It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ungrateful little whelps tried to sue their mother for bad parenting.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
What I can't believe is that this frivolous lawsuit was allowed to go on for two whole years.

When you read the kids list of grievances you'll want to punch them in the face for treating their own mother so badly.

Kids Sue Mom Over Toys, Cards, Party Dresses

It sounds like a joke, but sadly it’s not: Two grown Illinois children have spent the past two years suing their mother for “bad mothering” including, but not limited to, sending a birthday card her son didn’t like, not taking her daughter to a car show, failing to send college care packages, making her then-7-year-old wear his seatbelt, calling her daughter at midnight to ask her to come home after a homecoming celebration, failing to buy toys, and "haggling" over the price of a party dress. An Illinois appeals court finally dismissed the case last week, the Chicago Tribune reports.

It gets worse: The children, now 23 and 20 years old, were raised by their attorney father—who represented them in the case—in a $1.5 million home after their parents’ divorce in 1995. They wanted more than $50,000 for emotional distress, but the court found that none of their mother’s conduct was “extreme or outrageous.” Though the children’s father said in court papers that he tried to discourage the two from filing the lawsuit, their mother’s attorney says the lawsuit is actually the ex-husband’s attempt to “seek the ultimate revenge.”

Newser.com

What's even worse, the mom is out for all of her legal fees for this garbage lawsuit.

Its just a good thing that this case finally came before a judge with a little bit of common sense.

Last week, when the court record stood about a foot tall, an Illinois appeals court dismissed the case, finding that none of the mother's conduct was "extreme or outrageous." To rule in favor of her children, the court found, "could potentially open the floodgates to subject family child rearing to … excessive judicial scrutiny and interference."

Chicago Tribune

Dad, a lawyer, says he tried to talk the kids out of filing the lawsuit.

Anyone buying that load of baloney?

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
Dad, a lawyer, says he tried to talk the kids out of filing the lawsuit.

Anyone buying that load of baloney?

Yeah, I buy his story, in the same way that I just saw a pig flying out the window.

While I try to steer away from rash judgements, the fact that the estranged husband is a lawyer, coupled with the sheer frivolousness of this lawsuit, leads me to require strong evidence to refute the obvious.

This is a bad mix: a lawyer ( an inherently immoral profession ) who just happens to be a bitter ex-spouse + a society with a ridiculously litigious culture = not good.

I hope the mother manages to get her legal fees reimbursed somehow.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
In the UK system, if you lose you have to pay the opponents court fees. This discourages frivolous lawsuits because they get expensive.

Why isnt that the case in the US? Why didnt the judge award costs to the mother?

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Suing for such frivolous crap.

You want to sue parents for bad parenting do it because your mother was a paranoid schizophrenogenic drama queen who went out of her way to traumatize and cripple her offspring so she had some interesting issue to make her life relevant and your father was a stranger groping black out drunk.

Not because you got a lame card in the mail.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Well, I didn't read anywhere that the mother made them drink hot sauce or take a freezing cold shower, so obviously her lack of discipline triggered this...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/50a4a7a28440.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

I read this earlier. I hope life reaches up and slaps these kids into the poor house. Along with the father. Justice will not be served until they are living under a bridge.

At that point, they can join the rest of us in the real world.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

fear not, these adult children are getting their due as we type. this article surfaced on fark recently, and a person there that respects their parents but does not respect self-indulgent spoiled cretins shared the article and Facebook pages with friends on 4/chan. something tells me this will result in a learning experience not soon forgotten.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Oh how dare that mother be so creul, making a seven year old wear his seatbelt well thats child abuse! And trying to get a bargain on a dress that will probably only be worn for one night? Thats a perfect example of child neglet right there, forget the woman who stuck her kid in a cage, forget the woman who cooked her baby in a microwave (cause she was drunk and thought the baby was the bottle), forget the thousands of parents who sell their children for crack, beat their children to a pulp and are too drunk or high to feed their kids or get them to school, this mother from the OP is just the worst psycho out there! Lock her up, clearly she is a danger to her children and society!
*sarcasm done anger not*

What an f***** up world we live in, why did it take the courts this long to dismiss a case so ridiculous! Bet the judge assigned plays golf with the douche bag dad, I cant think of any other reason why a case like this could take 2 years to be resolved. Those kids need to be taken to Africa or the middle east, get a taste of what true suffering is, or maybe they should be forced to live in the home of one of those junkie mothers maybe then theyll have some appreciation of their own poor mother. Now I dont know what that mother is like, we dont know she could be a right cow, but the fact that there hasnt been any charges of ACTUAL abuse speaks volumes. The kids are brats, the dads a douche bag, and the courts/judge is STUPID for keeping this going for 2 years!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Rhebefree

That's exactly what I thought when I read this. With all the cases of real child abuse going on in the world these days, those two spoiled rotten brat rich kids have the temerity to claim that because they weren't pampered properly, they deserve damages for emotional distress!!

If there were any REAL justice in the world, the judge would sentence those jerks to work in a shelter for abused or homeless children so they can see how good they really had it growing up.

Why is it that the kids who grow up with the most think they have the worst upbringing?

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
reply to post by Rhebefree

Why is it that the kids who grow up with the most think they have the worst upbringing?

Exactly! Just look at the Columbine kids. A couple of kids who "thought" they had it bad. And dealt more pain in return. For what?

I am sick of the emtitlement mentality. My folks are wealthy, but they don't give their kids squat....other than advice, which can be quite good...most times.

I don't expect squat from my folks, but I happen to think that they raised a good kid.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I only have two words for them... Spoiled brats, lead on by their father.

Go to a 3rd world country then you will know what love is in the face off dire circumstances, you two spoilded gets.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousFem
I only have two words for them... Spoiled brats, lead on by their father.

Yes, they appear to be spoilt brats, but their lawyer father apparently took custody of them in 1995, which meant the children were roughly 4 and 7 when he was legally responsible for their upbringing.

He can't have inculcated them with any kind of decent values, but that's not surprising considering that he is an amoral, money-grubbing lawyer.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
It is good that this lawsuit was dismissed, as the claims of these ungrateful children were absolutely ridiculous. The mother seems like she was a good mother, and at least they got cards and toys. Some children do not get this kind of attention while growing up, so they should be thankful that someone cared about them.

What is next, do we need to get our children to sign releases when they are eighteen, releasing parents from liability for future lawsuits due to alleged bad parenting?

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Found the court order. Only a few pages in so far, but it's entertaining reading. What a couple of brats!

Miner Vs. Garrity

top topics

join