It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Moves to Block AT&T Merger with T-Mobile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

"AT&T's elimination of T-Mobile as an independent, low-priced rival would remove a significant competitive force from the market," the complaint said. "Thus, unless this acquisition is enjoined, customers of mobile wireless telecommunications services likely will face higher prices, less product variety and innovation, and poorer quality services due to reduced incentives to invest than would exist absent the merger."

Source

Didn't see this posted yet. If it has, just close this.

Don't have a lot to say about this other than GOOD.

It's about time the government went after monopolies again. They are not good for competition, the economy (our pocketbooks in particular), or capitalism. AT&T of all companies should know better too. In addition, their service sucks

You may disagree....

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Seems to me to be like a crew of people with mops trying to stop the flooding of New Orleans during Katrina. I think this dyke burst back in the 80's.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Wow, sounds a lot like where Im from; Three big companies who own all the smaller companies, price gouging, no competition and no variety. OH CANADA....

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
No one here must understand Austrian Economics...monopolies are good for us.
And self-regulating...
And they should run without ANY government interference or pesky regulations (including environmental).

And you should know by now I am being so very facetious...

Clip 'em now, before the bulls get too big and frisky.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
The way things are, if they merged, it wouldn't make a difference they all fix things behind the scenes anyways. It's extremely common that board members from various companies are also board members on other companies, thus able to make a network of contacts to get a chance to meet and discuss the 'competition issue'.

So I am going to have to say this is just grandstanding by the govt so people will think "Oh good, our government doing it's job for once!" - Which is subliminally affecting our notions about government and seeking to appease us.

It makes us think govt has a purpose so we should keep giving it our $$, nope sorry don't agree at all.
We shouldn't need the government to do this in the first place.

If people Actually wanted to dethrone the mega-corps, they would stop buying their merchandise or services. It's as simple as that, the free market still exists in the background because the universe is chaos. Anything could happen.

Just vote them out with your money. Or, alternatively, if you believe a business is providing excellent service and products, while adhering to your personal political beliefs ( examples : anti-war, anti-pollution, pays good wages to workers etc), than you should help them continue their work and choose their product versus the company that commits atrocious 'unethical' acts.

Also, due to the fact the government creates massive bureaucratic obstacles for business to commence, such as the myriad of regulations that impede virtually every activity, competition is hard to come by.

Without government interference, there would be more competition because it would be much cheaper for smaller businesses to get started, as people would have never been taxed in the first place and could have saved up their own money to invest however they wanted. This would mean that all products and services would become cheaper because the taxes on commerce would be gone, so it would be a triple whammy.

Cheaper goods = more commerce
No taxes = more money to use in commerce

It would make us four times as rich by default of buying power dynamics.

edit on 31-8-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by the owlbear
And self-regulating...
And they should run without ANY government interference or pesky regulations (including environmental).

We should be the government. We the people. And vote the scum out by not buying their garbage.

The 'government' today is just a bunch of puppets bought out by those corporations we expect them to regulate and govern for the good of all.

Get the puppet machine out of the way, get rid of the taxes that it entails, and use all that extra money to buy products from the right producers/distributors. It will be super-ultra hard though. We might actually have to take 10minutes to look up the sources of our goods. We may have to ask someone at the counter something sometime...

As you can tell I am not being facetious.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I hope this is truly the case....
I have a nice cheap unlimited plan with tmobile and I would like it to stay that way!
I also like the option of not having to be locked down in a 2 year plan!
My financial situation ebbs and its nice to be able to make my plan cheaper when I need to, and bring it back up to unlimited when I am able!

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Originally posted by the owlbear
And self-regulating...

We should be the government. We the people. And vote the scum out by not buying their garbage.

The 'government' today is just a bunch of puppets bought out by those corporations we expect them to regulate and govern for the good of all.

Get the puppet machine out of the way, get rid of the taxes that it entails, and use all that extra money to buy products from the right producers/distributors. It will be super-ultra hard though. We might actually have to take 10minutes to look up the sources of our goods. We may have to ask someone at the counter something sometime...

As you can tell I am not being facetious.

I've got six chickens for your iPad.
Good enough?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

But don't you see? This is the part of the government that is us...for us. The part that does what it's supposed to. And the only part that can countermand what you're decrying.

Did I read in your post prior to this one that you said the industries will regulate themselves? And just for whose good would that be? There are more monopolies alive and kicking that many realize. They may pretend to be different "companies" but as "industries" they band together in lobbies and cartels and influence these politicians and milk us.

Maybe I've just misread everything, but this is what I'm getting....
edit on 8/31/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join