It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deny ignorance?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
A few days ago a member started a thread. He suggested to open a new forum for small lights in the night sky because he was fed up watching so called ufo videos which turns out to be small lights in the sky / chinese laterns.

Now here are my thoughts:
If you put Aliens and Unidentified Flying objects together in one forum how can you deny ignorance?
How can you connect Aliens with flying objects without any proof they are extraterrestrial spaceships?
Please do NOT state all those known cases and evidences, I know them. And yes - there are some interesting and fascinating things that might make you believe that some of those ufos are et spaceships.
But what about the rest (which makes the biggest part)?

Even in the A&U Forum there is a thread about what you might have seen! (stars, blimbs, venus, laterns, whatever)
Thats like putting the 2012 forum together with fragile earth because some might think the climate change or vulcano eruptions are caused by planet x or some other bs...

So what you think? Is it the right way to say: unidentified flying object = alien spaceship ?
Is that denying ignorance?

rocket88

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by rocket88

As aliens are as unlikely to exist as alien ships they belong together!

imo

I have seen ufo's myself during the day and it wasn't a light it was a white/shiny orb object.....but it don't mean a thing really as i never saw who or what was operating it!
edit on 31-8-2011 by zerozero00 because: to be more specific

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

A UFO is simply an unidentified flying object. It could range from a bug, bird or frisbee to an alien spacecraft. Those who suggest that a UFO is an extra terrestrial flying craft by default are ignorant and uneducated. Unfortunately for the U&A forum, we see more and more of it. You can blame Hollywood and the MSM for instilling it into the collective consciousness but at the end of the day, we are all responsible for our own education.

IRM

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by rocket88
So what you think? Is it the right way to say: unidentified flying object = alien spaceship ?
Is that denying ignorance?

Arbitrarily labeling the unknown as anything other than unknown is, indeed, an ignorant thing to do.
Happens all the time, though.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
From what I learned in ATS school class: UFOs101
UFO unidentified flying objects can be native to Earth (secret military craft) or non native (unknowns) and Unidentified spacecraft are non native to Earth.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Hollywood and MSM...

I think its the other way round. Movies are being made because of cultural influences / trends.
Producers realize that people are in some kind of topic and the only thing to do is make a movie about it.
It´s strictly business!

And Aliens in the MSM? Never heard of that!!! Well not really! Especially not in Europe.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by zerozero00

uhm... no...

probability of alien life is enormous, the probability of that alien life visiting us are slim to none.
so your statement is false in a sense.

just needed to point that out.

sorry, i´m picky

ontopic:

i agree with subject x, he said it best.

(2 posts above me, i believe)

Star for op and subject

edit on 31-8-2011 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by kn0wh0w

Originally posted by zerozero00

uhm... no...

probability of alien life is enormous, the probability of that alien life visiting us are slim to none.
so your statement is false in a sense.

just needed to point that out.

sorry, i´m picky

Fair point made!

I should maybe rephrase that to say!!

As Aliens are as unlikely to visit earth as UFO's are unlikely being flown by aliens then they belong together!

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

you say: ufos = manmade or extraterrestrial

manmade is not just black military projects. it´s also: satellites, laterns, rc planes, planes, ...

not manmade ist not equal to et spaceships! holy shoe!
the venus is not a spacecraft and meteors aren´t too!

And just because it is identified as not manmade for whatever reasons doesnt mean its et!
And just because it is identified as et for whatever reasons doesn´t mean its a spacecraft!

It´s a freakin NOT identified object and nothing else!!!

edit on 31-8-2011 by Asktheanimals because: personal comment removed

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Ignorance is a relative term.
Due to the root cause of Ignorance being the lack of knowledge,
The only way in which to deny ignorance is by gaining knowledge.

Some of us are here to share our experiences with various phenomenon and hence contributing to the gaining of knowledge.

Do we have all of the answers ?
NO.

But in solving any problem we start with What we already do know ?

We know that there is a concerted effort to quell the knowledge of the subject.
And ridicule those that believe in the possibility of UFO's belonging to Aliens.

But some of us don't care what others think...because the only way in which to deny ignorance is via gaining of knowledge.

And that is what we are here to share on ATS. Or at least some of us that is....

Others want to rant based upon baseless opinions with the intent of beckoning more sheep to follow their lead out of fear of ridicule.
Sorry but I am not a follower, a joiner or a member of the Sheepish Citizens of America.

And couldn't care less what someone's baseless opinion of me is.

Have a good Rant.....a good Baseless Rant !

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

It´s a freakin NOT identified object and nothing else!!!

Don't you mean Unidentified Object or Unidentified Flying Object

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by nh_ee

Some of us are here to share our experiences with various phenomenon and hence contributing to the gaining of knowledge.

Like so many before you, you are confusing speculative opinion with fact. Without empirical evidence, we have no knowledge to build a truth upon. Our experiences pass through too many filters to be considered reliable. That's why witness testimony in regards to UFO's or the paranormal isn't worth a pinch of salt.

