It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeologists uncover amphitheatre used to train gladiators near Vienna

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Archaeologists uncover amphitheatre used to train gladiators near Vienna

www.guardian.co.uk

Archaeologists say they have located and excavated the ruins of a huge amphitheatre used to train gladiators east of Vienna, describing it as a "sensational discovery".

They claim that the ruins found through ground radar measurements rival the Colosseum and the Ludus Magnus in Rome in their structure.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Never seizes to amaze me what these guys find. Just a month ago the tomb of disciple St Philippus was found in Turkey, and now we have an archaeological find to rival the size of the colosseum! Although that is huge, can't imagine it can compete with the iconic symbol of the colosseum. Nevertheless, it's quite fascinating to say the least.

According to the article they didn't reveal the location of the excavation, which is understandable. I can imagine it would attract a considerable amount of people, and that could jeopardize the area. But, I do hope there are pictures on the way.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Very cool find, thank you for sharing!

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

Just a month ago the tomb of disciple St Philippus was found in Turkey

And how do they know this is his tomb? Did someone engrave his name in the tomb, stating he was a disciple?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

I love how we have found so much about past civilizations however there is still so much more left to be found. With a structure that large it is really amazing.

E

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

I'm glad you appreciate it!

reply to post by haarvik

That is a good question that a lot of other people, including myself, asked upon reading the news about a month ago. But I don't want to start a discussion about that in this thread. You can check out the thread here if you'd like.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by haarvik
reply to post by Droogie

Just a month ago the tomb of disciple St Philippus was found in Turkey

And how do they know this is his tomb? Did someone engrave his name in the tomb, stating he was a disciple?

It's on Fox News - so it must be true

new topics

top topics

join