It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Lead Global Warming Scientist James Hansen Arrested!!!111

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeoVain
Lol he was sarcastic about the entire article, glad you finally caught on at least that part of it.

Yeah I guess I should come clean about that. Anyone who's seen my posting history knows which side I'm really on.

To anyone else wondering though - this part was especially tongue in cheek:

even though we're just emerging from an ice age, it's actually cooling, all the other planets in the solar system are heating up, one volcano releases more CO2 than humans ever have, carbon is only 0.0000000001% of the atmosphere, and it's the air we breathe, and it's good for plants.

I have had these same memes thrown in my face so many times it hurts just thinking about it. All of them are false and all of them are thoroughly debunked here:

Global Warming & Climate Change Myths

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
You were convincing -- the faux indignation was loud and believable the intent was subtle. It amazes me when satire is so close to reality they two are hard to tell apart -- skeery
edit on 30-8-2011 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
So it's ok for power and oil companies to destroy our environment? I like having clean water and good air to breathe. Yes the carbon tax is BS but if it forces these destroyers of nature to stop dumping their pollution into the environment then it's a good thing.

If you believe this, why the hell do you have a ron paul avatar? You realize what his ideas on the EPA and other government agencies is right? He would try to repeal legislation holding up pollution standards with the excuse of "government interference and corruption".

People are really knee jerking in terms of Ron Paul, everyone thinks he is going ot be this savior and they dont even know what he believes.

EDIT: sorry to go a little off topic there mc_squared, this is a great post, you played the part VERY well...almost TOO well

edit on 30-8-2011 by aching_knuckles because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
You should see all the stuff RP supports that no one ever talks about.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by spyder550
You were convincing -- the faux indignation was loud and believable the intent was subtle. It amazes me when satire is so close to reality they two are hard to tell apart -- skeery

Yup and that was kinda my point

There is so much propaganda infused into the public debate over the environment these days, people often lose sight of basic reason and common sense because of all the shouting and hand-waving going on.

I know James Hansen is a favorite target of the denier crowd, and I wanted to see if I made some sensational headline about him getting arrested - if anyone would jump on the hate wagon without even stopping to consider what he was actually arrested for (i.e. standing up for a good cause and having the integrity to FIGHT for what he believes in).

So even though some of you may have been fooled by my sarcasm, the fact that you all turned on me for talking like a total moron (instead of picking up the pitchfork and joining in) means you still passed the test
Thank god lol

That makes me feel good about ATS, but take note how other places around the net are reacting to this news:

At climatedepot.com - a "skeptic" website that is a project of CFACT (who receive all sorts of funding from ExxonMobil) - they had this to say about it:

Grab the popcorn! Watch Video of NASA's maudlin chief warmist James Hansen get handcuffed in attempt to prevent Americans from getting energy!

Yes that's right - this drama queen scientist is just trying to prevent hard-working Americans from getting energy! What a crook I tells ya.

Likewise go over to wattsupwithat.com, and read the 100+ comments talking about what a loon and an embarassment this guy is - and how stupid his hat looks.

Sadly this time it's not satire. These people are such sheep it's not even close to being funny.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Darryl Hannah was also arrested.

xfinity.comcast.net...

521 people were arrested.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles
EDIT: sorry to go a little off topic there mc_squared, this is a great post, you played the part VERY well...almost TOO well

I've had so much experience dealing with these sort of insane comments myself it almost comes natural at this point I guess.

It's funny also just how much these people often project themselves onto others without ever realizing it. Can't tell you how many times I've met someone like this:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4229d18e5538.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by mc_squared

Love the cartoon, it fits. Sometimes I do not even like to comment, because I do not want to do the whole arguing about climate change thing, no time for that.

Your OP had me wondering there for a moment, thought maybe you switched to the other side.
Why do we need to choose sides anyway? What happened to common sense? Anyone who looks at those photos and reads the information should realize this is not good for anyone. What will this area look like in ten years, well I do not want to know. It is good to see people speaking out, and I hope that maybe it will cause others to pay attention to what is happening.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by mc_squared

Wow, what a biased post. I don't know where to begin.

But I will say that I think your comment about him being an alarmist reflected back onto you when you accused him of working for the "global government" that want to "enslave us".

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
If you do some research on the authoritarian personality -- particularly the authoritarian personality in politics -- it will lead to some insight why people are so easily sucked into anti science.. The correlations between the Tea Party and the authoritarian personality are interesting and spot on as far as my experience with Georgia Tea Partiers .

