It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

15 arrested in N.Y. Playland melee over head scarves

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

RYE, N.Y. – Two people were charged with felony assault and two police rangers were injured during a melee that broke out Tuesday at Playland Amusement Park when Muslim visitors became angry that the park was enforcing its ban on headgear by prohibiting the women from wearing their traditional head coverings on some rides.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 31-8-2011 by haarvik because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Now we have them over here not willing to abide by rules that are enacted for safety reasons. If you don't want to follow the rules, don't go. I am amazed at how people feel they are "exempt" from rules just because they are either a minority or different. If I don't like the rules an establishment has, I just don't patronize them, simple as that.

Here's a novel idea, let them rent the park for a day, sign waivers for the safety, and let them ride. If they die because of the attire, so be it. Would serve them right!

It appears to me as though the organizers purposely failed to tell the attendees about the ban, hoping to incite violence.

Brooklyn resident Amr Khater, who had come to the park about noon with his family, said his family was told about the hijab rule by park employees when they arrived.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

Yep, suppose they were allowed to wear the gear, and then a scarf became tangled in some gears and mechanical parts and someone's head got ripped off. You think they would still sue? Of course they would! Also, what if an American girl went into Iran and walked around in a Bikini all day, you think they would make her cover up? Of course they would.

Rules are rules. Either follow them, or find somewhere else to go.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Rofl! I never thought of the bikini angle, good point! It's amazing to me how many people come to our country and expect us to bend our rules and traditions for them, but go to their country and they don't budge an inch!

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Expect cultural confrontations to only get more frequent as more and more political refugees arrive due to Americas wars in the ME. Just like The huge influx of Vietnamese after that war.

Invade a country, blow it up, wreak the infrastructure and expect to eventually pay the price not only monetarily but culturally.

You reap what you sow.
edit on 31-8-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

Here in the UK the largest parks have these Islamic only days that serve only the right food, dress codes must be abided to and they say that anyone is welcome! Well if you want to act like everyone is welcome then why not serve 'normal' food as well and let people dress how they want according to their beliefs? Sure the kitchens might have to limit their menu not being able to cook the food side by side, but excluding all normal food is mad. Can you imagine is they had a Christian day where they excluded Halal food and said that you must wear smart western clothes? They would go crazy! I don't get how they are offended by peoples dress sense as they see it everyday anyway and if it offends them then why do they worry? You have to live in this country anyway its no use pretending you don't and if it makes them feel uncomfortable then they need to accept that its a multi-cultural society and they must respect people who have different beliefs.

Sorry if this is a bit of topic but I don't get why they want to come to a country and then try and segregate themselves from the native population acting like there is something wrong with us? They are saying how dare you have these regulations that don't permit a minorities dress code, even though its your right to under the law you are still wrong because where we come from this is not the case! Well buddy you are in a different country with a different culture and beliefs, you can't just assume that a totally different country will be the same.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

Not to compare Islam with Judaism, but I don't think that Jew's would have complained about the rules. Rather than remove their kippa or Yarmulke (yah-me-ke) they simply wouldn't have gotten on the ride. I can't believe that Jewish individuals would have rioted/protested.

(But never discount the Jewish people when it comes to a fight. Just look at Israel's military, they are hard-core and definitely top five on the list of "don't-want-to-fight-them". For older referances of Judaism's military prowess randomly open the Old Testament.)

A better analogy might be the way that wheelchair bound individuals ride in the back of the bus. It's not a Rosa Parks type incident, its just that the facilities for securing a wheelchair are located in the back.

I understand that muslim's and middle easterners feel they are being singled out, especially during this decade following Nine-Eleven, but in this case you are correct haarvik. The rules against loose clothing and headgear were enacted for safety. And, they were only enacted following a deadly accident.

For a change I don't see prejudice or racism in these rules. So for a change I can say...
"Shame on you protestors, you are giving your religion a bad name."

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
This will never end. The Jihad proceeds at all levels, in all places, at all times.

The muslims MUST attempt to force the non-muslims into submission. The non-muslim must always be made to submit to the demands of the muslims. The muslims are ALWAYS the victims of the non-muslims.

Here are some code words employed by muslims to conceal Jihad:
Multiculturalism
Coexist
Interfaith Dialog
Community Outreach Program
Bridge Building

The only method of exposing and eliminating the deception and destruction of Islamic culture is to stand up to the enemy and outlaw Islam, close all mosques, deport all muslims.

Muslims are not in America to participate in our culture, they are here to replace it. With Islam. Through Jihad. As instructed by their warlord leader, Mohammed. In praise of their deity, allah.

Remember the children of Beslan.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Kicking2bears

I think the problem is that there are a minority of people who believe that they are superior as they see Islam as the correct religion and resent people who they see as being wrong telling them what to do We just always have to remember this is the minority, the majority are not like this at all.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
They could always go back to where they came from and go to Camel Land and ride dune buggies and sand board all day. Then they don't have to worry about the head coverings getting caught on a roller coaster and ripping their heads off. If you don't want to follow the rules of an establishment, don't go in. It is a private company and they are not beholden to sharia laws. They can get over it.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by clintdelicious

Britain in going to become Islamic. Not much can be done at this point. Too many have submitted to the Jihad and are well-conditioned to accept their status as dhimmis. They wallow in their submission to an inferior culture and think themselves better for it.

