It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISS not to be evacuated in november??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

latimesblogs.latimes.com

Russian space officials say they have identified what went wrong with the rocket that failed to reach orbit last week. Now the question is whether the explanation will allay enough fears to keep the International Space Station going.

A spokesperson for the Federal Space Agency (Roscomos) told Russian news agency Itar-Tass that the failure was caused by the rocket's third-stage engine. "It is a malfunction in the engine's gas generator," he said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
well as the lack of faith in NASA by the ATS community is disturbing, it is not alone....
www.orbital.com...
the Taurus II is scheduled for a test run in november, but spaceX also has a capable craft seeking a test run in november also!
en.m.wikipedia.org...
to me this is a pretty good sign, were seeing a huge commercial spacerace slowly emerge in the wake of the Russian crash, anybody else excited? or do you all just think the super mach 8 airplane is antigrav and was shot to jupiter to moniter elenin where two team members who were best friends died on a risky mission to get sensitive data on planet x!??????

latimesblogs.latimes.com
edit on 31-8-2011 by POPtheKlEEN89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Ya, I would imagine the reasons for abandoning the ISS are far greater than the excuse they will use to do so.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by POPtheKlEEN89

latimesblogs.latimes.com

Russian space officials say they have identified what went wrong with the rocket that failed to reach orbit last week. Now the question is whether the explanation will allay enough fears to keep the International Space Station going.

A spokesperson for the Federal Space Agency (Roscomos) told Russian news agency Itar-Tass that the failure was caused by the rocket's third-stage engine. "It is a malfunction in the engine's gas generator," he said.

Excellent News.

If I remember correctly, the Russians are scheduled to come home first in one of the two Soyuz currently docked to the station. I was wondering if our new, agile and sneaky little X-37 could extend the stay with supplies if necessary.

Then again, I believe I have read that the return vehicle (the Soyuz) dictates when they must leave-- I have not read why, but those are rated to stay in space for only so long.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Frira

This article in Universe Today gives an insight into the Soyuz lifespan problem
The loss of supplies on board the Progress cargo ship is trivial, and not an issue at all. The space station is well-supplied into next summer, thanks to the additional space shuttle flight, STS-135 which brought up a filled-to-the-brim cargo container. The issue is the 200-day lifespan of a Soyuz capsule on orbit, particularly the perioxide thruster system which is not certified to last past 200 days.
For full story read
Link

new topics

top topics

join