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by spyder550
Sometimes you do what your heart says is right - I was arrested in a protest in Nebraska after the National guard fired on the students at Kent state, my father would not speak to me for years - but I did the right thing. So did this guy.

Cant believe you would really say this --

"Sure it recklessly destroys the environment and pollutes our rivers, but it creates JOBS people!! "

My bet is you never even heard of the Cuyahoga river -- thats what it was like before the country decide it should manage things better -- How about Love Canal ever heard of that -- it made jobs too.

Fool you have no idea what you are talking about

Wait a minute I see what you did there -- got me Flag On

Lol he was sarcastic about the entire article, glad you finally caught on at least that part of it.

Proof for that he was sarcastic can be seen at many places, among where he says that the global temperature has actually gone down the last few years, which can clearly be verified to be wrong by looking at this chart over the global temperature averages for the last 100 years. Note the increase since the start of the industrial age, where coal burning and oil where used in greater quantities than ever before. en.wikipedia.org...:Instrumental_Temperature_Record_(NASA).svg

edit on 30-8-2011 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-8-2011 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

You are soooooo wrong.

Ever read Time Magazine from the 1970's?
Another Ice Age?
Monday, June 24, 1974
www.time.com...

Telltale signs are everywhere — from the unexpected persistence and thickness of pack ice in the waters around Iceland to the southward migration of a warmth-loving creature like the armadillo from the Midwest.Since the 1940s the mean global temperature has dropped about 2.7° F. Although that figure is at best an estimate, it is supported by other convincing data. When Climatologist George J. Kukla of Columbia University's Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory and his wife Helena analyzed satellite weather data for the Northern Hemisphere, they found that the area of the ice and snow cover had suddenly increased by 12% in 1971 and the increase has persisted ever since. Areas of Baffin Island in the Canadian Arctic, for example, were once totally free of any snow in summer; now they are covered year round.

As you can see respected scientists discredit your global warming temps since the industrial age.

Thank you come again

Global warming alarmists where you at?
edit on 31-8-2011 by MasterGemini because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by mc_squared

Yeah I guess I should come clean about that. Anyone who's seen my posting history knows which side I'm really on.

To anyone else wondering though - this part was especially tongue in cheek:

even though we're just emerging from an ice age, it's actually cooling, all the other planets in the solar system are heating up, one volcano releases more CO2 than humans ever have, carbon is only 0.0000000001% of the atmosphere, and it's the air we breathe, and it's good for plants.

I have had these same memes thrown in my face so many times it hurts just thinking about it. All of them are false and all of them are thoroughly debunked here:

Global Warming & Climate Change Myths

MC you did not answer me last time about all this rubbish your proporting when I called you out! Your lame examples you attempted to present while TOTALLY ignoring the now ever growing din of discontent by true Physicist using real Climate research who are contended for us with the hockey stick 'scientists' bad science. You have lost the debate and the details. So now your, like Hitler's henchmen, carrying on anyway with the false version of reality you wish perpetrated on your fellow man. BS MC.
edit on 31-8-2011 by Justoneman because: Needed tweakin'

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
For those who don't know me, I am against big oil and I would AGREE with preventing this crap too. I want renewable energy and have seen it working firsthand at Middle TN State U. I have researched the Joseph Newman Device and find it needing a backer last century and still. I know in my heart that great ideas, ones that would free us all from the yoke of the copper wires and meters to measure our expense, have been denied us left and right. Hockey stick lies about climate are making this harder for us all, fact.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by felonius

Good post. But my other worry is what will happen if we decide NOT to develop the tar sands? What are our alternatives? I'm not convinced we even have any. And that bothers me a lot more.

We use coal and drill for oil because it's the best most effective method right now. Not because it's the dirtiest. If you take any of these other alternatives and then scale them up, they'll be dirty too and quite a bit more expensive than what we presently for our energy needs.

Nuclear is probably our best chance if we're determined to choke the oil companies. But anything else is just a pipe dream. Even nuclear is a pipe dream right now, considering the circumstances.

People want their cake and they want to eat it too. That's not how it's though. Putting on a show and having temper tantrums is childish. It won't resolve this. Fossil fuel is not THAT bad.

Over the past 10 years they've been cleaning up coal. How come I never hear about that? It's because there's an agenda. There's an anti-fossil fuel faction. The Al Gore type, you know.

He doth protest too much:
www.thestar.com ...