Unless British culture is defended and advanced at the expense of Islamic culture, the result is inevitable: more Islam.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
They's got to be the "hard core" Musklims that am doing this!

My neibor across the street is a musklim..and drinks heiniken...

I walked over last weekend and chewed the rag with him (I was drinking a miller)
and just normal talk and goofing.

We's just gots to enforce rules on everybody ..keep tings even.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Expect cultural confrontations to only get more frequent as more and more political refugees arrive due to Americas wars in the ME. Just like The huge influx of Vietnamese after that war.

Invade a country, blow it up, wreak the infrastructure and expect to eventually pay the price not only monetarily but culturally.

You reap what you sow.
edit on 31-8-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)
You have a very good point, backed up by actual real life evidence.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by clintdelicious
reply to post by haarvik

Here in the UK the largest parks have these Islamic only days that serve only the right food, dress codes must be abided to and they say that anyone is welcome! Well if you want to act like everyone is welcome then why not serve 'normal' food as well and let people dress how they want according to their beliefs? Sure the kitchens might have to limit their menu not being able to cook the food side by side, but excluding all normal food is mad. Can you imagine is they had a Christian day where they excluded Halal food and said that you must wear smart western clothes? They would go crazy! I don't get how they are offended by peoples dress sense as they see it everyday anyway and if it offends them then why do they worry? You have to live in this country anyway its no use pretending you don't and if it makes them feel uncomfortable then they need to accept that its a multi-cultural society and they must respect people who have different beliefs.

Sorry if this is a bit of topic but I don't get why they want to come to a country and then try and segregate themselves from the native population acting like there is something wrong with us? They are saying how dare you have these regulations that don't permit a minorities dress code, even though its your right to under the law you are still wrong because where we come from this is not the case! Well buddy you are in a different country with a different culture and beliefs, you can't just assume that a totally different country will be the same.

Just my view based on my observation, but in the USA, we have a large Hispanic population, I don't know their legal status, but so many, I think most, do not want to, or make any effort to assimilate, nor do they learn the language, I am not sure if they get government handouts. But the impression I get from them, and what I hear and read of the Islamic people, is it seems they want to turn their host nation into one just like the one they left, meaning instead of being assimilated members of the country they live in now, they try to implant the country they left onto their new place of residence, by refusing to assimilate, learn the language, or expect to abide by the laws and culture, and I think our Governments facilitate this and gives them money.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Too bad the Jihad exists and operates independently of the cultures it seeks to convert.

The Jihad existed long before America existed.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by haarvik
reply to post by getreadyalready

Rofl! I never thought of the bikini angle, good point! It's amazing to me how many people come to our country and expect us to bend our rules and traditions for them, but go to their country and they don't budge an inch!

I see no issues with these women removing the hijabs or whatever. As you stated it's a safety issue & if one of
them got injured or killed, you can bet roller coasters will be deemed racist. They need to be reminded of that woman that broke her neck last year in Australia on a go cart track when her scarf got caught on the axle.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I actually hesitated before posting this as I didn't want it to become a racist based thread as I have seen other ones become. It is simply an example of a minority group unwilling to coexist with the rules the rest of the populace has to abide by, period. I hope it stays on track.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by mike_trivisonno

Too bad the Jihad exists and operates independently of the cultures it seeks to convert.

Yes, indeed.

At least it operates independently of the majority of the Muslim community. I would hate to see what the world would be if all Muslims were of a like mind.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Whenever I travel I have to abide by that Country's Laws and Rules. I also try to learn from their culture while I'm at it.

I lived and traveled in Asia for almost 8 years and not once did I attempt to change a law because I didn't agree with it.

This is the one instance back in the 90's that made me see what was really coming. He was allowed to come in to a new Country (Canada) and change OUR Culture & Tradition, not just a law...because of HIS Culture & Tradition.

Sikh Mounties permitted to wear turbans Broadcast Date: March 15, 1990
archives.cbc.ca...

When Baltej Singh Dhillon was accepted into the RCMP, he faced a choice — serving his country or wearing his turban. He chose to fight for his religious rights. In 1990, the federal government finally removes the ban preventing Sikhs in the RCMP from wearing turbans.

The decision is not without its protestors, but as Dhillon says in this CBC Television clip, "I'm willing to look these people in the eye and tell them that I'm no different from them." It was in April 1989 that the RCMP commissioner recommended the prohibition against turbans be lifted. Almost a year later, Solicitor General Pierre Cadieux gives his ruling to allow turbans. During the intervening year, protests had gathered steam.

Herman Bittner, who created an unflattering calendar to protest the move, says in an interview, "Am I really a racist, or am I standing up and trying to save something that you know can be lost forever?"

edit on 31-8-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
this reminds me of the sikhs demanding right to NOT wear an approved helmet to protect the head while on the road

they both involve safety issues.

a sikh biker runs into your car and dies from head trauma cuz they weren't wearin a helmet then family sues you for wrongful death or whatever. probably wouldnt have died if protection was worn. who's at fault? the risktaker.

a hijabi takes your ride, scarf length gets caught in ferris wheel and she's decapitated. family sues you for wrongful death. probably wouldnt have got caught & died if not wearing risky attire for amusement park.

the former case is harder to make, the latter is easier cuz a independent business should be able to have a solid sign of prohibited risky attire to turn people away regardless of ethnic or religious dimensions.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join