It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gibson CEO responds to FBI raid

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

In case you hadn't heard, Gibson guitars was raided by the FBI (again) recently. They are currently involved in a court case involving importation of ebony and rosewood, which virtually all guitar necks and fretboards are made from.

In this small press conference the CEO of Gibson says he has seen no paperwork, no warrant, and no reason for the raid. He says the feds have been very tight lipped about the whole ordeal. This is important because Gibson is one of Americas best remaining manufacturers. They are world renowned and revered for their craftsmanship. The video is pretty informative and worth a watch.

Thanks.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
wow now thay are messing whith our music!
you can regulate the food
regulated crops
regulate travel
regulate taxation
but keep your ----ing hands off our MUSIC!!!
i feel thay have crossed the line and this is the straw that broke my dang back
off to protest somthing Anything at this point wish me luck(stomps away)
~Jplays(a gibson)guitar
edit on 31-8-2011 by jplaysguitar because: jaming out whith my gibson hallow body cutaway come get it PUNKs!!

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Yeah, Joe Bonamassa posted this to his facebook page today:

The multiple raids on my alma mater Gibson guitars is so wrong it is criminal. I am not a political person.. But President Obama.. Leave Gibson alone.. This company is rarer than a original 59 Les Paul... Why? The guitars are made in AMERICA!!!

Looks like I'll be buying some of his albums.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I'm a Fender guy myself.
It's going to be interesting watching the left wing musicians start going after Obama.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
If this pushes the price of Gibsons up I'm going to be devastated! They cost so much where I live and I've been dreaming of a cherry red 335 my entire life! Maybe I will have to hang in there on the Les paul....

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
If Gibson are actually importing illegal hardwoods then it would be a good thing if they were held accountable. And musicians need to have a think about the the fact that their instruments are often made using rain-forest woods. It's just one of those unexamined practices that needs...well...examining.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwiffler

But if they sang and played songs about saving the rain forest, that should at least be an equalizer.

Come on now, the only reason Obama is going after Gibson is because the company contributes to Republican candidates.
This is a freakin' witch hunt and Gibson is in the cross hairs.
Notice how Obama is not going after Martin, they use the same wood too, only difference is Martin contributesto left wing candidates.

Something not right about this.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

My friend, while you are a well known "righty" here, what you say seems to be true from my experience.

This is something worthy of tracking. It is "Chicago-style" politcs at its worst.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro

But if they sang and played songs about saving the rain forest, that should at least be an equalizer.

Come on now, the only reason Obama is going after Gibson is because the company contributes to Republican candidates.
This is a freakin' witch hunt and Gibson is in the cross hairs.
Notice how Obama is not going after Martin, they use the same wood too, only difference is Martin contributesto left wing candidates.

Something not right about this.

I agree, something's not right. According to the following article, Martin uses the same exact wood, but they haven't been raided. From the article:

"...One of Gibson’s leading competitors is C.F. Martin & Company. The C.E.O., Chris Martin IV, is a long-time Democratic supporter, with $35,400 in contributions to Democratic candidates and the DNC over the past couple of elections (though, to be fair, he did donate a whopping $750 to Republican Congressmen in the 90s.) According to C.F. Martin’s catalog, several of their guitars contain “East Indian Rosewood.” In case you were wondering, that is the exact same wood in at least ten of Gibson’s guitars..."

bighollywood.breitbart.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

The problem in their court case isn't about illegal wood it's about an obscure law involving unions and there was also mention of a law in India (where they buy the wood from) that the neck must be manufactured in India before shipped. If Gibson was receiving the necks before they were assembled then it might be illegal. As far as Gibson knows, everything was legal and fine though. It has nothing to do with conservation, or deforestation, or even endangered species of trees. Many, many, luthiers get their ebony and rosewood from India and none of them have a problem. These woods have to pass through U.S. and Indian customs checks before they are admitted to the country. It's not an issue of illegal woods.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

then the obvious question is, what is the issue?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
That truly is the question. The issue being, why were they raided? The Feds showed no warrant, gave no warning etc.
The lacey act (I'm sorry, I was wrong) does involve endangered species. However, Gibson quit importing wood from Madagascar in 2009 making this raid redundant. Apparently the act is extremely vague and can be used as a killall for a prosecutor.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

It's bureaucracy and probably Chicago style politics driven. Gibson is not trying to pull a fast one. They don't need to and they certainly don't want to tarnish their name. So, seeing that the FBI actually did raid them (no warrant?) I believe someone is out for them. Because the issues that are being reported are issues that could be fixed in-house and are small technicality's. Dotting the i's and crossing the t's.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Stella Lotus

Yeah, I'm going to err on the side of the manufacturer here. And I play a Hagstrom

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Let it be known that any person attempting to forcefully enter my house without a warrant will be attacked with everything I have.

I may end up dead from police, like that poor ex--Marine in Arizona. But I can't think of any way I could control myself.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

And that dude in virginia.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
We have people that don't like us and would blow us all up for being the "great satan....

So the FBI raids a guitar factory over wood.

We have the real threat of a drug cartel over throwing our neighboring govt. in Mexico... countless decapitated bodies showing up on both sides of the border...

The Chinese are building up their military forces at an exponential rate... at a rate of 18% increase budget annually... conducting cyber warfare...

Our country has recently suffered earthquakes, severe droughts, floods of rivers and oceans, hurricanes, on the verge of financial collapse...

We have out of the thousands of immigrants flooding into the country... several repeat felons and hardened criminals that do not have the best intentions when entering our borders...

We have hardened gangs roaming the streets of America... basically recreating a feudal warlord state block by city block...

Thank God the FBI, the TSA, the CIA, the FDA have all of their priorities straight...

The USA is literally going to Hell and our government is raiding American owned guitar factories, Amish dairy farms, and taking out mentally handicapped flyers in wheel chairs before they board flights....

I always wondered what it looked like to see Rome fall from within...now I know.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

The real issue is this, The Obama “Jobs Jobs Jobs” Administration Tells Gibson Guitars To Move Its Manufacturing Overseas

CHRIS DANIEL: Mr. Juszkiewicz, did an agent of the US government suggest to you that your problems would go away if you used Madagascar labor instead of American labor?

HENRY JUSZKIEWICZ: They actually wrote that in a pleading.

CHRIS DANIEL: Excuse me?

HENRY JUSKIEWICZ: They actually wrote that it a pleading.

CHRIS DANIEL: That your problems would go away if you used Madagascar labor instead of our labor?

HENRY JUSKIEWICZ: Yes

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Wow. I wonder how Obama supporters, the few left, will justify this to make their kool aid taste sweeter?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

You couldn't be more spot on. You are going to see alot more of this as the globalists try to put the cork in American domestic businesses for good.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join