IRM

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by CynicalWabbit

yep thats what i ment! depending if the spaceship has already landed or not...

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by nh_ee

Do we have all of the answers ?
NO.

But in solving any problem we start with What we already do know ?

We know that there is a concerted effort to quell the knowledge of the subject.
And ridicule those that believe in the possibility of UFO's belonging to Aliens.

But some of us don't care what others think...because the only way in which to deny ignorance is via gaining of knowledge.

And that is what we are here to share on ATS. Or at least some of us that is....

Others want to rant based upon baseless opinions with the intent of beckoning more sheep to follow their lead out of fear of ridicule.
Sorry but I am not a follower, a joiner or a member of the Sheepish Citizens of America.

And couldn't care less what someone's baseless opinion of me is.

Have a good Rant.....a good Baseless Rant !

Words of a true believer!

This has nothing to do with the problem i tried to point out...
You ain´t a sheep? Good for you! Me neither...

Denying Ignorance via gaining knowledge? You mean like identifing a ufo as a chinese latern? Yep! True!

It was not my point to ridicule anyone. I was just wondering why you put unidentified flying objects togehter with aliens...

Today we know better than ever that "aliens"/ extraterrestrial life is possible on thousands of planets (or more).
But to claim that every "chinese latern" (word can be replaced by any reasonable explanation) is controlled by high technology aliens is a bit to much...

(Sorry for bad english. Not american sheep
)
edit on 31-8-2011 by rocket88 because: not being a sheep

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Deny ignorance?

UFO - Unidentified Flying Object

Chinese Lantern - Identified Object

Expert - Someone claims the credentials to identify and speak to a given subject with the authority that comes from BOTH experience and formal education.

The problem with all of this is that we have been groomed to accept expertise wherever it is claimed, by whomever claims it. As such, if a video arrives of lights in the sky and somebody comes around and tells us that it's Chinese lanterns, we immediately buy off on it and change the channel.

Hey, nobody like to be fooled but... I'd rather risk being wrong that way than just bite on someone else's mistake.

As I have mentioned here before, there are no experts in the field of understanding UFOs. This is because our government denies interest, our mainstream science eagerly ignores it and the media/press ridicules stories and witnesses. The result has been predictable; the whole subject of aerial phenomena has been run underground.

Here in the caves, we are left with only opinions, not truths or facts... but are regularly asked to accept the declarations of people who claim expertise that have no means to it.

ATS is a great place to come and discuss the subject matter in general, but it chokes on its own logo, 'Deny Ignorance' because images and videos and just plain old word-of-mouth sighting reports can be, and often are, tossed into their [HOAX] category. Once there, most buy the tagline and forget the whole thing.

Just because TPTB here on this website say something is a hoax, does not necessarily make it so. And this is not to say that they don't get it right most of the time. They probably in fact do. But the choice for that labeling should be yours to make on a personal level. ATS has a lot of learned people holding various spots within the community. But because of the very nature of the subject matter, it is completely contrary to logic, and the denial of ignorance, to accept an opinion as being concrete truth on anything... especially UFOs.

Again, you simply cannot claim expertise in any subject that is by definition, an unknown.

So, to create yet another subdivision for what some may identify as Chinese lanterns or simply 'lights in the sky' would be yet another insult to that concept of denying ignorance... which is already pretty beat up.

It is just my opinion but, to deny ignorance here in a place where nearly all the subject matter... except for politics, maybe, is fringe in nature and unknown at best, is to leave it as pristine and unmolested as possible. This allows the individual mind to work to sort the facts and form their own, unique conclusions.

From there, the debate can actually begin...

That's my dime.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

No idea.....

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt

Just because TPTB here on this website say something is a hoax, does not necessarily make it so. And this is not to say that they don't get it right most of the time. They probably in fact do. But the choice for that labeling should be yours to make on a personal level. ATS has a lot of learned people holding various spots within the community. But because of the very nature of the subject matter, it is completely contrary to logic, and the denial of ignorance, to accept an opinion as being concrete truth on anything... especially UFOs.

And that´s why UFOs and Alien doesnt necessarily belong together.

There might be thousands of unknown explanations for this aerial phenomenon so why label it with alien?
I hope you get my point...

Thanks for your post!

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
As much as we want to sound sane by making excuses of not denying UFOs by saying - 'UFOs exist but I dont think they are aliens' fact is you are being hypocrites because you know that when you say UFO you mean also alien. There has been many cases including the Rednlesham forest incident where the witnesses have come across a craft with unknown symbols, so UFOs have a lot in common to think of aliens but some of you are just HYPPOS that's right!

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by nh_ee

Well said.

* for you!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Why many people suggest a few UFO's are alien ships is because in their opinion the ET hypothesis is the best explanation for the sightings.

It is not ignorant to (after an investigation) conclude that the most likely explanation is ET.

It IS ignorant to see a light in the sky and instantly believe it's an alien space craft. First all 'regular' explanations must be explored and disproved before ET can even be considered.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join