It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tesco is Closing all its 129 stores in Japan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
hmm. if I get this right isnt Tesco one of the biggest supermarket chains ?
and all of a sudden after 8 years they say they need to pull the plug on all there Japanese stores.
coinsidence the fact that Japan and Tokyo is a desertion point now since the earthquake and the radiation leaks.
are they quietly trying to tell us something ?

uk.finance.yahoo.com...

(by the way, I did look up this thread on here before I posted and could not find any other links..)

any thoughts peeps. Is there any other big company names about to abandon Japan too....

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Too radioactive. Must be true. Too dangerous.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Maybe it's because they are prohibited from selling radiation tainted food.....
Heartbreaking really.
That's a lot of unemployment right there, too. Where will these people find jobs?
so sad.
edit on 31-8-2011 by windword because: add

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by psyclops777

Surely it's for some reason due to some guys on the internets assumption?

Maybe they just didn't have any profits?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

True, they probably don't eat the food Tesco sells.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
Maybe they just didn't have any profits?

In Japan?

If you can't turn a profit there you should just give up completely.
edit on 31-8-2011 by FOXMULDER147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

I just think it strange that they can make a good profit in all the other countries they have moved into but they pick now to abandon Japan. its a bit obvious sales will have been hit this year, but to jump now is somewhat bad timing.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I'm curious about what products are being imported from Japan...When I try google to search for a list of goods being imported from Japan. I came across this...

All Europe countries, north-western Asia and India have already banned imports from Japan

Found here: Source

So why is the US still importing goods from Japan??? I wish more companies operating in Japan get a conscience, close shop & evacute people.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by relocator

yea this is what I find disturbing. seems the usa is even prepared to sacrifice its citizens not just soldiers to keep good standing with other nations

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by FOXMULDER147

Hard to believe considering every sob story I hear from Japan is usually about some failing family business.
And the fact that their economy is terrible, how many bailouts has their govt. needed to dispense?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

TESCO to quit Japan after eight years struggle Reuters

Nothing to do with radioactivity its because they are not making money, or to put it in ATS speak, "fail".

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Flyinghaggis

im still not convinced. it took them 8 years to realise they could not make it work in Japan, yet being the 3rd largest of its kind of business in the world and NOT failing in any other country? yeh right. just happens that Japan is having its worse year all round and they pull out the whole 129 stores. hmm cant tell me Tesco being good at sourcing its products and succeeding in every other country failed here! sounds like a get-out-quick scenario to me otherwise they would be pulling out from even worse off countries now if it was down to economics.
not sure this is a failed post just yet

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I never saw Tesco Supermarkets here in Japan,
also i never saw the really big Markets like i know from Europe or the US!

One reason is maybe that driving and/or owning a Car is very expensive here
(at least in the Metropolises)

Supermarkets are interesting for huge Families but there are not so many anymore,
many of the Singles do not cook at home, they eat Ramen or Donburi

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Wow, I didn't even know they were IN Japan.

Looking at their webpage, they had three small chains in tokyo and a couple of the surrounding prefectures. I may have been to one of their Tsurukame shops once without realizing it was Tesco.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

I have been following Tesco since I posted this thread a week ago and strangely they are dumping electrical stock at massive discounted prices in the UK. I follow a site called www.hotukdeals.com and there seems to be a lot of people claiming to be buying these items up at very good discounts... might just be coincidence but its seems to be electrical items that are produced in likes of Japan and China ?
or is there more to it ?

just a thought

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
just as I said when I produced this thread. Tesco are pulling out of Japan

uk.finance.yahoo.com...

surprised they lasted this long

top topics

join