It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human or human?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
For 3 novels I have capitalized my alien races. Now that I'm finally about to send the first off to agents, I have made several small but important changes, and I am wondering if this capitalization should be one. I would like some opinions first, though.

I am aware that at present we do not capitalize 'human' any more than we do cat, dog, horse, worm. However, we do capitalize French, German, Irish, etc, and to me, when the galaxy is a community of many alien races, it would be closer to the latter.

I know ultimately it is a matter of personal preference and it's up to me and what I want, but I'd like to know what others think. So capitalized or not? Human or human?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowArcher

I also think the word human should be capitalized in the context you are using it. Are all the other races humaniod? Will this make a difference? Humanoid should not be capitalized or maybe it should. I would pick up some science fiction already accepted and use whatever usage seems to be the norm. Or you can assume creative license and change it. Most important thing is for you to finish up and mail it.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Perhaps Human, because it could give a sense of disgust when other alien races say it in conversation. Giving the reader this impression.

If that's what you mean, lol if not just ignore

ta

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I think humanoid should be lower case, though I can't quite put into words my reason for that.

I mean in general narrative, as well as dialogue. But yes, I can have aliens refer to them with a lower case H if they dislike them.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

I have taken to capping ALL My pronouns that relate to Humans. And I say "Human" is correct. We are Human Beings.

My view. [smile]

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I remember reading a book which had the races lower case, and it just seemed weird; not right at all. But when I do it in my own work, it looks more professional somehow. I'm leaning more to keeping it capitalized though.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Mine is a professional opinion. Keep it lowercase. I think you’ll find the Chicago Manual of Style agrees.

If you capitalize ‘human’ to keep the format in line with Martians or Andromedans or whatever, you will then have to capitalize the word in sentences like ‘That’s just Human nature’ or ‘It’s not Humanly possible’, which looks odd and suggests you’re trying to make some sort of point when you probably aren’t.

You could go for an inconsistent usage, capitalizing in the appropriate contexts but leaving the lower-case form for general usages such as the above. I seriously recommend you don’t do that because, between you, the editor, the typesetter and the proofreader, mistakes will be made and the whole system will become a mess.

Stick to lowercase. You’ll thank me for suggesting it.

new topics

top topics

join