades?

I do have some questions about exporting biomass off planet. The amount of biomass remains consistent even when its form changes in the biosphere. If biomass starts being shipped off planet, as humans, or food resources, etc....does the biomass replace itself? What about if we start shipping biomass to the planet from another place? I've been rolling this one around for about a decade and can't get a handle on it. I suspect that there might be something to be concerned about here, but I think I'd need a much better way of modeling the effect across multiple spontaneous and artificial biomass production/sustainment points.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Well, I see what your saying, but, I think in order to make some sort of impact on the earth we would have to be talking about a lot of items being transported off the planet. As for coming on we receive about 20,000 tons of meteorites, asteroids, space debris and comet remnants per year coming into our atmosphere so that's quite a bit.

I understand, but I think we are nowhere near worrying about an issue like that.

Pred...

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal
[more

That will be just fine until the bankers find out that their pricing stability is in jeopardy. They'll find a way to make the Chinese jack up the costs so as not to destroy the competition. It always works that way. The banks always win.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
If biomass starts being shipped off planet, as humans, or food resources, etc....does the biomass replace itself?

So today's biomass levels are the ideal as far as the human contribution? I mean we (human) obviously were of much less population before, and we are not slowing down its increase any time soon. If we are say 300 years in the future and have a population of 12 billion, would you want to preserve the human biomass or ship it? Does your concern for throwing todays balance off suggest we are currently at some ideal tipping point? If it is, then shouldn't we want to ship some off to maintain that equilibrium due to the continual increase in population? I probably didn't understand what you meant to begin with

edit on 31-8-2011 by underspace because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
I guess they just found the perfect replacement for ICBM's.. It's the same as a ICBM, except it's in geo stationary orbit till they want to use it.. Maybe it's just me, but i'm seeing more posibilities then just mining, studying, etc.. :s

Besides, messing with that kind of force is bound to create an "oops" moment one day..

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elexio
I guess they just found the perfect replacement for ICBM's.. It's the same as a ICBM, except it's in geo stationary orbit till they want to use it.. Maybe it's just me, but i'm seeing more posibilities then just mining, studying, etc.. :s

Besides, messing with that kind of force is bound to create an "oops" moment one day..

Completey agree, do none of you ATS not see a problem with China having control of a orbiting ballistic weapon?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

I can see it now every country will want one so they feel like they are in the bigboy league. The future of war is not nukes it will be who can fling the biggest space rock
Sad tho that we could revert back to throwing rocks to solve our problems.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Because they don't have weapons now? They couldn't hit north America with any of their arsenal?

As I said before the orbit would diminish the speed a normal meteor or asteroid would have making impact much less deadly. It would boom but not like it would naturally.

The US needs to get over the fact that others have weapons that can hurt them. They have enough weapons to destroy the earth and the moon over and over again, but yet something like this comes along and people are worried about it being used as a weapon?

Let's not let our fears get the best of us and just think about the benefits.

Pred...

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet

Originally posted by Elexio

Completey agree, do none of you ATS not see a problem with China having control of a orbiting ballistic weapon?

No more than America having control of one!

This has a date of 2049 tagged to it, so who says they don't have plans to investigate asteroids on the moon first anyway - I seriously doubt that anyone would take on this task without doing their homework first.

The more nations in space the better as it means it is much harder for any one of them to hide something

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
I am sceptic.
What if foreign minerals and chemicals dont blend in with earths natural balance?

What if we create a more devastating environmental problem here on earth with these asteroid particles, how would we/earth fix that?

Foreign particles can spread like a disease here on earth.
edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   

reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Going to the asteroid belt would be a good thing yes, but, we are having troubles getting to just mars, how long do you think the planning would be to get twice as far? Also the fuel to get there and back with shipments would be a lot higher.

If we could get one almost as close as earth that it unbelievably close and would also provide a lot of information scientifically and would be beneficial in almost every way. Minerals would be a major factor but the fact we could study it, in depth, for as long as we want and the fact it would be close to earth would be so beneficial and unprecedented that there would be few drawbacks to not doing it.

Pred...

If we are waiting for a Government sponsored effort? Our Children's children will still be wistfully looking at the stars and wondering what may be up there. If, however, we can kick private sector in the tail.....or just stay out of their way with less regulation, taxes and general obstacles several layers deep....perhaps greed and profit motive can make the jump.

Realistically, I'm waiting for China and India to really get rolling on their respective programs. They won't shut their programs down for YEARS because one craft had a malfunction and some people tragically lose their lives. If the innovation for airplanes had followed that curve, we'd still be designing better forms of the Bi-Plane.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Because they don't have weapons now? They couldn't hit north America with any of their arsenal?

As I said before the orbit would diminish the speed a normal meteor or asteroid would have making impact much less deadly. It would boom but not like it would naturally.

The US needs to get over the fact that others have weapons that can hurt them. They have enough weapons to destroy the earth and the moon over and over again, but yet something like this comes along and people are worried about it being used as a weapon?

Let's not let our fears get the best of us and just think about the benefits.

Pred...

It's not fear making me post that thought. I'm just seeing "extra possiblities" in controlling space rocks! ;-)

Besides you don't have to target a spot on the earth to knock something out. Satellites are even easier and fragile.. (maybe i should patent this thought and get rich in the future?
)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Come on Pred. I have read many of your post and you seem to be a very intelligent person. electrolysis is so easy you can do it with two pencils, a glass jar, a bit of wire and a copper plate.

www.nmsea.org...

This whole business about Hydrogen being difficult to obtain is just not true. The problem is storing it. You need to keep it cold. Car makers are having a bit of a difficult time figuring out the best way to do this. Although some home builders are already incorporating this idea along with geothermal heating and cooling to run their homes.

We don't need an asteroid so close to the only home we have. We need to figure out how to use what we have and get the politics out of it. This earth has abundant resources for us to exploit.

energy (electricity) + 2 H2O = O2 + 2 H2

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
It would cost A LOT of energy, and I'm not even sure if we understand physics so well as to pull this off with no errors.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
lol every one panick its small very small even if it did crash intoe arth it would never make it bto thr ground it would compleatly burn up.
But studdy it?? excatly what do we need to study ?? nickle iron mix end of study.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Killing their own people with fake milk with melamine and synthetic eggs and trashing the others nations with all sort of fake stuff, is not enough for Chinese government, so that now they want to cause an asteroid crashing on Earth... Way to go China, way to go...

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
It would cost A LOT of energy, and I'm not even sure if we understand physics so well as to pull this off with no errors.

Remember the year is 2049.By then or even now,we might be capable of capturing a small asteroid.I think if it is possible and can be done safely,it is a great idea.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

Ok, I agree and electrolysis will be great when the storage containment is mastered. But, that is not the only reason why I think this process of orbiting an asteroid would be good, there are plenty of other reasons and other elements that could be of use for us. As well as the scientific implications with looking at the microbes and the building blocks of life that exist on them. It would also tell us what lies in the reaches of our solar system.

Or, at least, that's my thought process.

Pred...

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join