It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

-2 Black Hole Caught Eating Another- viewed using NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Space Cannibal: Ginormous Black Hole Caught Eating Another lol @ ginormous

Something else cosmic for the Space loving minds
. This is a new find for Astronomers but 1 is sure not the only example. I find it amazing that stars so close to each other were birthed and ascended in nearly the same time periods to create these 2 black holes and not just 1 large 1 from one eating the other.

ATS the questions I present to you if 1 may are, if these in fact are 2 black holes close to each other then how are they not eating the elder stars there?

Also how is it possible that, (with what is taught) 2 stars ascended into 2 black holes and not 1 large black hole eating the star that ascended second?

The galaxy NGC3393 includes two active black holes (shown in inset) that are thought to result from the galaxy's merger with a smaller companion.

Using NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory, investigators have detected two black holes at its center, one about 30 million times the mass of the sun, and one at least 1 million times the mass of the sun, separated by only about 490 light-years. They are the closest supermassive black holes to Earth ever seen, according to a NASA statement.

As galaxies collide, the results can be dramatic — for instance, nearby galaxies NGC6240 and Mrk 463, apparently the results of major mergers, show disrupted shapes and many new stars that have formed around their cores.

In contrast, this newfound galactic product of a minor merger surprisingly has a regular spiral shape like the Milky Way and has a mostly old population of stars around its heart. "It doesn't look perturbed or anything," Fabbiano said.

www.space.com...

More things learned everyday it seems.

NAMASTE*******
edit on 8/31/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

How can a hole swallow a hole?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I say the same things every time NASA shows us anything trillions of miles away....

"Take a picture of the lunar vehicles and flags we put on the moon, so we can put to bed this endless debate once and for all!"

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I've always thought the term "black hole" was/is inappropriate.

A better term would be "black star" or "black sun"

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

My point exactly. I can only assume they containd simular star make ups previous to switching into blackholes. Allowing them to coexist.

thanks

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Now you know those photos of the picinic on the moon cannot be released until Earth can bring some food to the table.

thanks

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MardukNibiru

I see what you meen somewhat still stars since they have not really died out as much as they have switched observable frequencies. Interesting POV, I likes.

Thanks

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Now I used the search function with the title mods and there is another thread with the title. Can this function please be modified.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I suppose they must merge. I wonder what sort of energy is released?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

Or if the wormhole theory is real then would there be 2 WH as well as 2 white holes? 1 can just imagine the energy there.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Or would one worm hole get transported through the other?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

That would mean any in there would be stuck in a new location potentially location in between. This is where time travel or dimensioning techs may be worked. Still it would be interesting to experience. Outta box maybe the wh would allow more distant travel or jumping.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I could post a cheesy joke related to the topic
but that would be illegal, so no

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Also how is it possible that, (with what is taught) 2 stars ascended into 2 black holes and not 1 large black hole eating the star that ascended second?

Could be because they are separated by 490 light years, not exactly neighbors.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

lol Are they really better?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Yes but in cosmic terms they are.
Thanks

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

The biggest one wins, just like in the animal kingdom. But these two are simply too far away from each other, if what they say has any accuracy. To be sucked into even by a super massive black hole you'd have to be within about at least a few light years away, not hundreds. Stars can remain in stable orbits around supermassive black holes, I don't see why a simple stellar black hole couldn't either.

Not sure how valid these replies are at this site but one guy says an event horizon of a black hole can be as small as 0.15 AU in radius.

link

See what you can find out, I spent 10 minutes on it.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

The idea of a "black hole", I think, goes something like this:

A star with enough mass(something like 4 solar masses and above), will, at the end of its fusion cycle, begin a rapid implosion process, greatly compressing the remnants of its mass, which will mostly be iron. The implosion is caused by the incredible amount of gravity inherent in the mass of the star, and was previously held at bay by the heat and violence and explosive energy of the ongoing fusion taking place(so while "burning", a star is actually balancing between two powerful forces--the tendency of the fusion to explode, and the tendency of the gravity to implode). When the fusion is done, gravity takes over. There is a massive implosion of all the remaining mass, which causes a massive jolt to the actual structure of the atoms in the mass. The gravity is so strong it pushes the electrons of the atoms into the nuclei.
This causes two major events. One, the energy released from the breaking of the Weak Nuclear Force responsible for atomic structure is incredible, and the resulting shockwave is so powerful it can last for ages, and expand many light years. That explosion is called a Supernova, and their remnants are all over the place....Google "Planetary Nebulas".
The second major event caused by the catastrophic implosion is that the electrons, with their negative magnetic charges, are forced into merging with the particles in the atomic nuclei, the protons and neutrons. This results in a extremely rapid shifting around of electrical charges in the particles...some neutrons(which are electromagneticly neutral, hence the name) may absorb an electron and become, for a very short period, negatively charged. If a Proton, which is positively charged, absorbs an electron, the charges cancel, and the proton-plus-electron becomes a neutron. Temporary "negative" neutrons have their recently aquired charge canceled by protons that didn't get an electron.
Anyway, you basically end up with a #load of neutrons and nothing else. Neutrons are a "heavy" atomic particle, they've got lots of mass, but no charge. So they can all sit right next to each other, endlessly. As a normal atomic structure is actually a whole lot of empty space--a little cluster of the heavies in the center, with the electrons flitting around unseen in the distance--this resulting mass of nothing but neutrons is incredibly dense. The material is called Neutronium, and is the primary matter of Neutron Stars.

At this stage, a star with less than 3 or 4 solar masses would be done with its transformation. It's a really tiny ball of amazingly dense stuff that is really hot from all the violent stuff that just happened, a million degrees C or so. It will cool off in a few thousand years, and unless conditions are right for it to become a Pulsar, it will be dark, silent, and inert, radiating nothing. Incidentally, a cubic centimeter of neutronium is postulated to have an earth-weight of tens of millions of tons.

Needless to say, the surface gravity of such an object would be phenomenal. Millions of Gs. If the star had enough mass initially, then the surface gravity will be high enough such that the escape velocity is higher than the speed of light. Hello, black hole.

Incidientally, the black holes in the OP are not stellar black holes, otherwise known as a "Collapsar". They are closer to a "Collaxar". A collapsed galaxy. There are an estimated thirty million solar masses in one of them.

Great OP tho, I am a total geek for stuff like this. Can you tell?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
how can a compact source of radiation be called a black hole,
some of them are the most luminous objects we know of

xploder

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Yah but we call those Quasars.

Still, a lot of radiation is generated around most black holes, even the non-quasar ones. It's supposedly a result of really traumatic stuff happening to the matter on the inside edge of the accretion disk, and not from the black holes themselves.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join