It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The saying "History repeats itself" a current events commentary/rant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Now I wasn't born in the time I'm about to talk about. So I'm using second hand information considering I wasn't around during Vietnam.

Anyways why is it that it feels like the same mind set from the Vietnam era is returning? I listen to songs from the 60s such as "Eve of Destruction" and see creepy similarities to today's current situations. Have things really just not changed? Or is history repeating itself? I can't be sure which one it is but I know it's one of the two.

It kind of creeps me out. I rant and rave daily about how bad my government is and how we're in unjustifiable wars and think how similar it is to the things I've learned about the Vietnam era. Are we on the brink of the same mind set or worse?

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Different deal today my friend, Vietnam was fought with a drafted army unlike today's "wars" that are fought with a private army, mercenaries would be the technical term. People got involved in the Vietnam war because their sons where being killed or maimed. Today is a different story, the people fighting choose to go, they are paid, many of them very well to do what they do. It takes the public awareness away from the front line, people just don't care unless it's their son or daughter. During the Vietnam era there was also what is referred to as a youth movement, this youth movement had students expanding their minds in many ways, one of them being political, this resulted in a very large group of people that knew what was going on. Look at the youth of today....this is not the case, not even close. So to answer your question, no, very different times all together.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by discharged77

However the main difference is that there is no draft. That's the main difference in my opinion. Obviously I could be wrong. It's just something that I've been accused of in my arguments with people. Someone yelled at me something like "You were the type to call soldiers baby Killers back in Vietnam."

I think the mindset is similar with the people involved. Maybe it's just the peace movement being revived.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by drew1749

Its even more than the fact that we are an all mercenary military. People have been brainwashed and its is very creepy.

Neo-Amerika - Zieg Hiel!

top topics

join