It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Scientists Plan to Pull an Asteroid into Orbit Around Earth.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Wonder what the odds are of this creating a collision.Nobel idea an all,suggesting if we could in fact get it down to a science,capturing asteroids and temporarily making them Earth Bound Satellites(orbiting around twice the distance as the Moon),mine them for minerals and send them on their way.
Source

The idea isn’t simply to flirt with cataclysmic danger, but to bring a small object (they suggest a 10-meter object called 2008EA9 that will pass nearby in 2049) into a loop around the Earth so we can study it closely for a few years. If we can get the art of capturing asteroids orbitally down to a science, we could use it to temporarily make asteroids into Earth-bound satellites (orbiting at about twice the distance of the moon), mine them for minerals, and then send them on their ways.

(Alternative Source)
Source

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
That sounds freaking awesome. Think of what kind of rare minerals we'll be able to get from the asteroids!!

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by PsychoReaper4

..... And leave Earth's precious mineral alone for once...yeah, sounds like a great plan to me

Too bad I won't be there to see it happen

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
yeah sounds about right.

we´ve got it all figured out on our planet, time to start messing with space-rocks..

/end sarcasm here
edit on 31-8-2011 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
With the right kind of equipment (thrusters and a rudimentary guidance system) this asteroid could be turned into a deadly weapon.

I don't trust the motives of my own government, why would we trust the Chinnesse gov?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
No no no no no.

Good idea, but I'm sorry I don't trust you all that much and I currently only have one planet to live on. No.

No playing with black holes on the planet, no bringing asteroids into orbit. No.

Now, there are other planets nearby that you can do this with. Go to'er. Put it into a similar orbit around the sun betwen Earth and Mars or Earth and Venus. Create your own asteroid belt, speed them up / slow them down to have a concurrent orbit with Earth.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

ATS, here is "Nibiru" for you.

All the strange end times 2012 programming (aliens, wormholes, etc) always have to have multiple plausibilities balanced with deniabilities right up until they've got you mentally cornered.

And now, in 2012 they'll say, "the Chinese have put an asteroid into orbit"! "No, it's Nibiru, home of the aliens." Etc.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
This is the future people. This is how we are going to advance. We will have to do this and get minerals and elements that are not on the earth or that the earth has in limited supplies.

What makes an asteroid or meteor so deadly is the speeds that it is traveling at, if put in an orbit the speeds would be decreased a ton. It would still harm where it landed but it wouldn't be nearly as bad.

This is going to happen, I don't like that it is done by china, but, I guess they are more future driven then we are. We seem to only care about wars, and care nothing else.

Good on them, at least someone is thinking outside the box.

Pred...
edit on 31-8-2011 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by FrankLY

Hell I'll be like 50 something years old.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
This is the future people. This is how we are going to advance. We will have to do this and get minerals and elements that are not on the earth or that the earth has in limited supplies.
Pred...

first lets advance here on earth.

get off our thirst for oil.
start harnessing more clean energy.

maybe we should start by using the military budget for 'green' research and developments.

electric or hydrogen car.
etc.
etc.

first we need to sort things out here.

before we start pillaging other planets just because we, as humanity, F-ed up...

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

Sure, hydrogen advancement, absolutely agree. But, where do we get the hydrogen from? It's not very abundant on earth and any process we use to make it creates a ton of CO2. If we could harvest it off an asteroid or meteor andhave an abundance of it, maybe hydrogen would take off more and become more of an option.

Pred...

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

reply to post by kn0wh0w

Sure, hydrogen advancement, absolutely agree. But, where do we get the hydrogen from? It's not very abundant on earth and any process we use to make it creates a ton of CO2. If we could harvest it off an asteroid or meteor andhave an abundance of it, maybe hydrogen would take off more and become more of an option.

Pred...

true true.
but it still think we've got a lot of advancements to make here on earth, before we start collecting resources from our solar system.

if the same kind of research went into 'green' developments as into making the world's first A-bomb, we would be there allready, imho that is.

link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

Thank god people like you aren't responsible for green lighting scientific research, otherwise we'd still be banging rocks together.

link   
I wonder if this is related to the 7 new planets the illumaniti on ATS discussed?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

what if the comet, in the long run, takes on a trajectory where it would eventually collide with earth?

i think we're messing with things we shouln't be messing with.

again, thats just me though.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by john_bmth
reply to post by kn0wh0w

Thank god people like you aren't responsible for green lighting scientific research, otherwise we'd still be banging rocks together.

and why is that?

if i said something stupid, correct me.

instead of attacking me and boosting your ego with the stars you collected for 'burning' someone.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

What makes an asteroid or meteor so deadly is the speeds that it is traveling at, if put in an orbit the speeds would be decreased a ton. It would still harm where it landed but it wouldn't be nearly as bad.

This is going to happen, I don't like that it is done by china, but, I guess they are more future driven then we are. We seem to only care about wars, and care nothing else.

Good on them, at least someone is thinking outside the box.

Pred...

Perhaps it's just me, but doesn't it make more sense to go out to the Asteroid belts a safe distance from Earth to do mining like this?? I know the Chinese are becoming a true world space power in their own right these days, but I'd remind them that a simple idiotic mistake between Feet and Meters sent a priceless probe into Mars to become a cosmic lawn dart.

Perhaps.....NOT right next to Earth with things capable of fundamentally changing the way life on Earth exists into the future?? I really like that whole concept of human commercial research posts on Mars or elsewhere. Let the worst case scenarios occur close enough to see with a telescope, but far enough to feel bad for the poor people in it before we carry on with our regular day.
edit on 31-8-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

But say this would jump us to a whole other level. We would almost be at the point of a type one civilization, we are only doing something else at type one, and that's the Internet. Look at how beneficial that is. The Internet is the reason why we are advancing at such a fast pace right now. Why turn down something that will help us in similar ways?

Pred...

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by kn0wh0w
reply to post by predator0187

what if the comet, in the long run, takes on a trajectory where it would eventually collide with earth?

i think we're messing with things we shouln't be messing with.

again, thats just me though.

If we could manage to get it into orbit this would not be a problem. We are not worried about satellites crashing down or the moon hitting earth. Once a stable orbit is established there would be no worries. That's what an orbit means.

Pred...

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Going to the asteroid belt would be a good thing yes, but, we are having troubles getting to just mars, how long do you think the planning would be to get twice as far? Also the fuel to get there and back with shipments would be a lot higher.

If we could get one almost as close as earth that it unbelievably close and would also provide a lot of information scientifically and would be beneficial in almost every way. Minerals would be a major factor but the fact we could study it, in depth, for as long as we want and the fact it would be close to earth would be so beneficial and unprecedented that there would be few drawbacks to not doing it.

Pred...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join