Despite its title – Our Choice – Gore argues that humans really have no option but to stop treating the atmosphere as "an open sewer."

"It sounds absurdly difficult," he said, "but we really have no choice."
Ahh, yes. No choice. He's got us at gun point.

www.digitaljournal.com ...

What he isn't telling you, however, is that he purchases those carbon credits from Generation Investment Management, a company that is actually partially owned and chaired by Gore himself.

Gore has built a "green money-making machine capable of eventually generating billions of dollars for investors, including himself, but he set it up so that the average Joe can't afford to play on Gore's terms," writes blogger Dan Riehl.
Read more: www.digitaljournal.com...

edit on 31-8-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Hansen warns not to drink sustainable energy Kool-Aid

Can renewable energies provide all of society’s energy needs in the foreseeable future? It is conceivable in a few places, such as New Zealand and Norway. But suggesting that renewables will let us phase rapidly off fossil fuels in the United States, China, India, or the world as a whole is almost the equivalent of believing in the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy.

Many well-meaning people proceed under the illusion that ‘soft’ renewable energies [3] will replace fossil fuels if the government tries harder and provides more subsidies. Meanwhile, governments speak greenwash while allowing pursuit of fossil fuels with increasingly destructive technologies (hydrofracking, mountaintop removal, longwall mining, drilling in the deepest ocean, the Arctic and other pristine environments) and development of unconventional fossil fuels [4].
It will be a tragedy if environmentalists allow the illusion of ‘soft’ energies to postpone demand for real solution of the energy, climate and national security problems. Solar power is just a small part of the solution. Subsidies yielding even its present tiny contribution may be unsustainable.

As long as fossil fuels are cheap, they will be burned. But fossil fuels are cheap only because they do not pay their costs to society. Costs include direct and indirect subsidies, human health costs from air and water pollution, and climate change impacts on current and future generations.

bravenewclimate.com...

Specifically, Hansen says, the Generation IV nuclear power plants now under development offer an alternative to burning coal that ought to be pursued, in this country and globally.
Gen IV plants use far more of the nuclear fuel that they process than their predecessors, leaving less waste and fewer headaches with waste storage. Gen IV waste also has a much shorter half life than the waste created by older plants, Hansen says. These advantages have made development of Gen-IV technology a priority in much of the world, including China and France (which has long relied on nuclear to power its economy).

thesciencecouncil.com...

James Hansen is indeed a very evil man. He is after all against allowing the oil companies to create much needed jobs destroying the environment. The truth is that destroying the environment is good, because then more jobs can be created cleaning up the environment later on. Air pollution is also a good thing as it allows more money to flow into the hands of the pharmaceutical industry creating more jobs. The coal industry for example, creates 500 billion dollars worth of damages in USA alone each year, which is a good thing as it forces people to spend more on medication, hospital visits, environmental remediation, all of which stimulates the economy.

And what's this crap about a carbon tax and dividend on dirty energy forcing them to actually pay for the damage they cause? That's not good for the oil companies, and after all, what's not good for the oil companies is also not good for me.

Why the hell would we want to end subsidies on solar energy? Solar energy is after all cheap and can solve all of the problems in the world, therefore it needs to be subsidized. It also needs backup since it doesn't operate all the time, thus solar energy allows the fossil fuel industry to continue. What a fantastic idea!

For some stupid reason Hansen also believes that one of the top five ways of fighting global warming is with 4th generation nuclear power plants that can destroy existing nuclear waste and utilize Thorium as fuel, that are also impossible to melt-down. What a dream that is! The 'Experimental Breeder Reactor II' that supposedly operated from 1965 to 1994 and verified it all was a lie pushed by nuclear cowboys. It really did not exist. And even if it was viable, why the hell would be want to do that? We could guarantee jobs for 10,000 years maintaining the existing stock of nuclear waste, which is a good thing.

This just proves that James Hansen was paid out by those wanting a carbon tax! It's a good thing he was arrested, I hope Al Gore is next. Flagged and starred. MC is continuing his/her fantastic work against the global warming aka climate change fraud!
edit on 31/8/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Well, I hope they give him bed sheets and a pillow case made from hemp. That would save the world, wouldn't it? Or, they should just give him one square of toilet paper each day to wipe his ass with. Now we're talking green.
edit on 31-8-2011 by Mentorman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MasterGemini

Sorry but you are the one being wrong here. A cooling of one area does not contradict the global warmiing. The key word is GLOBAL here. In fact the cooling of one area is the consequence of global warming., and thus empowers the fact, since a global warming would mean, as can be observed, the melting of the polar caps (north pole is now mostly water). This cold water will start to float away from the poles, to other areas, thus cooling them down.

