It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hazmat crews investigate suspicious package at Scott Air Force Base

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Hazmat crews investigate suspicious package at Scott Air Force Base

www.kmov.com

(KMOV)—Hazmat crews are investigating a suspicious package delivered to Scott Air Force Base Wednesday morning.
According to a spokesperson at the base, employees broke out with a rash after they opened the package delivered to the mail room.
Crews have closed the mail room and evacuated surrounding buildings as they continue to investigate.
Stay with News 4 as we continue to gather the latest information.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 8/31/2011 by 12m8keall2c because: title to same as source

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Going to try to keep updated but I have to go to work shortly.

I wonder whats making the people that came into contact with the package Break out into a rash?

I live about 10 minutes from Scott AFB and hope it's nothing too serious.

Another note on this AFB is a huge pick up in traffic of military movement of military planes in and out of this facility.

www.kmov.com (visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Hope this isn't anything serious.
Strange about the military pickup
as well. S @ F

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
Hope this isn't anything serious.
Strange about the military pickup
as well. S @ F

There has been a huge increase in traffic especially this last week. I play with my dogs everynight in the backyard and every 10 minutes there is a jet or large plane taking off right over my house heading west..just sitting in the house I can hear them loudly flying overhead, all the windows closed and the air running I can hear em. The other day there was a enormous plane (C-130??) really freaking low..it was crazy!

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Updated just a sec ago.

(KMOV)—Hazmat crews are investigating a suspicious package delivered to Scott Air Force Base Wednesday morning. According to the Scott Air Force Base website, three people have been transported to a hospital with 13 others being decontaminated after a suspicious package was delivered to the mail center in Building 1650. According to a spokesperson at the base, employees broke out with a rash after they opened the package delivered to the mail room. Crews have closed the official mail center to investigate. The Education Center, Bowling Alley, Information Tickets and Tours center as well as the Airman Family Readiness Center have all been evacuated from the surrounding area. Stay with News 4 as we continue to gather the latest information.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Anything can cause a rash....how bad of a rash are we talking about? What was in the actual package?

Who was it addressed to? Is it standard for military mail to be pre screened like that? Was the mail attendant prior to delivery affected?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Krystian
Anything can cause a rash....how bad of a rash are we talking about? What was in the actual package?

Who was it addressed to? Is it standard for military mail to be pre screened like that? Was the mail attendant prior to delivery affected?

Well..if you visit the link you can see that not a ton of info has been released yet..that's exactly why I posted it...

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
www.stltoday.com...

Three people have been taken to a hospital, and emergency responders are decontaminating more than a dozen people at Scott Air Force base after they were exposed to an unknown chemical that smells like sulfur.

I say they had a battery explode. When a battery explodes you get a sulfur smell and battery acid leakng.
edit on 31-8-2011 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
wouldnt it have been thoroughly test by now?

results??

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
This is strange,
Some of those taken to the hospital have already been released but Scanners listening to the emergency responders have given differant numbers to those reported.

Also I would normally not give this much credence, thinking if it was an attack it would be ex exployee or home grown, but Gaddafi is still loose and the world forgets he has tons and tons of chemical and biological agents of an very very sophisticated type.

Due to the above and the following which makes no sense (cover up the firefighters getting ill?) S+F BUMP and keep an eye folks:

As many as four firefighters were overcome by the heat while responding to the incident and were being evaluated for heat-related problems.

Heat from a fire that was not there?

From the sun? well why not differant in training exercises if they cant wear hazmat suits as its too hot? how did they train with hour upon hour long simulations?

Also this is a bit telling:

At about 10 a.m. Wednesday, emergency responders talking to St. Clair County dispatcher initially said 16 people were going through a decontamination process but later updated that figure to say 25. The base was reporting just 13, according to Capt. Kathleen Ferrero of Scott Air Force Base.

also this is an real event something not good is causing the rash officially:

Keith Long, a training chief for the Scott Air Force Base fire department, confirmed the "hazardous materials situation" but declined to offer specifics.
1AsOP Source but updated

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I know this is awful, but I can't help but think of a cheesy voice over reading out the updates. Thank you hollywood, Contagion has poisoned my mind. Yech, I think that movie looks awful too. I hope they identify the problem and it's nothing more than some fiber glass insulation that caused the rash.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
A: They shouldn't have opened somebody else's mail.

It could have been a bottle of RC Car fuel and they cut it open tearing into someone elses mail.

B: Either that or they were extremely stupid and opened up a package addressed to the Post Office itself. Nobody but bad guys mail something in a box to a Post Office.

Why would someone in a Post Office being opening a package???.....it's either A or B.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

Its a Military Air Force Post Office Handling Room , security bombs and all, have to be checked.

Any Updates anyone?

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
It appears they are keeping this local news
for now. Just had a look around and nothing
found on msm sites about the incident.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Update: Officials release personnel related to Scott AFB suspicious package incident from hospital

Air Mobility Command

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
It is interesting if you zoom down onto that air force base on google maps satellite view it does say midamerica. I don't know what that means, but whoever had that package transported there did their homework.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by KonquestAbySS
It is interesting if you zoom down onto that air force base on google maps satellite view it does say midamerica. I don't know what that means, but whoever had that package transported there did their homework.

Midamerica Airport, also known as Belleville (BLV) Link is the civilian side of Scott AFB.
Scott is the HQ of US Air Force Air Mobility Command.

top topics

join