It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETI* Institute's Allen Telescope Array is back on track! Private donors raised $200,000 in 45 days

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Good news guys, time to get crunching

news.discovery.com...

"If you haven't already heard the news, the SETI* Institute's Allen Telescope Array is back on track! Private donors raised $200,000 in 45 days, and the array is expected to resume looking for extraterrestrials (and doing other cool science) by mid-September."

Well, my pessimism was misguided, as over 2500 people to date, including luminaries like Jodie Foster, chipped in to help the array get back on its feet... or altaz mount, to be specific. When making her donation to the SETIStars campaign, Foster said:

I’m a SETIStar because, just like Ellie Arroway, the ATA is ‘good to go’ and we need to return it to the task of searching newly discovered planetary worlds for signs of extraterrestrial intelligence. In Carl Sagan’s book/movie Contact a radio signal from a distant star system ends humanity’s cosmic isolation and changes our world. The Allen Telescope Array could turn science fiction into science fact, but only if it is actively searching the skies. I support the effort to bring the array out of hibernation.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

Wonder how long they'll be willing to donate...it's one thing to get it going; it's another to keep it going for many more years to come, but sure I appreciate the effort atleast we're trying to make sure we're not alone in the universe and I think that's just what we need, to know we aren't the only ones out here...

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
old news

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
all that funding for another 50 years of silence.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I was under the assumption that paul allen was funding the search by himself...

Well, at least he funded the telescopes.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
They should rename to METI and start broadcasting, the aliens must be bored with all the TV channels they keep getting

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Old news. That's why this exact thread got closed down earlier today.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum
all that funding for another 50 years of silence.

Because there is nothing to reveal. SETI is kind of worthless, MUFON is doing times better job.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Imtor

yeah because ufology has produced such amazing results

new topics

top topics

join