Just check the link i posted from wikipedia will you?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

reply to post by MasterGemini

Sorry but you are the one being wrong here. A cooling of one area does not contradict the global warmiing. The key word is GLOBAL here. In fact the cooling of one area is the consequence of global warming., and thus empowers the fact, since a global warming would mean, as can be observed, the melting of the polar caps (north pole is now mostly water). This cold water will start to float away from the poles, to other areas, thus cooling them down.

Just check the link i posted from wikipedia will you?
[/quote

There is no global data to verify your global warming since the early 1900's. You need to read the post I was responding to.

Also you should read the article I linked to as it would really help you get a clue as to what you are arguing against.

In Africa, drought continues for the sixth consecutive year, adding terribly to the toll of famine victims. During 1972 record rains in parts of the U.S., Pakistan and Japan caused some of the worst flooding in centuries. In Canada's wheat belt, a particularly chilly and rainy spring has delayed planting and may well bring a disappointingly small harvest. Rainy Britain, on the other hand, has suffered from uncharacteristic dry spells the past few springs. A series of unusually cold winters has gripped the American Far West, while New England and northern Europe have recently experienced the mildest winters within anyone's recollection.

We are also talking climate change here. And data from one hemisphere is absolutely relevant especially when it is championed by scientists at fancy colleges that impress those lacking in critical thought.

Scientists have found other indications of global cooling. For one thing there has been a noticeable expansion of the great belt of dry, high-altitude polar winds — the so-called circumpolar vortex—that sweep from west to east around the top and bottom of the world. Indeed it is the widening of this cap of cold air that is the immediate cause of Africa's drought. By blocking moisture-bearing equatorial winds and preventing them from bringing rainfall to the parched sub-Sahara region, as well as other drought-ridden areas stretching all the way from Central America to the Middle East and India, the polar winds have in effect caused the Sahara and other deserts to reach farther to the south. Paradoxically, the same vortex has created quite different weather quirks in the U.S. and other temperate zones. As the winds swirl around the globe, their southerly portions undulate like the bottom of a skirt. Cold air is pulled down across the Western U.S. and warm air is swept up to the Northeast. The collision of air masses of widely differing temperatures and humidity can create violent storms—the Midwest's recent rash of disastrous tornadoes, for example.

Now I suggest you go back to your wikipedia graph and expand it to show the last 500 years instead of 150000 and you will be able to see, with better accuracy, the cooling trend.

Then you can go look at sunspot activity and read about its effects on global warming.

Throw in this
Weather Channel Founder: Sue Al Gore for Fraud
www.foxnews.com...

Do I need to mention the CERN data?[

And there is also this
Mars Melt Hints at Solar, Not Human, Cause for Warming, Scientist Says
news.nationalgeographic.com...

Sun Blamed for Warming of Earth and Other Worlds
www.livescience.com...

And so on and so on . . . . .

Oh and your link doesn't work.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

James Hansen is indeed a very evil man. He is after all against allowing the oil companies to create much needed jobs destroying the environment. The truth is that destroying the environment is good, because then more jobs can be created cleaning up the environment later on. Air pollution is also a good thing as it allows more money to flow into the hands of the pharmaceutical industry creating more jobs. The coal industry for example, creates 500 billion dollars worth of damages in USA alone each year, which is a good thing as it forces people to spend more on medication, hospital visits, environmental remediation, all of which stimulates the economy. And what's this crap about a carbon tax and dividend on dirty energy forcing them to actually pay for the damage they cause? That's not good for the oil companies, and after all, what's not good for the oil companies is also not good for me.

What kind of dope are you on? It's ok for companies to destroy the environment give people cancer and other illnesses because it may stimulate the economy? These disasters are felt for decades after the companies do their usual bad job of cleaning up. And companies sue to keep from paying for medical care for the workers. Companies care nothing for you or the environment.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

Dont get me wrong friend,

If they can do it so the surrounding area is safe, I'm all for it.

Remember "strip mining"? those areas are now some of the prettiest green areas around.

We were put here to "mind the store", just not destroy it. If we tear it all up, there wont be anything to salvage and no one to salvage it for.

THAT is conservation. Worrying about a tiny fish in a small area so that farmers in Cali cant get water? Thats just stupid.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join