It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Breakthrough in hydrogen production

page: 2
24
<< 1   >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Sounds good but...
They haven't actually done it yet.
Yes. A better title for this thread would have been: "Theoretical Breakthrough in theoretical hydrogen production".

When they actually do it, then it will be a breakthrough.


I do think we will make advances in the way we produce hydrogen, but the new methods need to be evaluated in practical applications.




posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
If the process in the OP is eventually found to be possible.

Am I understanding this right?

A. "Normal" oxyhydrogen is made with electricity and the product is separated at creation by oxygen collection at the anode and hydrogen collection at the cathode, thereby easy to store?

B. "Mixed" oxyhydrogen is what would be produced by this new type of metallic alloy reaction and because of it's inate instability, it would be advised to use it to generate power immediately after creation?

C. Power generation by "B" used as power source for "A" would be, solar input without photoelectric cells and stored power capacity without batteries?

This sure would impact some huge companies if proven.



posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage
 


OH gee thanks phage, due to my inferior mind i wasn't able to read that myself

until you posted it, it wasn't real. Where would ATS be without you?



posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
It could also solve the shortage of fresh water. I wonder how the material would work with ocean water, buoyant hydrogen generation of the coast sending the hydrogen to a shore line facility which uses it to run turbines...



posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut
reply to post by pteridine
 


With the photolysis set, would it be possible to coerce the separated oxygen and hydrogen to migrate through the water towards an electrical terminal and thereby be separate enough to be collected safely?

I do realise that this applied charge would somewhat negate efficiency of the process but if the initial process were efficient enough, then a little wasted energy would not be a real problem.


No. Molecular oxygen and hydrogen have no net charge and will not separate in an electric field.



posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by twinmommy38
If the process in the OP is eventually found to be possible.

Am I understanding this right?

A. "Normal" oxyhydrogen is made with electricity and the product is separated at creation by oxygen collection at the anode and hydrogen collection at the cathode, thereby easy to store?

B. "Mixed" oxyhydrogen is what would be produced by this new type of metallic alloy reaction and because of it's inate instability, it would be advised to use it to generate power immediately after creation?

C. Power generation by "B" used as power source for "A" would be, solar input without photoelectric cells and stored power capacity without batteries?

This sure would impact some huge companies if proven.


You have the right idea. Photolysis produces a mixture. Electrolysis produces the individual gases.

There is no reason for C. In fact, it is probably better to use solar cells to generate electricity directly and reduce the danger of handling the mixture while eliminating the inefficiencies of a multistep process. Electricity generation also has more flexibility in that it can be used directly or used to charge batteries or make hydrogen, as needed.



posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by pteridine

Originally posted by chr0naut
reply to post by pteridine
 


With the photolysis set, would it be possible to coerce the separated oxygen and hydrogen to migrate through the water towards an electrical terminal and thereby be separate enough to be collected safely?

I do realise that this applied charge would somewhat negate efficiency of the process but if the initial process were efficient enough, then a little wasted energy would not be a real problem.


No. Molecular oxygen and hydrogen have no net charge and will not separate in an electric field.


Thanks for that clarification. I was thinking of things only from an atomic perspective, but you are right and they would form molecules immediately.

Perhaps then, either the oxygen molecule or the hydrogen molecule could be "bound" within the chemistry of the solution (water + something else, I was thinking of something similar to iron binding to the oxygen), liberating only the other molecule as a gas.

edit on 1/9/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut
Thanks for that clarification. I was thinking of things only from an atomic perspective, but you are right and they would form molecules immediately.

Perhaps then, either the oxygen molecule or the hydrogen molecule could be "bound" within the chemistry of the solution (water + something else, I was thinking of something similar to iron binding to the oxygen), liberating only the other molecule as a gas.


This is possible but will not be economical. An oxygen acceptor must be in a reduced form. This trades a reduced oxygen acceptor for hydrogen. If you had metallic iron, it would be easier to react the iron directly with steam and form hydrogen in one step. As I said, you would be much better off using solar cells to generate electricity and then use that to do what you wish with it, including electrolysis of water.



new topics

top topics



 
24
<< 1   >>

log in

join